Suspended

Question PC sound card S/PDIF -> receiver optical in

Someone posted a similar thread, but he decided on new speakers...

What I want to do is run a cable from my Soundblaster Audigy 2's S/PDIF out to the optical in on my Yamaha receiver. I realize I'll have to buy a converter to get to optical and (assuming it's cheaper) do the conversion at the receiver end, but what do I do about the fact that A.) I have to convert from mini-plug at the sound card, and B.) get from my computer room, up through the attic, and down the wall to a jack at the receiver end in the game/entertainment room?

Rich

Forum Regular
    Doesn't your Yamaha receiver have a coax digital input? The problem is you're trying to convert an electrical signal into an optical cable which I would presume is very diffcult, pricey, and not worth it. However, running s/pdif to a coax input is really easy. Just go to accessories4less.com or bettercables.com or something like (hell, maybe even radioshack) and buy a *really* long well shielded quality rca coax cable. Then get a mini-plug to rca adapter, and you're set.

Hope this helps.

ronning

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Someone posted a similar thread, but he decided on new speakers...

What I want to do is run a cable from my Soundblaster Audigy 2's S/PDIF out to the optical in on my Yamaha receiver. I realize I'll have to buy a converter to get to optical and (assuming it's cheaper) do the conversion at the receiver end, but what do I do about the fact that A.) I have to convert from mini-plug at the sound card, and B.) get from my computer room, up through the attic, and down the wall to a jack at the receiver end in the game/entertainment room?

Rich

Suspended

Forgot to mention...

The only coax input on the receiver is being used by the Panasonic DVD player, which only provides a coax digital out. I suppose I could convert it's output to optical to free up the coax in on my HTR 5740. Thanks for the ideas.

Rich

Suspended

Death of a forum?

I've killed many threads in my time, but this is definately the first sub-forum!!!

I'm going to start at the sound card end with a mini-plug to mono RCA cable plugged into a length of RG-6 shielded coax cable via RCA to F connector adapter, and at the other end a connection from F to digital coax then into the coax in at the receiver. I've discussed using RG-6 with a couple of engineers I work with and they've told me that the single stranded copper conductor can transfer low frequencies without any adverse effects even though it's designed for much higher frequency video signals. Skin effect and jitter should not be an issue either.

I'd really appreciate any expert comments or criticisims, as I'm not really finding any similar threads here. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I've killed many threads in my time, but this is definately the first sub-forum!!!

I'm going to start at the sound card end with a mini-plug to mono RCA cable plugged into a length of RG-6 shielded coax cable via RCA to F connector adapter, and at the other end a connection from F to digital coax then into the coax in at the receiver. I've discussed using RG-6 with a couple of engineers I work with and they've told me that the single stranded copper conductor can transfer low frequencies without any adverse effects even though it's designed for much higher frequency video signals. Skin effect and jitter should not be an issue either.

I'd really appreciate any expert comments or criticisims, as I'm not really finding any similar threads here. Thanks.

This sounds like an ever increasingly complicated eneavor...

have you considered a wi-fi network audio player for your stereo??

Suspended
    The "n" in my screen name is a variable that stands for complicated...

I have a wireless router but I don't think that would help. ;-) Could it be that I've actually stumped the pro's here, or maybe it's because I'm just a dumbazz n00b with a low post count.

Thanks for your suggestions though ronning. If I knew more about SACD, I'd offer some input in your thread.

Rich

Thread Information