Forum Regular

Arcam Diva CD73T Any opinions?

Hello, Although I have not auditioned it yet, I've read good things about it. I have a 2 channel set up with an inexpensive Marantz CD player. I'm heavily invested in Red Book CDs & I have no interest in home theater, SACD or DVD-A. I would like a CD player that does a good job of extracting the data on my CDs & is very musical. Thanks in advance, Michael

Forum Regular
    Hi Michael, until June this year I owned an Arcam CD73T (had it for about 2 years with never a problem) and the only reason I said goodbuy to it was that I had managed to save enough cash to finally get hold of an Arcam CD23T.

The CD73T is an excellent CD spinner and if you decide to purchase it I am sure that you will not be dissapointed, it is a dynamic detailed player which is also very musical, however in the interest of fairness you should also audition the Cambridge Audio Azure 640C, I think this is the current model designation, good luck
    Sagem HD45S, Yamaha RX-V2400RDS, Denon DVD 3910, Arcam CD 23T, PS 3, Kef Q7 + Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters Front, Kef iQ6C Center, Kef Q7 Side and Kef Q55.2 Rear Surrounds, Velodyne SPL800R, Kimber Power Kords, Kimber Select KS1011 Interconect CD to Amp, Kimber Tonic interconnects all other sources Kimber 8 PR Speaker Kable, Soundstyle Equipment Rack

Forum Regular
    I've had my CD73 for about 4 months now and I absolutely love it. I made the lateral move from a Rega Planet 2000 to the Arcam as the Rega wouldn't play certain CD-R's and the Arcam had no problems with them.

The fact that it's upgradeable to CD192 status was also appealing. It's a fine player in the under $1000 segment. The fact that it can be had for less than $600 makes the deal even better.

You owe it to yourself to audition as many as possible including the Cambridge Audio model mentioned above. Models from Rega, Roksan, Music Hall, Creek and Rotel would appear to be the main competition.

Arcam's CD players are their bread & butter and they put a lot of thought into their designs. I opened my unit up to add a 3M steel damping sheet to the inside cover above the transport only to find they alread welded one in place!

Highly recommended!

Bill

Forum Regular

BillB & Ambientfish, What speakers, amps, preamps???

Thank you, Michael

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    I can second, or is that third? the opinion on the Arcam.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Number9
    Hello, Although I have not auditioned it yet, I've read good things about it. I have a 2 channel set up with an inexpensive Marantz CD player. I'm heavily invested in Red Book CDs & I have no interest in home theater, SACD or DVD-A. I would like a CD player that does a good job of extracting the data on my CDs & is very musical. Thanks in advance, Michael
    i have had one for about 4 months now and like it a lot.it is very musical for the price. it does require run in time before sounding its best and i know this sounds odd but mine needs to be turned on for about 15 minutes before sounding its best,so i just leave it on all the time so know problem.
    if you choose it enjoy

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It doesnt sound odd to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    i have had one for about 4 months now and like it a lot.it is very musical for the price. it does require run in time before sounding its best and i know this sounds odd but mine needs to be turned on for about 15 minutes before sounding its best,so i just leave it on all the time so know problem.
    if you choose it enjoy
    I will often "run up" the system for a half hour or so before I do any serious listening. I also leave all my components on, especially the amp.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Hi musicman1999, this seems to be a common trait of Arcam CD spinners, my CD73T and CD23T both require 10-15 minutes of warm up time, however, this is not a problem as I usually get home around 7 in the evening and switch on my amp and CD player to let it warm up whilst I have some tea and a bath, by the time this process has been completed my gear is ready to rock.

I've had my CD23T since the beginning of June and it is still improving, it is much smoother now and it is giving it's best in the detail department.

My equipment is listed in my signature Michael, I happen to really like the sound of KEF speakers with their concentric drivers and consequent excellent off axis performance and huge sound stage, I'm not sure if there is a US speaker manufacturer that uses this technique, but if there is you should give any speaker constructed in this manner an audition.
    Sagem HD45S, Yamaha RX-V2400RDS, Denon DVD 3910, Arcam CD 23T, PS 3, Kef Q7 + Townshend Maximum Super Tweeters Front, Kef iQ6C Center, Kef Q7 Side and Kef Q55.2 Rear Surrounds, Velodyne SPL800R, Kimber Power Kords, Kimber Select KS1011 Interconect CD to Amp, Kimber Tonic interconnects all other sources Kimber 8 PR Speaker Kable, Soundstyle Equipment Rack

Forum Regular
    Thanks again, Michael

Thread Information