Thread: Sony MD PLayer

AR Newbie Registered Member

Sony MD PLayer

I want a device to use while working out ...is the Sony MD player a better alternative than a MP3 player ??
    What if any are the disadvantages of the MD player
    all replies are apreciated
    Paul

Forum Regular

I own a Sony MD Player

and I am pleased. It's taken a bit of a beating from being dropped a few times. What I like about it is that it is also compatible with WMA files which MP3 players are not..It holds a nice few songs, more than some MP3 players, less than others. They are fairly priced. The only thing is that the Play/stop/track fwd/back button is a little messed up and it doesnt record anymore..My friend has the same button problem..But if you get one and dont drop it like I did you'll be pleased

Forum Regular

I'd skip the md player..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clark
    I want a device to use while working out ...is the Sony MD player a better alternative than a MP3 player ??
    What if any are the disadvantages of the MD player
    all replies are apreciated
    Paul
    ..if all you want is a player to use while working out. It's overkill and less durable than a solid state mp3 player. My current favorite go-anywhere mp3 player is the Rio Cali. It can be had for less than 150 US, is mmc expandable and durable. It uses 1 aaa battery and gets about 12 hours of playback. Run it out of power and all you need is another aaa battery, not a wall socket, charger and hours of time. It also has an fm tuner, you can set bookmarks and even has a stop watch. I'd stay away from an md player or hard drive based mp3 player for workouts or any activity where there's a good chance you're going to drop it. MD players are more versatile than most mp3 players but unless you plan on doing a lot of recording there's really no reason to own one.

Forum Regular

Hmm...

My MD Player lasts 48 hours on a AA battery and the newer ones last even longer...

Most solid state MP3 players have roughly a quarter to a half G of storage space. so lets say roughly it can store 85 to 150 songs, 3 mags a song on average.

My sony MD player can store around 65 songs per disc when I record using the long play mode. However, I own around a dozen discs, which means I have a total of around 780 songs lying around. I listen to all kinds of music, and usually on any given day I have a perference for a particular type of music, so before I leave the house I pack up another 4 discs to bring along. I can pick and choose from all kinds of music whenever I want without ever having to download / erase songs from my computer, which you'll do with a MP3 player.

So it really is an issue of how you listen to music. I agree that a HD based mp3 player is too heavy to use for exercise, and the battery time for MD and SS MP3 players are way more than decent - my MD used less than 1 AA battery when I took it to London recently for a week. SS MP3s are lighter and smaller so it wins in that regard, but I do find that MD is more flexible.

AR Newbie Registered Member

MP3 workouts

for gym music or music for fitness in general, I recommend european dance music.......

it's ALWAYS the best motivational tool for me...

.....and you don't have to tell anyone at the office if u just listen to it on the mp3 player at the gym ....

.... here's a compilation series on itunes that I recommend -- the "Euro Club Hits" series:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...Club+Hits+Vol+

Thread Information