Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Old CDP vs New CDP

As I have posted before my 9 year old cd player has problems with the left channel producing no sound until it is smacked. I recently removed it from my main system and am now using the changer protion of my cd recorder. My single disc player cost the same years ago as my cd recorder cost last year. I had only used the recorder to convert a friends records to cds and to copy cds. I always had the attitude that I wanted a single disc cd player and not a changer. The first thing I noticed is the improvement in sound in players over 8 years. The highs are smoother and much more extended. More seperation between instruments and background vocals with much tighter bass. I have also become quite happy with the convenience of a changer. My old player was the Sony CDP XA1 ES and the recorder is the Sony RCD-W500C. What I would like to know is who uses changers? I am also wondering to what level I would need to go to improve upon the new Sony. As I have said it is an obvious improvement over the old player. I was thinking about the Cambridge Audio 640C but I am now thinking about more music. Opinions please.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Linear Guy

see your point.

I appreciate the problem, John. It is simply more convenient to have a changer. My wife loves my stereo but doesn't like interrupting her routine to change CD's. I with her on that one. When I settle in for some good listening in the comfy chair with a heating pad on some arthritic appendage I hate getting up myself.

I've had three changers, 2 different Sony and the Denon 380. I noticed that the 380 reieved reasonable good reviews for sound. I thought it was OK at the time. Problem is, none of the changers I had are even in the same ball park sonically as my Cambridge 640.

In the absence of available high-spec changers, one option is to get an outboard DAC to optimize sound. It is another piece of gear though.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Thanks daviethek for your response. I really like my CA 640A so I am sure I would like the CA 640C. What surprised me was how much better the Sony recorder/changer sounded in comparison to my old Sony. Nine years ago I purcahsed the old Sony single disc player for $300 as a demo and the recorder/changer cost $300 a year ago. I had never used it as a player in my main system until the old player went silent again in the left channel. I plugged it in and loaded some discs and began to listen. There has been a lot of progress in inexpensive players. Sound was more focused. Timing and pace are better judging by how much more the music moves me literally. It is now easier to follow different instruments in complex music. I will be anxious to hear the CA 640C if it is even better than this. The Sony recorder was purchased by a friend so I could turn his vinyl into cds and the recorder was given to me for my labors so I can justify buying another cd player.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thread Information