Forum Regular

No sound with WinTV Go-Plus TV tuner card

I got a new WinTV Go-Plus cable TV tuner for my PC. The problem is that there is no sound if I use my external soundcard (M-Audio Audiophile USB). If I use my stock internal soundcard (Sound Blaster Live) then the sound works. I don't understand, cause my external card works with everything else played from my computer. Any ideas?

Also, another problem with the WinTV TV tuner is that even when the sound does work (through my internal sound card), it is only in mono and pretty bad quality (lots of background hiss). Whats going on?

I'm not 100% sure on your card, but on most TV tuner cards the only way to get audio is by connecting the analog audio out from the card to the line-in or mic input on the computer's sound card with a stereo 1/8" (3-conductor) patch cable. Make sure the line-in or mic volume is up in the Windows Mixer and mute is not selected. Check your instructions or try to get more info about your card on the manufacturer's web site if you don't have them. Might be options for selecting mono/stereo and the proper sound card input in the TV software.

Might not be able to use your USB soundcard if there are no analog inputs.

Cable may be bad. Are you using a MONO (2-conductor) 1/8" patch cable? If so, that's the problem.

If you're plugged into the line-in jack, you could try the mic jack (maybe one's bad). May have to select mic input as the sound source in the TV software. Make sure mic boost is NOT selected in the Windows Mixer.

If all else fails, I'd try hooking the audio out from the TV card straight to the computer speakers if you're using them (just plug the stereo 1/8" plug from the computer speakers straight into the audio out on the TV card, this should rule out a bad cable or analog ins on the soundcard), or (using the proper adapters) to whatever amp you're using. If that doesn't work, the problem could be with the TV card drivers (try installing latest version from manufacturer's web site) or the card may be defective.

Shouldn't be getting any noise using a good TV card and a Soundblaster.
    Last edited by royphil345; 07-24-2005 at 03:09 PM.

Thread Information