Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I certainly agree with your point about tubes injecting some harmonics or distortion. But if the end result is a more pleasing or likable sound then it is a non issue. With my hybrid tube gear, I have many different tubes that have different sound. Some certainly have a more detailed and resolving sound while others have an overly warm and smoothed over sound with less detail, especially in the high frequencies. But I have found tubes that offer the best of both worlds, removing any high frequency harshness and giving me a neutral to slightly warm sound that greatly appeals to me with out loosing detail and resolution.
    At one time I was an adamant "accuracy" advocate but I've a evolved a bit towards the euphonic point of view. No, nothing wrong with ameliorating harshness or adding a little romantic warmth or ambience it that increases you musical enjoyment.

I'd like to experiment with tubes myself, cash funds being the big constraint. I'd like to try a tube power amp of at least 60wpc for my Magneplanars. AbeCollins over at AA, an amplifier guru if ever there was one, has recently become an advocate for the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum integrated with K120 tubes that's good for 100wpc. I love to try that or the corresponding power amp, the Atlas Magnum ...

Forum Regular
    Feanor, congrats on the new Schitt. Is the optical link on the unit an input or output connection?
    My audio lab:
    Qinpu A-6000 MK ll Integrated Amp
    Blue Marble Audio Speaker Wire
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850
    Grant Fidelity DAC-11/Phillips 7DJ8 tube

Parasound Zamp V.3/Parasound ZPre2 Preamp
    Signal Cable Analog 2 Speaker Wire
    Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001
    Stello DA 100 Signature DAC

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Signal Cable Classic Speaker Cable
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Various power cords, I.C.'s, optical, coax, and analog cables.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Feanor, congrats on the new Schitt. Is the optical link on the unit an input or output connection?
    The optical link is an input; the only outputs are the analog L+R pair.

I'm still highly impressed with the Bifrost. The transparency and dynamics are well beyond expectation. However if you are looking for something that will "tame" a shrill or raunchy amp, this ain't it.

Forum Regular
    Bill, thanks for the insight on the Bifrost. Recently, a buddy loaned me his Vincent DAC-1 to review. The Vincent has only 3 inputs, Coax,Toslink, and USB. Regardless of which input I used the unit has a loud clicking relay switch and it goes off at the start and end of EVERY track. My G.F. Dac-11 also has a clicking relay with the digital inputs but only clicks when the disc is loading and when the push play button is pressed but no clicking the rest of the way.

Does the Bifrost DAC have any clicking going on?
    Last edited by LeRoy; 04-21-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Bill, thanks for the insight on the Bifrost. Recently, I a buddy loaned me his Vincent DAC-1 to review. The Vincent has only 3 inputs, Coax,Toslink, and USB. Regardless of which input it used the unit has a loud clicking relay switch and it goes off at the start and end of EVERY track. My G.F. Dac-11 also has a clicking relay with the digital inputs but only clicks when the disc is loading and when the push play button is pressed but no clicking the rest of the way.

Does the Bifrost DAC have any clicking going on?
    I haven't heard anything from the Bifrost the resembles the Vincent behaviour. I seems to recall the Bifrost gives off a very soft click when it first starts of 24/192 files, but not every file, and again when it starts to play files of 24/96 or lower rez. I haven't yet tried a CDP as source so I'm not sure what would happen it that case.

Forum Regular
    Bill, thanks again for the insight to the Bifrost DAC. I am trying to find evidence of a possible new design trend whereby clicking relays are the norm.
    My audio lab:
    Tannoy Mercury V4
    HHB CDR-850

Dali Ikon 2 mk 2
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

HT:
    Arcam AVR 200
    Mirage Nanosat
    Rel R-528 Subwoofer
    Marantz SACD/DVD DV6001

My Bifrost is currently back at Schiit Audio being fitted with the Uber Analog upgrade -- I can't hardly wait to get it back since I'm having to make do with my previous, cheapo SMSL SD-1955, which while great for $60, ain't in the same league as the Bifrost. (See my concurrent post about rolling opamps in the SD-1955 HERE.)

The Bifrost, both standard and upgraded versions, are reviewed in the August '13 Stereophile by Jon Iverson. Iverson said, "the Biforst has the highest ratio of value to price of any product I've reviewed".

Now that's the Schiit (I know corny). But I have also heard great things about the Shiit products and Paul McGowan of PS Audio just wrote a piece about Schiit products and how good they are for the money and he knows the guys that started the company. I believe it is Jason Stoddard from Sumo, and Mike Moffat of Theta so Schiit has a good pedigree. I would have probably looked at them as a possible product back when I bought My PS Audio Digilink 3 but after buying that piece then trading it in for the NuWave I love the PS Audio sound. But would love to hear the Schiit and see how it compares to some of the other dacs out there under 1k. I really like the option to change out the USB card on the dac so if things change or you want to add another capability to it later they might offer another USB card so that can be done. And I like the ability to do upgrades to it as well.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07 View Post
    .... I really like the option to change out the USB card on the dac so if things change or you want to add another capability to it later they might offer another USB card so that can be done. And I like the ability to do upgrades to it as well.
    In fact they are (already) offering in a USB upgrade for the Bifrost and the Gungnir DACs.

The only improvement they mention is the ability to handle 176.2 kHz sampling rate. I don't have any music that rate. I did get the original USB with my Bifrost and it works very well, plus I generally use S/PDIF coax, so I won't be upgrading.

Bifrost now UPGRADED to Uber Analog!

I sent my Bifrost to Schiit Audio for their recent Uber Analog upgrade, $100 installed (plus shipping). You can order the board and install it yourself for $70, but I think the small extra charge & shipping cost is worth it. See HERE.

The Uber Analog is the single-ended version of the analog section of the higher-priced Gungnir DAC. It's all descrete and without capacitors in the signal path. I'm pleased with the results and recommend it although the improvement over the base version is fairly subtle. The character of the sound remains the same, i.e. excellent transparency and PRaT, but no tube-type warming.

Sterephile recently review the Bifrost and Bifrost Uber, see HERE. John Iverson, the reviewer said, "Regardless of price, the Schiit Bifrost is a carefully designed and beautifully built DAC. I can see its appeal. In fact, the Bifrost has the highest ratio of value to price of any product I've reviewed.".

My SECOND upgrade on the way

Some time ago I upgraded Schiit Audio Bifrost from the base version to 'Uber analog' version, now I'll be upgrading to the 'Multibit' version.

Schiit Audio has been as good as its hype about providing upgradability. E.g. the Bifrost upgradability has permitted:
    • USB to be added via a card
    • USB to be upgraded via newer, different card
    • the 'Uber' analog section upgrade
    • more recently, a '4490' DAC and analog upgrade
    • and now the 'Multibit' upgrade.

The 'Multibit' upgrade replaces the previous DAC and analog section with Schiit's new, proprietary "closed-form filtering" DSP and "multi-bit", a.k.a. "ladder" or R-2R DACs and, as well, a new analog section. Multibit was first introduced in Schiit's top-of-the-line Yggdrasil model, ($2300). Trickle-down then happened to the Gungnir model whose older version is upgradable for $500, and finally to the Bifrost for $250. Not surprisingly, the lower models' upgrades are less extreme in terms of the components used.

Unfortunately none of these Schiit models does DSD, a format that I guess is inherently incompatible with R-2R DACs.

The Bifrost with 'Multibit' card, which includes DSP, DAC, and analog section: the 'Multibit' card is the daughter board on the right-hand side ...

My Bifrost Multibit upgrade arrived yesterday and is installed, though I had problems with the new C-Media USB driver. It's been 'On' for >24 hours and played for abut 6 hours.

The upgrade includes a new analog section as well as the new DSP and DAC. My main impression at this point is that it delivers a significantly, (not to say giganticly), better resolution. This translates into not just more "detail", but more spatial information, firmer imaging, more define instrument decays, and sweetness in the mid-range and highs. I think the deep bass might be a bit improved too.

Congrat's on the upgrade!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Congrat's on the upgrade!
    Thanks!

While I wouldn't assume that the Bifrost Multibit is close to much higher price DACs, (such as you Luxman), I do think it's a bargain. I considered going to the Schiit's Gungnir Multibit that's US$1250, the weak Canadian dollar put the kibosh on that for me. For the well-heeled Schiit's Yggdrasil ought to be considered based on my experience with the Bifrost Multibit.

It's interesting to hear what better components can do to improve no-so-good recordings. Great recordings sound greater, but the mediocre sound even more surprisingly better -- harshness reduced, new spatial detail revealed, and instruments and voices separated from each other. Of course, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's tail", as my grandmother used to say, but I have various CDs e.g. from the mid-'80s that were unlistenable through my Techinics CD player and Phase Linear 400 amp that have become quite enjoyable today.

Now all you need is a Regen to take it to the next level-better clarity, detail, bass and dynamics. Well worth the money and then some.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Now all you need is a Regen to take it to the next level-better clarity, detail, bass and dynamics. Well worth the money and then some.
    Thanks for the tip.

Presently I'm using a Schiit Wyrd ahead of the Schiit Bifrost, which, by most accounts is effective if not quite as effect as the Regen. I have also tried the AudioQuest Jitterbug: (1) Jitterbug => Bifrost, (2) Jitterbug =>Wyrd => Bifrost, (3) Jitterbug in parallel with the DAC connection, and of course (4) no Jitterbug

I haven't done close AB comparisons with each of these combos, but I haven't heard a noticeable differences in casual listening. (I'm not insisting that there IS not difference or that I might not hear some under different circumstances.) In my experience "mileage may differ" using noise and vibration reducing tweaks.. Right now I'm disinclined to pop another Cdn$250 on the Regen.

In case of the Jitterbug I have found that it prevents me from playing hi-rez files on the Bifrost -- Foobar tells me the my device won't play 24/88.2 or 24/96; without the Jitterbug these file play well. Also the Jitterbug prevents Windows from recognizing my SMSL DAC I use ahead of my Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp. At this point, in my case, the Jitterbug is a waste of money, albeit not all that much money.

You should be able to sell the JB. It works fine with Hi-Rez in my system but it accentuates sybilants. It makes a nice improvement in my son's system with the AQ Dragon Fly DAC though
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

After about 30 hours of listening I can affirm that my expectation for the Bifrost Multibit have been met or exceeded.

Early reviews of Schiit's top of the line Yggdrasil DAC indicated that this DAC was exceptionally revealing. In accord with that, if not not necessarily to the same degree as the much pricier model, the Bifrost Multibit is certainly a most revealing, precise, and detailed in the best sense, DAC.

I don't often listen to my small Jazz collection but I did tonight, including a 24/192 version of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album from HD Tracks. I was struck by how the characteristics of individual instruments were remarkably well define beyond anything I'd heard. Instruments were precisely and stably placed n the soundstage and well separated from each other. The soundstage itself was wide and deep but not necessarily to an unprecedented degree. The microdynamic potential of the recordings seemed totally achieved; percussion if all types and the betimes piercing sound of brass instruments was very intense. Jaw-dropping for me was the reproduction of cymbals, (an instrument that can sound dull and defuse on recordings); emphatically their distinctive crisp, shimmering sound was far more realistic that I've heard heretofore.

I can very strongly recommend that anybody looking for a DAC under $1k give the Bifrost Multibit a through check-out. Mind you, it isn't necessarily for everyone. The powerful dynamics and relentless differentiation of instruments precludes any description along the lines "warm" or "mellow". Conceivably on entry-level systems it might sound bright or dry, but these terms don't apply on my system I'm glad to say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information