Forum Regular

Network Audio Player - need primer

My kids have asked me about playing hi-rez music as well as streaming services etc. I know little about this. Here is the information from my Marantz SA8004 SACD player:

Front and rear panel USB inputs expand your musical horizons as never before. Now you can enjoy your iPhone and iPod audio files via a digital connection and hear them anew though your audio system courtesy of the SA8004’s advanced circuitry.
    In addition to your iPod and iPhone files, you can “push” high definition digital music files from your computer to the SA8004. If you use either the coaxial or optical rear panel digital inputs, the SA8004 handles 24-bit PCM data at sampling rates up to 192 kHz.
    The SA8004 also accepts data from any USB stick or USB hard drive storage device.
    Flexible Digital Outputs
    The SA8004 includes two rear-panel digital outputs. These outputs provide an S/PDIF signal even when the USB input is receiving iTunes music files.

So is this all I need to play "hi res" files via the USB inputs (or optical input, or do I need something else? I recently looked at the Marantz NA8005 Network Audio Player, but worried it is a bit redundent other than possibly it's streaming capabilities.

Here is what the NA8005 has:

The wide source connectivity of the NA8005 includes connection to an external digital audio source, such as a CD player, and when connected to your home network via the RJ-45 LAN port, you can stream tracks from your PC or Mac. The NA8005 is also equipped with Apple AirPlay® which lets you stream your favorite tracks through your home network from your iPod touch®, iPhone and iPad®. A wide range of digital audio file formats are supported, including FLAC (up to 192 kHz) and ALAC (up to 96 kHz) lossless audio files, as well as stereo DSD audio files (2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz).

Can someone help me figure out whether my SA8004 is enough or if I should get the NA8005 ? Or is there a better option at a similar price point ($800-$1,000) that will expand me into a connected music world.

Marantz PM 11S3 Integrated Amp
    Marantz SA 8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall MMF 9.1 turntable
    Focal Chorus 836V speakers
    Focal Chorus SW 800v subwoofer
    Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables
    AZ WOW interconnects
    AZ El Nino power cables
    VPI Turntable interconnect
    Sennheiser HD-700 headphones

Hi-Rez music is just as it is stated, Hi-Rez. Everything starts at the source, if the source is a IPhone or some other portable device 95% sure it will not be Hi-Rez. Mp3 and ITunes from downloaded sources are about 256kbps range and streaming services may be even lower in some cases. If you plan to rip your own collection the best format is .WAV if disk space is a problem/issue go with .FLAC. There are sites (HD Tracks) that sales Hi-Rez downloadable music, but it is not cheap. Even then you need to make sure whatever device you plan to use as your transport can actually playback those files.

As far as your transport option you need to be looking at either stand alone DNLA player that can support storage disk (USB, Hard drives) or a computer setup for storage/playback through a Digital Audio Receiver (DAR). DAR's are the more popular choice do to their flexibility in placement.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Thread Information