Thread: NAD player

Forum Regular

NAD player

Picked up a NAD 521BEE as a demo unit from the local hifi store for $300. I've heard this unit before on a very similiar system and was impressed for the value but when I got home I noticed mine was noticeably louder. It was a scratching sound which was obviously coming from the disc. Is this normal with some NAD components for them to be quite vocal? It seems to quiet down once the disc gets to full revolutions but it's still detectable and quite unpleasent
    B&W 601 S2
    Rega Brio 3
    NAD C525BEE
    Tributaries & Audioquest connections

Quote Originally Posted by calegrant
    Picked up a NAD 521BEE as a demo unit from the local hifi store for $300. I've heard this unit before on a very similiar system and was impressed for the value but when I got home I noticed mine was noticeably louder. It was a scratching sound which was obviously coming from the disc. Is this normal with some NAD components for them to be quite vocal? It seems to quiet down once the disc gets to full revolutions but it's still detectable and quite unpleasent
    Probably defective.... If you can, then I'd suggest returning it....

And yeah NAD has had some quality control issues... just check the reviews section on this site for their products.... I owned the 521Bee and the C352 Integrated... both had problems...

I have never had any issues with all of the NAD equipment I have owned. NAD tends to have alot of issues with their A/V Receivers. But doesent seem to have nearly as many problems with there normal 2 channel gear. There will always be some issues with any manufactures product line.

Keep in mind you bought a demo unit and who knows how it's been treated. Also keep in mind that 300.00 for the C521BEE is high. Considering the new C525BEE is out and has a normal price of 299.00. I would suggest you take it back and get the newer model or try and strike a deal on a new C521BEE that has not been opened. Make sure when you buy your player it is from an authorized dealer.

NAD makes a great player that truly performs beyond its cost. They may not look the greatest but when you take a look on the inside it's a different story. It actually uses a very good DAC and high quality op-amp's that have been used for a long time and is widely used in the industry. The power supply transformer is huge compared to most of the manufactures at this price point. You dont find to many single disc players at 300.00 that weigh 9.0lbs.

Also look at the Marantz CD5001 it's a great player as well. It has a great build quality and performs beyond it's price point.

Forum Regular
    I bought it from the best shop in victoria and they'll take care of me without a doubt. I bought it without demo'ing it myself because I was aware of the performance and I trused their warrenties. Minor mistake I guess, thanks for the input.
    B&W 601 S2
    Rega Brio 3
    NAD C525BEE
    Tributaries & Audioquest connections

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Also look at the Marantz CD5001 it's a great player as well. It has a great build quality and performs beyond it's price point.
    I'll second that comment...

I replaced my NAD 521Bee with the Marantz CD5001 and never looked back... The Marantz cost a bit less, but IMO is a far superior CD player....

NAD stuff is sometimes a gamble, but one thing for sure is this...anytime you buy their product from a good authorized dealer and work with NAD they are by far one of the best companies when it comes to their customer service based on my experience with them. I bought a NAD integrated amp a few years ago and after a few months one day it blew something inside, smoked for a few minutes, and then was unable to turn on. My guess is that the fuse blew despite not being overpowered.

I called up SpearitSound (authorized NAD dealer) and they sent me a new unit, which arrived in 2 days (I called them on a Saturday!!) it arrived Monday!!!! The new unit worked fine and I used the same package to return the defective unit without answering a single question! Shipping was already paid and taken care for. Talk about great business!

Quote Originally Posted by calegrant
    I bought it from the best shop in victoria and they'll take care of me without a doubt. I bought it without demo'ing it myself because I was aware of the performance and I trused their warrenties. Minor mistake I guess, thanks for the input.
    See if they will do an even exchange for the C525BEE since it runs 300.00 retail. I hear they have made some minor but noticeable tweaks. Primarily in the analog output stage.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    All my NAD gear has been great... if you've got issues get it swapped out.

You certainly shouldn't have a "scratching sound" with your NAD CD player.

Thread Information