Suspended

My Router's a POS!!!

Wireless radio is pretty much...................... weeeeeeeak! Whaaaaaaaaa!!

WOW!!! This website's really cookin' tonite!

I switched from Netgear to Linksys and haven't had any problems since

Suspended
    I'm stuck with this router because it has built-in coax which is how the FIOS program guide and VOD are distributed throughout the house. I did drop down my internet service from Verizon to 10Mbps from 15Mbps, but the slow speed is with wireless communication from my laptop AND my PS3 so I'm going back to an ethernet connection for the PS3. Of course that means I'm going to need a switch in order to keep my Internet Radio connection at the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm stuck with this router because it has built-in coax which is how the FIOS program guide and VOD are distributed throughout the house. I did drop down my internet service from Verizon to 10Mbps from 15Mbps, but the slow speed is with wireless communication from my laptop AND my PS3 so I'm going back to an ethernet connection for the PS3. Of course that means I'm going to need a switch in order to keep my Internet Radio connection at the receiver.
    I tried to install a switch at my HT to run ethernet to my PS3, 2700 & A2, but couldn't get it to work. My router has 4 ethernet outputs. I should be able to run one cable from the router to a switch and then connect multiple devices to the switch right?

Right now I'm running a cable directly to the PS3 and using a netgear powerline adapter for the 2700.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I tried to install a switch at my HT to run ethernet to my PS3, 2700 & A2, but couldn't get it to work. My router has 4 ethernet outputs. I should be able to run one cable from the router to a switch and then connect multiple devices to the switch right?

Yes, this ought to work fine with no configuration required. My router is downstairs; it connects via Cat5 to a switching hub upstairs and hence also via Cat5 to both my music computer and my general-purpose computer. (If the switch is truly a switch, then it ought learn where the devices are located and send the signal only where it should to go. E.g. my upstairs compters ought to talk to each other without the signal going downstairs through the router.)

Suspended
    Life was so much simpler when all you had to do was buy a dumb hub.

I've got my eye on this one for $40.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 06-24-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Yes, this ought to work fine with no configuration required. My router is downstairs; it connects via Cat5 to a switching hub upstairs and hence also via Cat5 to both my music computer and my general-purpose computer. (If the switch is truly a switch, then it ought learn where the devices are located and send the signal only where it should to go. E.g. my upstairs compters ought to talk to each other without the signal going downstairs through the router.)
    Sounds simple enough but I couldn't get it to work

I think I'll give it another try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Life was so much simpler when all you had to do was buy a dumb hub.

I've got my eye on this one for $40.
    I think I have that one. I've been through 3 Netgear routers and I'm done with them.

Network

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Sounds simple enough but I couldn't get it to work

I think I'll give it another try though.
    I'm no expert unfortunately. Have your devices ever seen each other? Or is this a new network you're trying to establish?

Windows machines can have a hard time "seeing" each other unless they belong to the same 'Workgroup' which you set under Control Panel > System; I don't know how you set this up with a PS3 or other such devices. When I added a Windows Home Server machine to the network a few months ago, I had a frustrating hour or so before I remember to set the Workgroup name. Bear in mind though that the default that comes with Windows is simply 'workgroup' so unless you've changed it as I did, that won't be the problem.

My general purpose computer had been connected wireless to my router prior to connecting through the switch, while the music compter was already connected via Cat5. All I did was put the switch between the exiting Cat5and the music compter, then also connected the g/p computer to the switch via Cat. Both machines were immediately recognized without and set up or fiddling. I did subsequently disable the wireless connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm no expert unfortunately. Have your devices ever seen each other? Or is this a new network you're trying to establish?

Windows machines can have a hard time "seeing" each other unless they belong to the same 'Workgroup' which you set under Control Panel > System; I don't know how you set this up with a PS3 or other such devices. When I added a Windows Home Server machine to the network a few months ago, I had a frustrating hour or so before I remember to set the Workgroup name. Bear in mind though that the default that comes with Windows is simply 'workgroup' so unless you've changed it as I did, that won't be the problem.

My general purpose computer had been connected wireless to my router prior to connecting through the switch, while the music compter was already connected via Cat5. All I did was put the switch between the exiting Cat5and the music compter, then also connected the g/p computer to the switch via Cat. Both machines were immediately recognized without and set up or fiddling. I did subsequently disable the wireless connection.
    Interesting...I hooked it up, same as last time and it worked just fine. PS3 recognized the network instantly. I can hook up the rest of my devices now and get rid of that power-line adapter. Maybe add a PC later on. Cool...Thanks for the help

Suspended
    Good. And I just realized that I still have my old D-Link router, so I think all I have to do is disable the wireless radio in it and I should be okay.

we have a linksys here...

bloody thing is a total disaster.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Hey Bert! What's up?

I think one can have a bad experience with any networking component, just seems to be the nature of the beast. My old Linksys router one by one lost it's ethernet ports so I went over to D-link and had no problems at all with it.

My concern is what kind of communiction problems I'm going to run into when I try to access it from the FIOS router after I connect the D-Link to the FIOS's ethernet port. I'm going to need to turn the wireless radio off on the D-Link, but I have to address it thru the FIOS router. Not sure what I'm going to get when I type in its IP address.

Thread Information