Forum Regular

Question Multi-channel SACD in 2-channel system?

I have a 2 channel system, and my universal disc player is multi-channel. I know that I'm getting everything from all recordings mixed in 2-channel, but will I miss anything playing a multi-channel mix on my system? I know nothing of MC SACDs or DVD-As, as I currently don't own any of either. But there are several SACDs and DVD-As I'd love to have which are apparently only available in MC. From what I understand, the majority of SACD players don't "mix down" MC recordings to stereo. Do most or all (or any) MC SACDs or DVD-As have a 2-channel layer or mix?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike That Likes Music
    I have a 2 channel system, and my universal disc player is multi-channel. I know that I'm getting everything from all recordings mixed in 2-channel, but will I miss anything playing a multi-channel mix on my system? I know nothing of MC SACDs or DVD-As, as I currently don't own any of either. But there are several SACDs and DVD-As I'd love to have which are apparently only available in MC. From what I understand, the majority of SACD players don't "mix down" MC recordings to stereo. Do most or all (or any) MC SACDs or DVD-As have a 2-channel layer or mix?

Mike
    Not to belabor the obvious, but you're missing the multichannel atmosphere of the recordings. Some people like it and some people don't. I have a little over half a dozen DVD-As and I like it. Each one is mixed differently and some pull off the surround mix better than others. I happen to really like Metallica Black and Best of REM but the Led Zepplin mix leaves much to be desired and probably best played in two channels. At the end of the day, it's going to come down to your personal preference. See if you can get a multichannel audition of a few SACDs and DVD-As you think you'd like and see how it sounds to you.

Forum Regular

Let me rephrase that...

Thanks Paul,
    I'd love to try a full MC system, but money and space don't allow it. Maybe someday!
    Reading over my post I realize I should have clarified. What I meant to ask was... is there any part of the MC signal that I would not hear in my system? For instance, I know on the Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" SACD single, there is an MC mix of the tune with maraccas playing out of one of the surround channels, but not the main L/R speakers. If I were to play that MC recording on my system as it is now, would I not get that surround-channel information? Or would it all be converted to stereo?

Mike

Thanks Paul,
    I'd love to try a full MC system, but money and space don't allow it. Maybe someday!
    Reading over my post I realize I should have clarified. What I meant to ask was... is there any part of the MC signal that I would not hear in my system? For instance, I know on the Rolling Stones "Sympathy For The Devil" SACD single, there is an MC mix of the tune with maraccas playing out of one of the surround channels, but not the main L/R speakers. If I were to play that MC recording on my system as it is now, would I not get that surround-channel information? Or would it all be converted to stereo?

Mike
    Honestly, I have no idea, since I have done extensive back and forth testing on my DVD-As, but common sense should dictate, again I said "should", that the maraccas would be in the two channel sound at some level or presence. It just seems hard to imaging that information like that would be simply removed when mixed down to two channels. Sorry I can't be more help. Makes me want to experiment now with Orange Crush on my REM DVD-A since it has some interesting surround effects going on in it.

Forum Regular
    Just like with DTS or DD for DVD-Video, when you are using the stereo outputs of a MC player the sound will be down-mixed into a stereo format. You shouldn't be losing any material from the recording, but the "steering" involved for the multi-channel format will be lost. If there is a setting on the player for 2-channel or stereo output only, I would select this to ensure you are not missing anything.

Forum Regular

My outputs

Thanks guys!
    I guess the only way to find out will be experimenting. I'm curious as to how it will turn out. The strange thing is that my player has stereo outs, but does not output an SACD signal through them. I need to have a pair of interconnects hooked to the main L/R plugs of the multi-channel output in order to recieve an SACD signal. I'll post again if I find out anything conclusive once I buy a few MC recordings.

Mike

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I use DVD-Audio for stereo

Mike
    DVD-Audio has it's highest quality sound in stereo, as this is the only one that is recorded in the full 192khz/24bit rez. All multitrack recordings are in a lower rez format similar to the quality of DTS surround.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    DVD-Audio has it's highest quality sound in stereo, as this is the only one that is recorded in the full 192khz/24bit rez. All multitrack recordings are in a lower rez format similar to the quality of DTS surround.
    Thanks Geoff,
    I know that a recording mastered in 2-channel will inherently have a higher-quality signal out of the main L/R speakers than an MC recording of the same format, but what I can't seem to figure out is if I will lose any part of the signal of an SACD MC recording if it's played in my 2-channel system. The main L/R jacks of my player's MC outs run all types of signals, but SACD runs only through those. Everything else (according to my manual, anyway) can be output through the standard 2-channel outs. Am I correct in assuming that this means my player will not mix down an MC SACD recording to 2-channel?
    And one other question for you, if you don't mind. Since you seem to have experience with these types of discs, are there two-channel mixes on any of the hi-res MC recordings you have? If it's standard then all my questions are moot, but if it's rare or non-existent then I really wonder if I wouldn't be better off having those titles in regular ol' CD format. I know the general quality would probably be lessened (depending on how well the hi-res version is mastered), but my concern is with getting the whole signal. As I have literally zero experience with hi-res MC recordings, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks bunches,
    Mike

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I was wondering...this figure is much higher than RBCD, but what about the DAC? Basically my question is...how much weight does the DAC have on sound quality? For numbers, DVD-A may be superior...but is the superiority only as good as the DAC being the weakest link?

Rich Tubey Goodness

Mike
    Fear not Mike. All SACD's come with a 2.0 section (as do a good portion of DVD-A's) where SCAD was originally conceived as 2 channel and there are still a couple high end SACD units that are strictly 2 channal affairs.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Not mixdown, seperate track

Thanks Geoff,
    I know that a recording mastered in 2-channel will inherently have a higher-quality signal out of the main L/R speakers than an MC recording of the same format, but what I can't seem to figure out is if I will lose any part of the signal of an SACD MC recording if it's played in my 2-channel system. The main L/R jacks of my player's MC outs run all types of signals, but SACD runs only through those. Everything else (according to my manual, anyway) can be output through the standard 2-channel outs. Am I correct in assuming that this means my player will not mix down an MC SACD recording to 2-channel?
    And one other question for you, if you don't mind. Since you seem to have experience with these types of discs, are there two-channel mixes on any of the hi-res MC recordings you have? If it's standard then all my questions are moot, but if it's rare or non-existent then I really wonder if I wouldn't be better off having those titles in regular ol' CD format. I know the general quality would probably be lessened (depending on how well the hi-res version is mastered), but my concern is with getting the whole signal. As I have literally zero experience with hi-res MC recordings, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks bunches,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

It depends on the recording, but most DVD-A disks that I have either have a seperate layer, or an entire side with a dedicated 2 channel track.

Redbook CD, when recorded correctly is excellent, but SACD, and DVD-A have a much higher quality potential.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information