Forum Regular

Midfi DVD players.

Is there any halfway decent mofking DVD players left in this world that i can buy? I've been researching my ass off and from 150 to 500 dollar range there are NONE!

Most of the g00d models have been discontinued and it seems most if not all of the recent crop of DVD players are pure JUNK. It's true from Denon to HK and any Jap DVD players in between.

What am i doing wrong? I tried Sony for $159.... *puke*.

hmmm

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andrus
    Is there any halfway decent mofking DVD players left in this world that i can buy? I've been researching my ass off and from 150 to 500 dollar range there are NONE!

Most of the g00d models have been discontinued and it seems most if not all of the recent crop of DVD players are pure JUNK. It's true from Denon to HK and any Jap DVD players in between.

hmmm

Maybe if your spend a few thousand, it migh make you feel better about the whole experience?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Maybe you could so kind as to tell me which one to buy.

Forum Regular

hmmm
    Your "problem" is not with the hardware that's available for sale in today's marketplace ... it's with your ATTITUDE! Until and unless you deal with that and do something to improve it, you're doomed to be dis-satisfied with anything and everything you audition, sorry to say. You'll be unhappy with whatever you buy and take home, and will be caught up in the never-ending cycle of "upgraditis" - with nothing ever being quite "good enough". You have my deepest sympathy ... you're more to be pitied than scorned.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Some of the guys at the other "hi buck" audio sites are waxing euphoric over a $40 Toshiba. Maybe they know something you don't?

Forum Regular
    Ah, how hard the Law Of Diminishing Returns hits the audio world. I have to agree with woodman. If you only concentrate on what a product is doing wrong, you're in for nothing but hurt. Believe me, I know of whence I speak. My condolences.
    Mike

Forum Regular
    actually, i found exactly what i'm looking for. And it will be released in april including 802.11b capability + comp upconv. Coming from computer side i don't buy into holier than thou ultra high end stuff, sorry to disappoint you midlifers. *snicker*

Forum Regular
    Maybe you could so kind as to tell me which one to buy.

What was wrong with the ones you looked at? What are you after in a DVD player?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Coming from computer side i don't buy into holier than thou ultra high end stuff, sorry to disappoint you midlifers. *snicker*
    That is a very good start then
    Tell us about this new product that you found that will satisfy
    mtrycrafts

Sounds like it's more of a features issue as opposed to a performance issue.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Sounds like it's more of a features issue as opposed to a performance issue.

That's what it seems to be after all this
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    pioneer dv 563a. i know nothings good to you but i'm extremely happy with mine. SACD, 5.1 preamp, component, progressive scan, looks decent great price @ $150. Just my 2 cents.

Toshiba

Toshiba SD-5960 is a great DVD player at http://www.bestbuy.com

If you're concerned that it's only $199, then buy three of them. Or just give them $1000 and tell them to keep the change.

Forum Regular

please clarify..

what exactly are you looking for? Expensive, exclusivity, an esthetic..what? Your post makes no sense.

Forum Regular
    I'm with the rest. Exactly what have you tried? Exactly what's the problem with those units?

And...what are you looking for?

And...I hate to break it to you...but USUALLY when a unit is discontinued...it's because something else is outselling it or just flat out better. And usually when something is outselling it...that's for a reason...
    Warning: My advice is based on what little experience I have under my belt, building on the last 5 years, and is in no way intended as scientific facts. Please also consider that, like the average human being, I may tend to be a bit bias toward my own personal preferences in audio. Use your own judgement and common sense, and please always listen for yourself. If it sounds good to you, the hell with what others say.

I wouldn't worry about it. Andrus has left the building...

... as post 7 in this thread.

I guess us "holier than thou" types couldn't give him the satisfaction he needed. Then again, he was neither willing or able to communicate what that was.

Sounded like a troll to me. Worked, too...

Thread Information