Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Luxman In The House

Luxman In The House

I got my Luxman DA-06 today. A big thank you to every one's suggestions that led me to this DAC. Right off the bat it sounds great, I can't wait till it breaks in. It is extremely analog sounding. It is smooth, liquid, musical and has just the right amount of warmth. There is no glare, harshness or digital edge. It clearly is not a Sabre based DAC. The midrange has weight, depth and transparency. I am surprised that more people don't own this DAC. It is a perfect match for my system. It even reduces ssssibilantsss.

Right now I am listening the Power Of One by Paul de Benedicts from my CDP via digital coax. The piano is so natural sounding. The notes have fullness and air at the same time. I wish that I did not have to work the next 5 days or I would be planted in my sofa drinking wine and listening my music collection.

More later,

Larry
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I got my Luxman DA-06 today. A big thank you to every one's suggestions that led me to this DAC. Right off the bat it sounds great, I can't wait till it breaks in. It is extremely analog sounding. It is smooth, liquid, musical and has just the right amount of warmth. There is no glare, harshness or digital edge. It clearly is not a Sabre based DAC. The midrange has weight, depth and transparency. I am surprised that more people don't own this DAC. It is a perfect match for my system. It even reduces ssssibilantsss.

Right now I am listening the Power Of One by Paul de Benedicts from my CDP via digital coax. The piano is so natural sounding. The notes have fullness and air at the same time. I wish that I did not have to work the next 5 days or I would be planted in my sofa drinking wine and listening my music collection.

More later,

Larry
    We can almost see the smile on your face. Congrats
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Jack, I can honestly say that I am done with my system. I finally have the sound that I have been after. I was thinking that I was going to have to get new speakers. My only new addition is a Rane ME60 dual 31 band graphic equalizer that I bought for $120 used and a modified Behringer Ultra Curve DEQ2496 that some one is giving to me for free to help remove the midbass hump that my Maggies have in my room.

I was also thinking about upgrading my Vinyl gear but the Luxman sounds so analog and like vinyl that there is no point.

Larry
    Mr Peabody likes this.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    your description makes me wish I could hear one.

Good stuff. Seems like you have made an excellent choice considering the rest of your system and your personal taste. Congrats.

Let us know any further impressions you may have.

congrats Raven! Can you post pics of your entire system?
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Congrats BR for achieving audio bliss.
    I will second Frenchmon's request for pics😃
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Thanks guys, I will post pic's thursday or friday.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Good stuff. Seems like you have made an excellent choice considering the rest of your system and your personal taste. Congrats.
    I think most of us here understand the equipment choice is (1) a matter of taste, and (2) a matter of complementing the other components in one's system.

HERE, for example, are comments by AbeCollins on Audio Asylum pertaining to the Luxman DA-06, Wavelength Brick v3 USB DAC, and the Ayre QB-9 DSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    I think most of us here understand the equipment choice is (1) a matter of taste, and (2) a matter of complementing the other components in one's system.

HERE, for example, are comments by AbeCollins on Audio Asylum pertaining to the Luxman DA-06, Wavelength Brick v3 USB DAC, and the Ayre QB-9 DSD.
    I agree 100%. I also agree with what the guy said about the Luxman. You do sacrifice a little detail for its very liquid sound. For me it works. There is no fatigue, grain or digital edge. It is very analog in its sound. I can play older CD's without being irritated after a while. For the type of music I listen too it works.

If you have a system that leans to the brighter side of neutral or if you like a lot of older recorded music, or if you want a rich, full, musical sound then the Luxman may be just the ticket. It sounds so different from the current crop of Sabre DAC's. It does share some similarities to the Hugo Chord, Marantz NA-11s1 and Bricasti M1 in its musicality, warmth and liquid sound. If you are looking for the last word in detail, resolution and a light airy midrange then look else where.

I use to crave the last word in detail, air and transparency but as my system has evolved I found that there can be too much detail which can sound edgy, unnatural and fatiguing. I may get tired of the Luxman but I will keep my AVA DAC in the system if I crave more detail. The perfect solution would be to get a Bricasti but It cost almost double of what the Luxman sells for.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I agree 100%. I also agree with what the guy said about the Luxman. You do sacrifice a little detail for its very liquid sound. For me it works. There is no fatigue, grain or digital edge. It is very analog in its sound. I can play older CD's without being irritated after a while. For the type of music I listen too it works.

If you have a system that leans to the brighter side of neutral or if you like a lot of older recorded music, or if you want a rich, full, musical sound then the Luxman may be just the ticket. It sounds so different from the current crop of Sabre DAC's. It does share some similarities to the Hugo Chord, Marantz NA-11s1 and Bricasti M1 in its musicality, warmth and liquid sound. If you are looking for the last word in detail, resolution and a light airy midrange then look else where.

I use to crave the last word in detail, air and transparency but as my system has evolved I found that there can be too much detail which can sound edgy, unnatural and fatiguing. I may get tired of the Luxman but I will keep my AVA DAC in the system if I crave more detail. The perfect solution would be to get a Bricasti but It cost almost double of what the Luxman sells for.
    I think we totally agree in principle. In my case I lean more to the detail, air, and transparency, possibly because I listen to a lot of large-scale orchestra and choral works.

On component matching, Pass Lab amp, like yours, is pretty great for transparency but isn't especially warm; my ARC LS9 preamp is also not warm but neutral and detailed; further, my Schiit Bifrost Uber is very airy & transparent (for a mid-range DAC) but isn't warm. I would probably appreciate a DAC with a touch of warmth but without sacrificing much in detail. The Ayre QB-9 DSD sounds about right based on Abe's comments; unfortunately it is beyond my reach financially for the foreseeable.

Suspended
    Abe seemed to speak well about Harley's DAC. That may be one for you to look at Feanor.

Although I don't see it mentioned a lot any more, Benchmark seemed to be the buzz amonst some at Axpona.

Feanor, the Luxman still has air, transparency and detail. Even the pro reviews mention this. But if you are looking for an ultra detailed sound, then look elsewhere. The Luxman shines in musicality, depth of sound stage with an organic, natural sound. It does sugar coat a little but the more detailed DAC's tend to give an artificial sound as well being to crisp or sharp. It has more detail and air then the Hugo and the $4K Cary 200t that I had but less then the Exogal Comet and W4S DAC2 DSDse. It also has a softer attack which I am getting use to.

You should look to the Schiit Yaggdrasil. Check Audigon over the next year as some will show up.

By the way, have you guys seen that Schiit has a budget usb DAC called the Fulla. You've got to love those guys-The Schiit Fulla!
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Abe seemed to speak well about Harley's DAC. That may be one for you to look at Feanor.

Although I don't see it mentioned a lot any more, Benchmark seemed to be the buzz amonst some at Axpona.
    Yes, Abe seems to like the PS NuWave a lot and since he likes a touch of warmth, I might conceivably look at a used one.

The Benchmark DAC2's are reputedly smoother than the older, DAC1's. I'd be fine with the DAC2 L which is the least expensive one with no analog and no headphone amp, so maybe a used one of those.

As for the Schiit Yggdrasil, like blackraven, I'd like to see more reviews. Right now comments seem to suggest it's very revealing, clean, (presumably no grain), but not necessarily warm. I'd like to see a John Atkinson review of this unit or at least his comments on measurements. JA's taste in equipment is very close to mine.

Meanwhile my Schiit Bifrost Uber is really very good.

I remeber being in a conversatioin with AbeCollins a while back, and he didnt really like DSD, thus his PSaudio.

Im glad you finally have a DAC that you like Raven. I know I love my iFI and its sound. Its more of a vinyl sounding DAC. I still have to wonder if your friend had all the right filters set on the iFI, as your conclusions where the first I've ever heard about it. But in the end all is cool.

How is the little computer making out? Have you run the DAC in DSD 128? What driver do you use? Are you runnning native DSD or DoP?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchmon, I finally tried the DAC through its usb connection. I used Dop, WASAPI and ASIO drivers as well as Luxman's own. All sounded the same. I played music at 96K and also did on the fly up conversion to single and double DSD with JR. The up converted music to DSD sounded better than 96K. I don't have any native DSD recordings yet. Incidentally, the Luxman automatically up converts any 44K digital signal through Coax or Optical to 354K.

I noticed that the music upconverted DSD had more detail and resolution and it was more vibrant. There was only one recording where I preferred 96K over DSD and that was a solo piano album and the piano had more weight and better timbre on 96K.

The Luxman is starting to break in. There is more air, a wider sound stage and more separation between instruments.

I don't have the little Vensmile computer yet.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Yeah I really like my NuWave. I have read that it gives about 95% of the more expensive PSAudio units sound at a lot lower price that is why I went with it. At $1000 I thought it was the way to go and I also was able to trade in my DigiLink 3 and get around $300 bucks off of it. I have really enjoyed this DAC and think it gives a really big piece of the analog like sound for the money. I am not a turntable guy for my system but have heard many turntable systems in my life so I know analog but I just like digital for what it offers in way of storage and space. Plus I am a computer tech head anyway so it works well for me. As far as the PSAudio direct stream or any of the new DSD DACS I haven't worked with them nor have heard them. I have read mixed reviews of DSD, some say it is all it is cracked up to be and some say that they liked PCM sound better. I really think that both are capable formats it is the execution of t he formats that matters.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I almost went with the PS Audio DSD but I was unable to hear it up until now. A friend of mine just bought one on a whim. He is going to bring it over to my house. I really don't want to hear it just in case it blows the Luxman away.

I played around with DSD and 96K again last night. And DSD sounds great although some music sounds better at 96K. DSD has more air and transparency, great detail, tighter bass, a blacker background, a wider sound stage and it is more holographic with the Luxman. However, some music, especially piano sounded better at 96K. The music had less air but more weight and body. One feature that I find very useful is that there is a filter for DSD that dials back the high frequencies a bit and it makes older recordings listenable.

It is certainly clear that music sounds better through the USB than digital coax or optical.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Frenchmon, I finally tried the DAC through its usb connection. I used Dop, WASAPI and ASIO drivers as well as Luxman's own. All sounded the same. I played music at 96K and also did on the fly up conversion to single and double DSD with JR. The up converted music to DSD sounded better than 96K. I don't have any native DSD recordings yet. Incidentally, the Luxman automatically up converts any 44K digital signal through Coax or Optical to 354K.

I noticed that the music upconverted DSD had more detail and resolution and it was more vibrant. There was only one recording where I preferred 96K over DSD and that was a solo piano album and the piano had more weight and better timbre on 96K.

The Luxman is starting to break in. There is more air, a wider sound stage and more separation between instruments.

I don't have the little Vensmile computer yet.

the drivers wont sound any different, they all have a different way of getting the signal into the DAC. The main two are WASAPI, which using DoP = Digital over PCM. It tricks the DAC into thinking the signal is PCM so the DAC will open, and once open it takes off the wrapper to let the DAC signal out. ASIO uses no wrapper but delivers the signal native. Dacs that are not DSD DACs cant use ASIO.

DSD especially 128 and beyond will always have more detail and resolution. Its a lower Bit rate but a much higher sampling rate than PCM or redbook CDP's. Thats why you hear detail that you cant hear with CDP's because of the much higher sampling rate. The music is always on the CD, but you cant hear it because the smapling rate isnt high enough like DSD.

Just use JR to rip a CD to 128 and you will have native DSD 128.

If you use HQ Player, it is two notches above Jriver as far as sound goes. If you hear it, you can easly get hooked and say your not going back to Jriver. It is truly a audiophile high end sound. I will didnt buy it after the trial was over. It still has some bugs, no remote unless you go with some sort of Desktop remote, and the gui is ugly. They want $150 bucks for that...much to expensive for what you get. So if you down load a free trial, unless you want to use an ungly software with no remote dont buy it unless they drop price. Shoot, my TT makes me work...not digital

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    the drivers wont sound any different, they all have a different way of getting the signal into the DAC. The main two are WASAPI, which using DoP = Digital over PCM. It tricks the DAC into thinking the signal is PCM so the DAC will open, and once open it takes off the wrapper to let the DSD signal out. ASIO uses no wrapper but delivers the signal native. Dacs that are not DSD DACs cant use ASIO.

DSD especially 128 and beyond will always have more detail and resolution. Its a lower Bit rate but a much higher sampling rate than PCM or redbook CDP's. Thats why you hear detail that you cant hear with CDP's because of the much higher sampling rate. The music is always on the CD, but you cant hear it because the smapling rate isnt high enough like DSD.

Just use JR to rip a CD to 128 and you will have native DSD 128.

If you use HQ Player, it is two notches above Jriver as far as sound goes. If you hear it, you can easly get hooked and say your not going back to Jriver. It is truly a audiophile high end sound. I will didnt buy it after the trial was over. It still has some bugs, no remote unless you go with some sort of Desktop remote, and the gui is ugly. They want $150 bucks for that...much to expensive for what you get. So if you down load a free trial, unless you want to use an ungly software with no remote dont buy it unless they drop price. Shoot, my TT makes me work...not digital
    Delete.

I have just learned that PS Audio has come out with an updated NuWave DAC called the NuWave DSD. It takes some of the technology from the Direct Stream and also changes a few things from it to make it a $1200 dac instead of a much more expensive piece. The oddest thing about the NuWave DSD is that PS Audio decided to change from Burr Brown to Sabre dac chips for this unit. I am not sure if I like this change but I also have not heard it but I love the way my dac sounds with the Burr Brown chip. The only reason I could think of for this is maybe Sabre makes a better DSD capable chip and they went with it for this unit.

Blackraven I would think that the PS Audio Direct stream unit would outperform the Luxman since they are in different price classes I believe. But who knows the Direct Stream may not give the smooth warmth you were looking for in the Luxman. Usually PS Audio is known for being rather musical in their digital products and the Direct Stream seems to epitomize this since it is their flagship and the circuits are different from almost any other dac out there.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Harley, the Luxman cost $6K when it came out. They recently lowered the price to $5K. Luxman does not have a big following in the U.S. right now. They are trying to regain a foot hold again. The PS Audio and Luxman are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. The PS Audio is about detail and the Luxman is about musicality and listen-ability.

By the way, in the last 24 hours the sound of the Luxman has changed for the better. It is becoming more detailed and the sound stage has become huge. It has lost a little bit of its warmth but still retains some warmth. Vocals have also developed more texture.

I also have a better understanding of the 3 PCM filters and how they change the sound. The 2 DSD filters are straight forward.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Oh I did not realize the Luxman was that much. So they are in the same price class. You might be right that they are at different ends of their sound. I have heard the PS Audio Direct Stream is plenty musical. And I've heard that with the latest firmware update took it up another level still.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Harley, in a recent Stereophile review of the PS Audio DSD they stated that the sound was more laid back but with the new Pike's Peak software, it is more musical but leans a little on the bright side of neutral. That is the reason that I decided not to buy one. There is supposed to be another version of software that has just come out to replace the Pikes Peak though.

I bought the Luxman direct from Japan for $2700 plus shipping. I got in in 2 days once it left Tokyo. It took 4 days total due to 2 days processing. I could have bought a brand new PS Audio DSD for $3600 from a U.S. dealer and there were quite a few for sale on Audiogon in the $3400 used.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I will be very interested in knowing how they compare when your friend brings his over. I really think when you get up to that price level all the brands are built well its more of what you like and what the rest of your system likes.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information