Thread: Lame decoding

Forum Regular

Lame decoding

Hello, sorry to disturb you all. I am newbie here. Recently, I call lame.exe from my software to do the encode and decode part by the help of a friend. My software is designed to record and play wave file in audio and visual. It is used in our speech rehabilitation centre to help children with speech problem. I work part time there.

I convert the wave file recorded by my software to MP3 by calling the lame.exe. It happened successfully.

Then, since the software can only play wave (cannot play MP3), I use the lame.exe to convert MP3 to wave file again. But, my software failed to play the wave giving the error of “Unsupported File Format”.

I checked both the wave file before and after conversion. They give the same format: PCM, mono, 16 kHz, 16 bits, 256 kbps. I could not figure out why the software cant play the wave file after conversion. The software can play the wave file recorded by the software itself.

Then, I tried by changing “- -decode” to “- - decode –t” but I get another error of saying that “Invalid File Type”. The, I tried again for “-x” because I thought there may be problem of little endian and big endian. The problem is still the same.

Hope you can give me some ideas or suggestions. I promise to do it as independent as possible, please, please. Please guide me at this very beginning.

Could be that your software is quirky in that it will only play files that it makes. Could be that the LAME software in particular does something to the files that disagrees with your software. When audio files are encoded, the files also contain "tags" of information about the file. Sometimes if the format isn't quite right, the file won't play on certain players. I have several mp3 files that will play on some media players but not others. Just the way it is sometimes.

You could try a different file converter to encode the mp3s and convert back to wave. You could check to see if the files are being named .pcm when the originals are being named .wav or vice versa.

The best solution would probably be to use a jump drive or CD / DVD burner for more storage capacity, avoiding the conversion process altogether. Can get a CD burner with no DVD capabilities dirt cheap these days. A CD-R has 700 MB of storage space and CD-RW can be used over and over again to save money spent on media. A single DVD-R can hold 4.7 GB of data. You can get a pretty nice DVD recorder, complete with software for about $40.00 these days.

Thread Information