Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Keeping my cd player alive.

I have a Sony CDP XA1ES which is about 9 years old. I have always liked the player but the left channel sometimes fails to come on when the unit is turned on but a light tap brings the channel to life. I have checked many things and I am hoping the player will last until March when it will be replaced. Has anyone had experience with this player or have advice on what to do. Until March I plan on smacking it lightly. Thanks for any advice. I know I should be happy for this long amount of enjoyment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Try a new interconnect?

Smacking it lightly?
    On it's bottom?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Smacking it lightly?
    On it's bottom?
    heh, heh, a cross-thread post?

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    heh, heh, a cross-thread post?
    I hate when it's cross-threaded. It won't come back out when that happens.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Try a new interconnect?
    I am afraid it is not the interconnect. I at one time thoght the rca jacks were not tight enough to the chasis and not making ground. That helped for a while but the problem is back.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Smacking it lightly?
    On it's bottom?
    Action reserved for Florian.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

since it's old, I'd just pop off the cover and wiggle stuff. There's a de-gunking spray you can hit it with. It's got to be a connection to the RCA out. I doubt its the transport side of things.

since it's old, I'd just pop off the cover and wiggle stuff. There's a de-gunking spray you can hit it with. It's got to be a connection to the RCA out. I doubt its the transport side of things.
    I'll give it a try. Once I give it a tap it plays correctly for weeks at a time. Of course it is most likely to happen when someone comes over to hear your system and you have explained the tweaks to improve the sound and you have a missing channel.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I'll give it a try. Once I give it a tap it plays correctly for weeks at a time. Of course it is most likely to happen when someone comes over to hear your system and you have explained the tweaks to improve the sound and you have a missing channel.
    Back in the day (the 70's) I used to have a direct drive Technic's TT. Every once in a while it would stop getting power. I would take it apart, check all the connections and find nothing wrong. I'd put it back together and it would work fine for a few months. It always stopped working when I had friends over. That guy Murphy gets arround.

Back in the day (the 70's) I used to have a direct drive Technic's TT. Every once in a while it would stop getting power. I would take it apart, check all the connections and find nothing wrong. I'd put it back together and it would work fine for a few months. It always stopped working when I had friends over. That guy Murphy gets arround.
    Hell back in the 70's! Are we about the same age?
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well I took the cover off today and really sprayed the contact cleaner. I cleaned the rca jacks from inside and outside for the first time. I also saw a spring clip with a wire on it as part of the ground. It was on the side near the transport. I pulled it off the chasis and sprayed both the clip and chasis and put the clip back. Closed everything back up, plugged it in and noticed a deffinate improvement. The highs are much more extended and detailed. I do not know if it was from the bath the rca jacks received or improving the ground contact. I will be anxious to see if I lose the left channel anytime soon. I hope this takes care of it. Thanks
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Hell back in the 70's! Are we about the same age?
    Maybe, how young are you?

Action reserved for Florian.
    Um, does someone have a crush on the big guy?

Maybe, how young are you?
    49 years young. The big 50 this March.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

49 years young. The big 50 this March.
    Close. I turned 45 last August.
    We just keep getting better as you say though.

Um, does someone have a crush on the big guy?

No, I just don't ever see him getting worked up by this type of post. I will keep trying. My BF is younger than I so the last thing I need is another ball of energy to keep up with in my life.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

No, I just don't ever see him getting worked up by this type of post. I will keep trying. My BF is younger than I so the last thing I need is another ball of energy to keep up with in my life.
    If you want to get him worked up, just tell that you heard a pair of B&W's over the weekend that blow every speaker ever made off the map. But, I still don't think he'd get mad at you. You gotta get someone else to post it.
    Have fun chasing that balls of energy around. I know the feeling. My wife is only 30.

If you want to get him worked up, just tell that you heard a pair of B&W's over the weekend that blow every speaker ever made off the map. But, I still don't think he'd get mad at you. You gotta get someone else to post it.
    Have fun chasing that balls of energy around. I know the feeling. My wife is only 30.
    My motto; Your only as young as who you feel. My BF is 32.
    This only applies if both are consenting adults.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 10-26-2005 at 01:53 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

My motto; Your only as young as who you feel. My BF is 32.
    This only applies if both are consenting adults.
    Darn, I've had my eye on this little........year old..

Well no more problems so far with the left channel. I do not know which action fixed the player. I cleaned the rca jacks from both outside and inside the machine. I tightened the screws on the circuit board. I cleaned the clip from the ground wire that was attached to the chasis to make sure it was making good contact. All is well and sounding better than I remember. Thanks for the advice and humor.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Well today the left channel dropped out again. The quick smack brought it back in action. I will now need advice on a single disc cd player. I am considering the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c. I have heard that they have improved that model. Any other suggestions in the $500 range. I am not comfortable buying used. Thanks
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Still smaking it's bottom huh? Who's your CD player?!

The original Azur 640C is great. I have one and love its performance. I think it's HUGE bang for the buck. It comes close to the performance of players in the next price bracket up. If you have any questions about it, fire them off and I'll answer them.

The v2 is obviously even a step up from this (though I haven't heard it), so it makes this player an even better choice. It's getting great reviews in all the British press.

Other obvious choices in your price range are NAD C542 and Rotel RCD-1072. And just to be evil, if you open up your budget to the next level, that opens you up to Arcam CD73T, Jolida JD-100, Rega Planet 2000, and Njoe Tjoeb 4000. These are great players, and where the diminishing returns really start to kick in.

Ain't this a great hobby? Have fun listening!

Thread Information