Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Just got a new A/V computer!

This thing really smokes. It's been 5 years since I've changed my computer, (bought 2 others since then) and I felt it was time for me to get one this time. Here's what I got;

Dell 510e;

24" Dell Ultrasharp Monitor 1920X1200
    Radeon X600 256m HyperMemory Videocard
    SB Audigy Advanced Soundcard
    1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    DataSafe 160GB Hard drive (raid1)
    16x DVD+/-RW
    16x DVD ROM

Right out of the box it's easy to hear that the Audigy Soundcard is better by far than my SB Live-24. Makes me wonder if it makes sense to see what a even better card might sound like. I like it so much I'm going to upgrade my speakers too.

The videocard also has a TV tuner with record capabilty (TV out too). I'm going to pop the 160gb drive out of my old computer and use it as a dedicated TIVO.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sounds like a cool new toy...My wife just got a new laptop...stupid thing smokes my 3 year old P4 setup. Even has a DVD burner.
    Think I'll have to upgrade in a few months. Time to integrate it with my HT system.

I have a few power amps around...anyway to turn a PC into a pre-amp? Optical or RCA cables out from a modern soundcard maybe?

Dat's da i-dear!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Think I'll have to upgrade in a few months. Time to integrate it with my HT system.

I have a few power amps around...anyway to turn a PC into a pre-amp? Optical or RCA cables out from a modern soundcard maybe?
    I think I can finally achieve intergration (to some extent) with my HT using this new computer. Right now I'm just having fun with it though.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

IVB
    Forum Regular
    You have no idea

I have total integration & control over my home theater [which i extended to do whole house automation-HVAC/irrigation, soon lighting/security/drape control] at the whopping cost of $10 each for some RS232 cables to plug into devices I needed anyway]

For HT purposes, I'd strongly recommend looking into how to integrate your receiver into your PC, so you can truly integrate. Nothing better than pushing a menu icon on the screen, having it automatically turn receiver on/set to the right sound processing mode/etc.

For use as a pre/pro - there's a TON of issues currently with that.However, fome folks are having luck with the X-Fi Elite Pro in this area. Here's a link discussing some of that.

Here's some screenshots of some freely distributable skins i'm working on. Note the receiver control integrated into the screens. They're not totally done - i'm still mucking with buttons, fonts/sizes, and colors. I'm torn between an "art-based" approach and a "functional" approach.

Hmmm... toy collaboration or consolidation huh?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I wasn't thinking of going that far yet

Quote Originally Posted by IVB
    You have no idea

I have total integration & control over my home theater [which i extended to do whole house automation-HVAC/irrigation, soon lighting/security/drape control] at the whopping cost of $10 each for some RS232 cables to plug into devices I needed anyway]
    But I am hoping to use the computer as a TIVO, and stream both video, and audio to the HT.

Total intergration scares me a little....ever see the movie "Demon Seed"?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

IVB
    Forum Regular
    But I am hoping to use the computer as a TIVO, and stream both video, and audio to the HT.
    The beautiful thing about the HTPC [home theater pc] approach is that you don't have to go any further than you want to.

For example, you could get SageTV [PVR-software], a tuner card, and start the PVR stuff. For music, get something like JRivers Media Center that can handle a gazillion lossless formats and start playback.

When you're ready for multizone/multisource, it's an easy step up. I didn't do *any* programming at all in my system; literally nothing more than point&click/drag&drop.

I had no idea I had this much software!

All day loading up music, and it's still not done. Forget about swiching out the 160gb drive from my old computer, I'm going to get one that's at least 320gb.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

New speakers in the computer audio setup!

Just came today;

Cambridge SoundWorks
    Newton Series M50
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Cool new Toy Geof.!

Now all ya need is a scsi320 ultra controller and add a level 50 raid for ultimate loading speed, capacity and security
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Cool new Toy Geof.!

Now all ya need is a scsi320 ultra controller and add a level 50 raid for ultimate loading speed, capacity and security
    Thanks, but I'm doing fine with what I got.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Thanks, but I'm doing fine with what I got.
    Well it was not meant seriously anyways. You would have a hard time fitting the 10 drives in there anyway, not to mention the mounting of the drives and the configuration in a locked interface.

Have fun with it

-Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

music fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Cool new Toy Geof.!

and a bigger air conditioner

Forum Regular
    Geoffcin, check out a NAS (network attached storage) Device. I just got an Infrant ReadyNas NV and it's awesome. It allows you to have up to 2 TeraBytes of storage (1.5 with RAID 5, for data integrity/redundancy). It will also work with a slimbox. The thing is about the size of standard dvd case (height and width) and not too much longer.

I work with Dell computers becuase of my job, that is all we pretty much buy. They are good machines with good reliability. Have Fun.
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    PSB Image T65
    PSB Image C60
    PSB Image S50
    Yamaha YST-SW1500
    Mitsubishi WS-55807
    Sony DVP-NC875V SACD
    Logitech Harmony 880
    Iriver Ihp-120 MP3 Player

IVB, I'm sorry, but just horrendous.

Forum Regular
    Why did people start talking about raid arrays...... I thought this was about a guy with his new dell PC, like, not a person looking to set up a complicated raid array. Nor a person who would really notice its benefits (I set up a raid 0 to test how much faster my access time got, which yes it did, but only on access heavy programs, which he probably isn't going to use....) Seems like a lot of people on this forum like to throw knowledge around at every opportunity.

But anyway, if you're looking towards home theatre integration of your PC, send me a message, I deal with the stuff every day :P

Thread Information