Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Is the HDCD out?

I am looking to buy a new CD player, and I am not sure what is going on with the HDCD, could you tell me if the HDCD is out or not?. I just have two HDCD, and looking in the Internet it seems like the HDCD is more for classical music and jazz, and I am not listening too much these styles, I am listening to rock, hip-hop, heavy metal, etc. And I have not found many HDCD in this kind of music.

Thanks mates.

You probably won't find much in the rock vein for HDCD's, just like with SACD's. I certainly wouldn't buy a CD player or make my decision solely on the fact that it can or cannot decode HDCD. In the same breath I would say that if you are upgrading and have the chance to have it ...then I would go with it just because there are some excellence discs out there that really benefit from the encoding.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Hdcd

Dead as a doornail, almost no support. It was a dubious format anyway since PCM had no allowances for encoding anything other than straight PCM.

Don't feel badly SACD and DVD-Audio are slowly going bye bye as well. The major labels produced almost nothing for either format and what they did produce was just old recordings from their catalog. Deutche Grammaphone really tried to pull a fast one, they just took 44.1/16 bit PCM discs and converted them to DSD (no remastering).

If you are into classical or jazz there are lots of recordings out there, mostly from European labels and Telarc for classical and some small domestic labels for Jazz

Well, it might seem 'dead' to some, but for audiophiles and audio enthusiasts it's a format that would probably be around like vinyl....just for those that want to enjoy high quality music.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guaje

I am looking to buy a new CD player, and I am not sure what is going on with the HDCD, could you tell me if the HDCD is out or not?. I just have two HDCD, and looking in the Internet it seems like the HDCD is more for classical music and jazz, and I am not listening too much these styles, I am listening to rock, hip-hop, heavy metal, etc. And I have not found many HDCD in this kind of music.

Thanks mates.

But they are better than RBCD's. More dynamic, lower noise floor, ect.
    My "best of the B52's" CD is HDCD encoded. Not too many other rock titles that I own, but then there's not much dynamic range in most rock.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I'm not sure if their are enough HDCD's available to base a choice of player on it.Rotel makes a CDP (not sure what model) that also plays HDCD's, gets great reviews, and is $700. I have always found Rotel products to be very hard to beat at their price point.I just bought an Arcam 73T which is the exact same price and I like it. It doesn't play HDCD's and that wasn't a factor for me.I listened to the Rotel at the same audio dealer and to my ear it was every bit as good as the Arcam. It was almost a coin toss and only time will tell if I made the right choice. It usually takes me quite a while to decide If I really like a component and that certainly didn't make my decision any easier. Good luck with your future purchase.

Rotel makes a good player

Quote Originally Posted by BillyB
    I'm not sure if their are enough HDCD's available to base a choice of player on it.Rotel makes a CDP (not sure what model) that also plays HDCD's, gets great reviews, and is $700. I have always found Rotel products to be very hard to beat at their price point.I just bought an Arcam 73T which is the exact same price and I like it. It doesn't play HDCD's and that wasn't a factor for me.I listened to the Rotel at the same audio dealer and to my ear it was every bit as good as the Arcam. It was almost a coin toss and only time will tell if I made the right choice. It usually takes me quite a while to decide If I really like a component and that certainly didn't make my decision any easier. Good luck with your future purchase.
    Also Musical Fidelity. Even if you have a decent CD player, their X-DAC v3 is a recommended upgrade.

Still, Arcam stands an inch or so higher than most CD players you can get for the same money. The 73t is a good example.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Also Musical Fidelity. Even if you have a decent CD player, their X-DAC v3 is a recommended upgrade.

Still, Arcam stands an inch or so higher than most CD players you can get for the same money. The 73t is a good example.
    I'm curiuos about why the X-DACv3 is recommended.I have a decent CD player,the CA azur 640c to be precise and am using the internal DAC.

Music Direct typically runs great specials on the X-DACc3

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Music Direct typically runs great specials on the X-DACc3
    It's funny,I was just there reading about it,Thanks

It's one of the best DAC's at any price

Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    I'm curiuos about why the X-DACv3 is recommended.I have a decent CD player,the CA azur 640c to be precise and am using the internal DAC.
    And measured that way when benched. How much it will add to your CA player is anyones guess, but I'm sure you'll hear a difference. The only other DAC I would consider (and am) is the Benchmark DAC1. A killer product, and probably my next upgrade.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    Well, it might seem 'dead' to some, but for audiophiles and audio enthusiasts it's a format that would probably be around like vinyl....just for those that want to enjoy high quality music.
    This might be wishful thinking at best. From my vantage point, it is dead and was never really used on a widespread basis. Everything begins in the mix, not in the re-encoder.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    And measured that way when benched. How much it will add to your CA player is anyones guess, but I'm sure you'll hear a difference. The only other DAC I would consider (and am) is the Benchmark DAC1. A killer product, and probably my next upgrade.
    The Benchmark DAC 1 is out because I have a headphone amp.The MF XDAC v3 is $999 at Musicdierect.Even if I noticed a difference with it would it jusify the expenditure.In other words is a $999 Dac that much better than the CA azur 640c's DAC.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    This might be wishful thinking at best. From my vantage point, it is dead and was never really used on a widespread basis. Everything begins in the mix, not in the re-encoder.
    I agree it's not very wide spread, (especially since Microsoft bought HDCD, imo). But I still occasionally find new material coming out in HDCD. I don't know what you mean by re-encoded, I think the stuff I've found (only a handful of disks really) was intended to be put in HDCD from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    I agree it's not very wide spread, (especially since Microsoft bought HDCD, imo). But I still occasionally find new material coming out in HDCD. I don't know what you mean by re-encoded, I think the stuff I've found (only a handful of disks really) was intended to be put in HDCD from the start.
    If a signal originates in digital 16/44.1khz, it is re-encoded by the HDCD process. I have never heard of HDCD being used during production, it is usually a post production tool.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I follow now. I can't imagine that there are HDCD's out there that were 'upconverted' from 16/44.1 sources. I assume they are all from higher res masters, maybe I'm wrong. I don't own any HDCD's that were re-releases.

I follow now. I can't imagine that there are HDCD's out there that were 'upconverted' from 16/44.1 sources. I assume they are all from higher res masters, maybe I'm wrong. I don't own any HDCD's that were re-releases.
    Actually HDCD is of no benefit to 20 or 24bit bit depths. It takes 16bit signals and re-encodes them to approximate 20bit depth. This practice would be redundant on signals that are originally recorded in 20bits, and a degredation of 24bit signals.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Hmmm. Thanks for the correction. I always assumed that HDCD essentially took 20bit information and found a way to embed it in a 16bit format (a way that also left the 16bit readable). Obviously I don't understand the encode/decode part. To further demonstrate my ignorance... if your are merely taking 16bit source and readjusting it to 20bit...isn't this kind of analogous to adjusting the gain?

Hmmm. Thanks for the correction. I always assumed that HDCD essentially took 20bit information and found a way to embed it in a 16bit format (a way that also left the 16bit readable). Obviously I don't understand the encode/decode part. To further demonstrate my ignorance... if your are merely taking 16bit source and readjusting it to 20bit...isn't this kind of analogous to adjusting the gain?
    What it does is encoded 16bit signals with an additional 4bits of word length which lowers the noise floor, and slightly increases dynamic range. So it not really just a gain adjustment, its a little more than that. Just increasing the gain would also raise the noise floor.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

What is HDCD?

The HDCD (High Definition Compatible Digital®) technology makes it possible to get closer to the original sound. This is facilitated through a sophisticated system, where a 20 - 24 bit sound signal is encoded onto an ordinary CD’s 16 bits through dithering. Open picture.
    When played on a CD player, DVD player or amplifier with an HDCD decoder the sound signal is then decoded again to 20 -24 bits.

The engraver has an extra 6 dB available (7 dB extra at low level), which gives noticeably reduced distortion levels and an extra enhanced resolution. All parameters of the sound image are enhanced, resulting in an all-improved sound! A dynamic range of up to 115 dB can be obtained.

An HDCD equipped device gives even ordinary CDs a high sound quality. The already high resolution sound of DVD audio improves with the HDCD technology. The HDCD circuit is PDM100 (44.1 / 88.2 kHz) and PDM200 (48 / 96 176.4 / 192 kHz) which even can be used with DTS.

The creators of the HDCD technology are Keith O. Johnson and Pflash Pflaumer. Together they developed the idea of HDCD between 1986 and 1991. In 1996 they started Pacific Microsonics (PMI), an audio technology company based in California. In September 2000, (PMI) was acquired by Microsoft.

Copied from http://www.hitbutiken.com/hdcd/?p=hdcd
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

HDCD database

Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

I fall into the "everyrhing starts with the mix" camp...

...and everything that's been said notwithstanding, HDCD encryption does not necessarily equate to a better sounding cd. Take "Sailing To Philadelphia" for example. It is a disc that has largely had the life sucked out of it, and in terms of external noise and imaging pales in comparison to some of Knopfler's non-HDCD releases. Another example of GIGO.
    At the end of the day, though, I gotta get me some enhanced "Straight Outta Compton"...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Hmmm, I actually thought Sailing was a very well recorded disk. Very delicate. But I don't have a deep Knopfler repetoir to compare to.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

It could be a matter of degrees...

...IMO Knopfler's stuff raises the bar compared to most rock/pop rbcds. Give a listen to One Take Radio Sessions or Ragpicker's Dream and you may see what I mean. To my ear Sailing sounds a bit flat comparatively, at least the 2-channel cd (haven't listened to the 5.1 yet and perhaps it was the focus of attention). Also sounds a bit bass-heavy, although I have wondered whether the change from Fender/Suhr guitars to Gibson may have contributed to this as well as activities on the board...

Cheers
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Ok....let's get the facts straight.

Fact #1 NOT ALL CD's ARE CREATED EQUAL
    Fact # 2 NOT ALL RECORDINGS ARE EQUAL

Take fact #1 and fact #2 into consideration and we can make a few presumptions. For example...reference points are always going to be skewed. If we took two CD's and compared them side by side there is no reference point as to which one sounds more or less like the original mix. We also are not able to tell if it's necessarily a poor mix or just a poor CD. When someone says ...wow that CD sounds great...what are they comparing that to? Does it sound great in contrast with other CD's or does it sound great in comparison with other recordings?

Ok, so why then can I listen to a CD for a few minutes and know whether it's of good quality? Well, it's all personal preference. Back to HDCD for a minute...

Whether or not the HDCD sounds better than normal CD or not...one thing is for certain...if it sounds good and you like it...what does it matter? Who cares? If you personally think it's a great mix or a great recording etc ....then why does the point of reference even need to exist?

We can go round and round through these forums on this argument and we already have proven that we can go the distance with this debate....it's probably never going to end, but regardless of such....let's all at least agree on certain things. For instance, since we are all coming from various backgrounds, we all have preset notions, we all have preset interpretations, styles, preference, and since we are all of different ages with different hearing capabilities.....there is no real way to fully tell if one person is right or wrong. I suppose it would be great if some flawless machine was able to calculate these findings and truly give us some answer, but we would all debate the machine as well ...so that's a pointless avenue. In the end it would be best to not mix personal taste with absolute truth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information