Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Free FLAC Player

Hey All -

What software for Windows plays FLAC and is free - no spammy spam or nasties - that you use/like?

Thanks,
    -adam

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Winamp and Creative Mediasource Player

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    Hey All -

What software for Windows plays FLAC and is free - no spammy spam or nasties - that you use/like?

Thanks,
    -adam
    Winamp is here. Cooler visual presentation and takes a little longer to open files then Mediasource Player but sounds the same.

http://www.winamp.com/

Mediasource Player

http://support.creative.com/download...wnloadId=11130

Just in case the link at Creative Labs doesn't work just go the support section at soundblaster.com and pretend you have any of the cards. Mediasource should work with any sound card.
    I prefer my sex like my basketball, one on one, and with as little dribbling as possible.

yeah for some reason i didn't think that FLAC was supported by winamp. but i'll give it a go.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam View Post
    Hey All -

Thanks,
    -adam
    Foobar2000 rules. Check it out HERE.

Re. Winamp, think it does support FLAC with the appropriate plug-in.

Romanticist Philosopher

Smile Winamp supports FLAC natively

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Foobar2000 rules. Check it out HERE.

Re. Winamp, think it does support FLAC with the appropriate plug-in.
    Just download the latest version.
    I prefer my sex like my basketball, one on one, and with as little dribbling as possible.

winamp supports FLAC standard. Been using it for ages, and still think it's the best & most useful free player.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite View Post
    winamp supports FLAC standard. Been using it for ages, and still think it's the best & most useful free player.

I couldn't agree more. With a few Windows tweaks (bypassing the audio stack etc.) it sounds as good as any I have used including foobar. I find the UI for Winamp much better than any I have found but that's just personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues View Post

I couldn't agree more. With a few Windows tweaks (bypassing the audio stack etc.) it sounds as good as any I have used including foobar. I find the UI for Winamp much better than any I have found but that's just personal preference.
    Fair enough. But personally I much prefer the Foobar UI's flexibilty -- but not everybody needs so much. (I've never found a Winamp skin that I've really liked.)

I would say the Foobar sounds as good as anything but I don't insist that it sounds better.

another nod to Foobar.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

How do you foobar users set up your interface? Be fun to see some screen shots ... my current setup is below. Just a simple album list, play list, and cover image....

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    How do you foobar users set up your interface? Be fun to see some screen shots ...
    Looks good, Davey. My setup isn't so different.

I use Columns UI ...
    • Upper left = Album LIst Panel
    • Upper right = Artwork Viewer
    • Lower left = Playlist Tabs + NG Playlist
    • Lower right = Item Properties

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hey Adam, if you just want to play the odd file or album, go with VLC, small and friendly. If you want something to organize, etc. I use Media Monkey. It rips, burns and plays FLAC natively. It also has full Ipod/Iphone plugins so there's no need for Itunes.

I like the cover chooser personally...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free FLAC Player-untitled.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby View Post
    I use Media Monkey. It rips, burns and plays FLAC natively. It also has full Ipod/Iphone plugins so there's no need for Itunes.
    I do like Media Monkey for file management and tagging and other library functions, but it doesn't support gapless playback or WASAPI, which is why I like foobar for the player. I kind of like foobar better for file conversion these days too, especially high res, but MM is pretty handy for grabbing some files from your library and burning a CD. To be honest, I don't even know how to burn a CD in foobar

I do like Media Monkey for file management and tagging and other library functions, but it doesn't support gapless playback or WASAPI, which is why I like foobar for the player. I kind of like foobar better for file conversion these days too, especially high res, but MM is pretty handy for grabbing some files from your library and burning a CD. To be honest, I don't even know how to burn a CD in foobar
    Is Media Monkey free? My recollection is poor in general but my I impressions that there are free and pay versions. If so what are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Is Media Monkey free? My recollection is poor in general but my I impressions that there are free and pay versions. If so what are the differences?
    I think the gold version unlocks some of the automatic library maintenance functions and a few other features. Mainly better file monitoring, which is poor in the free version. Still a very nice package for free, but I think it will always be hampered by the shortcomings of Winamp since that is what the player is based on.

I think the gold version unlocks some of the automatic library maintenance functions and a few other features. Mainly better file monitoring, which is poor in the free version. Still a very nice package for free, but I think it will always be hampered by the shortcomings of Winamp since that is what the player is based on.
    I checked out the features and I must say it does a lot; I think I'd go for the Gold because the multiple collections feature. However I don't see anything that I need that Foobar2000 doesn't deliver (for free).

I don't use Foobar for ripping, and I almost never burn CDs. I do often use its tag update features, though it isn't my primary tool for that either, (I use Tag&Rename that has a slick interface or (free) M3Tag). I have used it's conversion features, but there again for conversion I prefer dBpoweramp.

What I like best is Foobar's Album List Panel that lets me define any number sort sequences with info displays. This might be more important to classical listeners than other people, though.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Yes there are enhanced mgmt features with the Gold version. Also it allows full use of some features which have been handicapped in the free version. File conversion for example which can be a big one for some people. Anyhow, I haven't found a reason to leave yet.

I do like Media Monkey for file management and tagging and other library functions, but it doesn't support gapless playback or WASAPI
    Just FWIW, version 4 does both. By default it's set to crossfade, and even when you click off crossfade it skips end-of-track silence, but now that can be defeated as well for true gapless playback. I didn't hear any difference from WASAPI and direct sound to my digital output.

As far as tagging, with new rips the latest release of EAC does a pretty decent job but if I need to edit any tags I use mp3Tag. As you would expect with a single purpose program it is much more intuitive than any media player's tagging tools.
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    Just FWIW, version 4 does both. By default it's set to crossfade, and even when you click off crossfade it skips end-of-track silence, but now that can be defeated as well for true gapless playback. I didn't hear any difference from WASAPI and direct sound to my digital output.
    Thanks for the update, didn't know about the new MM v4. I'm pretty set up with foobar at this stage, but may give it a try.

My source is a notebook and it has a lot of audio processing for direct sound, so ASIO or WASAPI is mandatory to get bit perfect out, and in my case, Win7 with WASAPI seems to sound the best.

I use file path and names that have enough to tag from, so I don't really need any special tagging software, though the album/song titles then sometimes need adjusting for special characters, so maybe I do....but that's pretty simple with any interface...

I played around some with foobar2000 but don't really like it much. My only real use for it is HDCD decoding. If I want to do something simple like display all artists alphabetically but skip the word "The" or "A" I have to write a script for it (something all other media players do by default). Anyway, here's how I configured mine:

Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I have mine configured just like yours Slosh and I seem to like the way it works. All my friends use itunes and to me I like Foobar better it have more setting available and sounds better with the Wasapi upgrade download.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
    I played around some with foobar2000 but don't really like it much. My only real use for it is HDCD decoding. If I want to do something simple like display all artists alphabetically but skip the word "The" or "A" I have to write a script for it (something all other media players do by default).
    Yea, I know, but I just want it to reflect my basic album directory structure, so the foobar interface is pretty ideal for me as you can see from my screen shot.

Those McCartney .24-96 archive releases sound pretty damn fine, huh? I have the first one with the cherries, and Band on the Run. Now that the music industry has f*cked up most of our favorite old music with their modern remastering techniques, they are poised to sell it back to us again without all the awful compression and distortion, and with a big premium, but at least in this case, it's in a high quality (and open source) format.

Baby's on fire
    Better throw her in the water
    Look at her laughing
    Like a heifer to the slaughter

Forum Regular

Question Streaming Audio Players

I tried to start a thread, but I haven't posted for a while so the system wouldn't let me, but here are my questions for the group.
    I prefer my vinyl and Linn LP12, but I still have quite a collection
    of CD's playing through a late 1990's Cambrige CD player. Not a bad machind back then for about $400.
    I have been reading lately about all the streaming audio.
    AS I understand it, you can take your CD's copy them to your PC's Hard disk and save them as Flac's, or whatevet format, or
    find flac's on the net. These should be as good as the original CD
    correct?The problem I see with CD players is transport problems
    and A-D converter.
    So these streaming players then connect on your home network, see the flac files on your pc, and convert them back to audio output into your preamp/amp. I also see there are dedicated external hard disks that can be connected on the network, thus no interference from the PC.
    You are eliminating the transport problems of the CD player, and some streaming units have a very good quality A-D converters.
    The Linn unit apparently can be controlled by a IPOD Touch/phone, thus not having to use your pc or tv monitor, and it also searches the internet for missing bits from your files and corrects the flac files.
    My questions is: What is the quality of sound fom any of these streaming players. Is this the way to go or look for a better quality CD player.
    It seems CD's are slowly fading away and digital audio is the way
    to go.
    Dan

I've been using a couple of Roku SoundBridges for 5+ years now. Quality is exactly the same as CD with a lossless rip. The SoundBridge is long since out of production, and I may replace mine soon because they are limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz or 16-bit/48kHz and now I have plenty of 24-bit/88.2, 96, and 192kHz rips on my computer (I have to make 16/48 copies for my SoundBridges, and while they still sound great, I want full resolution). The Squeezebox Touch will play 24/96 stereo, but I'm holding out for something that can stream 24/96 5.1 channel and beyond. An interesting product is the Dune Max HD player, but it is more geared towards video and apparently doesn't play FLAC gaplessly (at the moment, anyway) unless you rip as a single file w/cue sheet.

A friend of mine thinks I should just get a new laptop with HDMI and call it a day. He uses MediaMonkey4 with WASAPI enabled (as I do) and connects it to his pre/pro and it plays nearly everything (no SACD...yet) with bit-perfect output (FLAC, BluRay with Dolby or DTS lossless, DVD-Audio, etc).

Forum Regular

Smile Streaming Audio

THanks for the info. I'll look up those players, but not much point if it's out of production.
    I'm new to all this digital stuff, like I mentioned I have vinyl and vacuum tube preamp and power amps.
    But the whole digital idea is interesting.
    How would you come out of a laptop to HDMI into a preamp with L+R inputs? The only thing I know of is my 50" plasma, it had hdmi in and audio out.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information