Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    ajani, you're in ja? I'm looking for a DAC & need some advice. send me an email at jentechs@cwjamaica.com
    nhb007

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by nhb007
    ajani, you're in ja? I'm looking for a DAC & need some advice. send me an email at jentechs@cwjamaica.com
    nhb007
    Another audiophile in JA, Cool... I'll send u an e-mail...

Forum Regular
    How's the Ja bobsled team these day? Loved that movie.

Ajani
    So just to leave my final thoughts on the XDA-1 in the this thread:

In the time since I last posted, the sound quality has improved in the sense that the brightness is gone (thankfully!)... The sound is still clearly (to me) behind the DAC1, but more than respectable for a sub $500 DAC...

I have opted not to try and get the volume fixed due to the following: 1) It will probably cost me some change 2) I don't notice an improvement when using the XDA's volume control versus the Squeezebox's VC.... So I now use the XDA volume set permanently at 10.0 (essentially as an attenuator) and control the volume changes with the Squeezebox (range between 60 - 100 where there should be no/minimal bit loss due to the digital volume control))...

So while I don't think the XDA-1 is nearly as special as my XPA-2 amp, it's doing a decent job in my living room setup... I still don't recommend it (based on the bad experience out the gate with the volume control), but that is a decision a potential purchaser must make up his/her own mind on (especially considering the VC issue is resolved on newer units)...

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    How's the Ja bobsled team these day? Loved that movie.
    No idea about the team... I can't say I've actually followed their career at all...

However I do enjoy the Brooklyn style pizza they make at Bobsled Cafe in Montego Bay...

A long row to hoe

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    So just to leave my final thoughts on the XDA-1 in the this thread:

In the time since I last posted, the sound quality has improved in the sense that the brightness is gone (thankfully!)... The sound is still clearly (to me) behind the DAC1, but more than respectable for a sub $500 DAC...
    You've had too much aggrevation with this thing, Ajani. Still given that Emotiva has finally beaten the problems, it sounds quite worthy of consideration.

Of interest, maybe, for the DIY inclined, for my next project, I'm considering a Twisted Pear DAC, either the ESS Sable32-based Buffalo II plus IVY III driver stage, (here), or for cheaper, the Wolfson WM8741-based Opus plus S/PDIF receiver, (here).

Suspended
    It's a shame you couldn't get your unit switched out. Just a note of interest back when I bought my ERC-1 I emailed Emo about something and mentioned "burn in" their tech said they don't believe in burn in. I definitely felt the unit sounded better after several hours of play. The highs weren't as brash. I don't think it was just getting used to it because it wasn't my main player and I always had my main unit as reference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information