Forum Regular

Good CD Player on a budget?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a good cd player to buy on a budget? I currently have a Yamaha CDC-685 and it is an excellent player except for when I want to play my system loud then it starts to skip alot. I'm looking for something under $300 with good sound quality and extremely good anti-skip on it. Another possibility could be to do something with this player to get it to stop skipping. I already have it sitting on top of a pillow and that helps some but not nearly enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just find it rather annoying when my cd player decides to jump ahead 1/2 a track :-)

Thanks a bunch!
    Dustin

Forum Regular
    Maybe the old Rotel RCD1070 HDCD or the new NAD HDCD (540?)unit or a Denon DVD-2910 which can also play DVD-A and SACD. They're all good low cost units.

meteo man
    Maybe my system is modest (Adcom GFA-535 amp, Adcom GTP-400 preamp/tuner, and Paradigm 9 v2 Performance speakers), but I just recently did a careful comparison between playing CD's in a cheap Sony DVD player ($80) and a Rotel RCD-1070 CD player, and I found the sonic differences to be subtle at best. The bass and treble n music played in the Rotel unit seemed a little better, but soundstage was not any difference at least to my ears. I decided to buy this Rotel unit because it was a dealer demo and I got very good price for it and there were slight differences. I am convinced that there isn't much a of a sonic difference between even a cheap DVD player and a good solid CD player.

Try some spikes or or some other vibration control under your player. Something designed to isolate vibration. Vibrapods come to mind. You stated it only does this when the volume gets loud. Then its the vibrations from the speakers casusing the problem. If you state you are not hearing a difference between players I would seriously look into vibration control devices. Save your money if your not hearing the differences. Buy more music.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Try some spikes or or some other vibration control under your player. Something designed to isolate vibration. Vibrapods come to mind. You stated it only does this when the volume gets loud. Then its the vibrations from the speakers casusing the problem. If you state you are not hearing a difference between players I would seriously look into vibration control devices. Save your money if your not hearing the differences. Buy more music.

Hope this helps.
    Hmm... would Vibrapods help if the speakers vibrate the whole chasis of the CD player? I seriously never used anything like that before so I don't know anything about them. I guess the biggest problem is my quest for extremely loud music. By the time my Cd player starts skipping it already feels like someone is grabing my shoulders and shaking my brains out. I have a very large system, a little over 5500 watts with 266 inches worth of combined woofer diameter. I am still looking to expand my system too, so stopping the skipping is a must. Thanks to everyone who responded so far :-)

~Dk

Thread Information