AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Multiple 5.1 channel sources to one receiver

Help! I know there's a switcher that allows 3 5.1 channel sources to be connected to one receiver. It's about $400 and for the life of me I can't find it online again. Can anyone help me out?

Also, is this a good idea? Does the signal being routed through this switcher degrade the signal noticeably? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Forum Regular

:s

400 bux!?!? Why don't you just buy a new reciever with multiple inputs for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by joel2762
    400 bux!?!? Why don't you just buy a new reciever with multiple inputs for that price.
    Sorry, I'm just laughing at this point...there are no receivers that I can find at any price that have more than one set of 5.1 channel outputs. This is for SACD/DVD-A/DVD players not the analog outs (red/white) for Cd players etc.

JSE
    Can't answer your questions but my head starts to hurt just thinking of all those cables you would need. Ouch!

JSE

Forum Regular

Hmm...

Now that I think of it I don't understand your question. You mean you want a switcher to switch 3 Coaxial sources???

JSE
    Joel,

He's talking about the 5.1 audio inputs for DVD-A and SACD on the back of receivers. These are different than the normal coaxial, optical and analog inputs. You hook up on RCA connector for each channel. My DVD-A runs a seperate line for front left speaker, front right, center, right surround, left surround and sub. That's 6 different lines coming out of the DVD-A player into the receiver for 5.1 sound. For 6.1 you add one more. For 7.1 you add 2 more lines. Plus you also have to hook up a S-Video line or composite lines for video and a optical or analog or coaxial for playing regular CDs and DVDs . The newer receivers have these 5.1 analog inputs, but only one set. He's asking if any receivers have more than 1 set or if there is switcher box you could run several sources into and then select which one you want to send to the receiver via a simple switch. Needless to say, it will take a ton of cables. The may have confused you more? It's kindof hard to explain in words without looking at the back of a DVD-A/SACD player and receiver.

Maybe someone else can explain it better.

JSE

Utmostjamin1

why not buy a universal player?

instead of spending $400 dollars for a nonexsistant switching unit why not buy a decent universal player that plays both formats? IMHO would be the best compromise.

Thanks but...

Quote Originally Posted by jamison
    instead of spending $400 dollars for a nonexsistant switching unit why not buy a decent universal player that plays both formats? IMHO would be the best compromise.
    First, the switching unit is not non-existent. I knew I had seen it online and found it one day after my original post. Go to www.zektor.com and look for the MAS 3.

The reason for my needing that switcher is that I have a high end universal player and a high end SACD player, both of which I would like to use to their fullest extent.

Thread Information