Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DAC Reviews

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hi Jack! Oh...if you've read all the posting I've stated a few times about synergy. But I cant see the iFi being flat. As far as teh owner of the DAC is concerned....I noticed he didnt have the PSU. So the DAC could have been low on the charge with the batteries.
    You talk about synergy, but then say "I can't see the iFi being flat". That's the whole meaning behind synergy, getting something to sound good in your setup. Obviously the iFi didn't sound good in Raven's shootout setup, even to the guy that owned it. But it must have sounded good to him in his own setup, or he wouldn't have owned it. I've gone to audio shows as have many a reviewer for the audio magazines and gone into a room and the sound is off and you wonder what was the guy that set it up hearing. Then you also get two guys from the same magazine go into the same room and have completely opposite opinions of the sound. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that Raven's test group didn't like the sound of the iFi, just as two different reviewers will hear different things in the same room. Now if you had been to Raven's shootout and you felt that the iFi was the clear winner and the others felt it was outclassed, then that opens up a whole different can of worms.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Jack...I don't think you've read a thing I've said.

Here's another perspective. I have a MMF 7.1 TT with the 2m Black Cart. That rig is. No slouch. Not a great a TT as Peabodys Clearaudio rig but still very dynamic. I use The latest phono amp from Creek Audio. It's a very good phono Stage...but I have known for sometime it was the weakest link in my system . Peabody decided to bring his Phono Stage over and we listened to his Stage ...it was very good as I suspected it would be. Both stages where dynamic but Peobodys Stage was more refined...cleaner notes. Better spacing as so forth. We both enjoyed what we heard that day. The IFI is just as powerful as my TT rig. Most audiophiles who run DSD always use a good TT rig to test their DSD seeing a great DSD rig won't sound like digital as most PMC DACs do but they will sound as if you're playing a very good vinyl rig.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Jack...I don't think you've read a thing I've said.

Here's another perspective. I have a MMF 7.1 TT with the 2m Black Cart. That rig is. No slouch. Not a great a TT as Peabodys Clearaudio rig but still very dynamic. I use The latest phono amp from Creek Audio. It's a very good phono Stage...but I have known for sometime it was the weakest link in my system . Peabody decided to bring his Phono Stage over and we listened to his Stage ...it was very good as I suspected it would be. Both stages where dynamic but Peobodys Stage was more refined...cleaner notes. Better spacing as so forth. We both enjoyed what we heard that day. The IFI is just as powerful as my TT rig. Most audiophiles who run DSD always use a good TT rig to test their DSD seeing a great DSD rig won't sound like digital as most PMC DACs do but they will sound as if you're playing a very good vinyl rig.
    I've definitely read everything you've said or I wouldn't have brought up synergy. I can't compare my turntable rig to my DSD as I don't do DSD. I compare my Bryston DAC to other DACs that I've had in my system as to me that is ultimately what I'm going to be listening to. If I sat in on Ravens shootout and I found the Hugo or the Wyred to sound better than my Bryston, that's life. I certainly wouldn't say that he didn't have it hooked up right, as these are people with many years of experience in the audio field. Sometimes you have to lick your wounds and move on.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Lick my wounds? Jack, what on earth are you talking about? I see you are an instigator. I'd much rather listen to music. Move on, will you?

If not for DSD , Jack..I wouldn't have ever purchased a DAC. As you know I'm a vinyl nut...and Hi REZ PCM still sounds like digital to me. But all it took was a listen to DSD at a friends house with Peabody....it was the Lampizator DAC as well as the PSAudio Direct Stream DAC...both doing DSD in a shootout. you would have swore it was vinyl.

I'm having such a great time over here with the IFI doing only DSD128, I've thrown my very nice CDP out and do only DSD and Vinyl. (I'm in the market for a new phono stage now). But the thing about running DSD 2/4/7 is you've to get big drives and have a very good processor as DSD gives a lot of info. Right now "Yello" is jamming..wish you where here to take a listen.

Ravin...just looked up the Comet DAC. Seems like a great option for $2500.... And it's nice to see its DSD128....you going to purchase it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Frenchmon, I am leaning to the Marantz NA-11s1 as it sounds like it has the warmer sound that I covet. It also has all the connectivity that I am looking for. It will take usb sticks which is a nice feature. I am considering waiting till after Axpona. I like the reviews on the Cary 100t tube DAC but it does not do DSD, the 200t does but it is out of my price range. I would love to hear a Lampi as well. I have ruled out the Vega as a few guys that own one say that it can be on the bright side of neutral.

What ever I buy will be used and $2500 is my limit. The Comet is an awesome DAC but it is not a great match for my Magnepans in my highly reflective room. I tried the Comet with my Monitor Audio S1's and PSB B6's and it was a perfect match for both of those speakers and it had a dead neutral sound as opposed to the Maggies which sounded bright on some recordings. You have got to hear the Comet to appreciate the 3D sound and sound stage. The sound stage is not only wide but it is tall and deep.

Too bad you won't be at Axpona. It would be nice to meet people from the forum. I am going to try and meet with Mr. P.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Lick my wounds? Jack, what on earth are you talking about? I see you are an instigator. I'd much rather listen to music. Move on, will you?

If not for DSD , Jack..I wouldn't have ever purchased a DAC. As you know I'm a vinyl nut...and Hi REZ PCM still sounds like digital to me. But all it took was a listen to DSD at a friends house with Peabody....it was the Lampizator DAC as well as the PSAudio Direct Stream DAC...both doing DSD in a shootout. you would have swore it was vinyl.

I'm having such a great time over here with the IFI doing only DSD128, I've thrown my very nice CDP out and do only DSD and Vinyl. (I'm in the market for a new phono stage now). But the thing about running DSD 2/4/7 is you've to get big drives and have a very good processor as DSD gives a lot of info. Right now "Yello" is jamming..wish you where here to take a listen.

Ravin...just looked up the Comet DAC. Seems like a great option for $2500.... And it's nice to see its DSD128....you going to purchase it?
    When people say things about your gear, you get very defensive. That's what I mean about lick your wounds. Don't take it to heart so much. You're not going to agree with everybody's opinions and you shouldn't expect them to agree with yours. That's what I was saying earlier when two audio reviewers go into the same room at an audio show and come out with two different opinions on the sound. I wouldn't call myself an instigator, but this site has been so dead, maybe this is what is needed. Some good give and take without insults. If you want to hear nothing but positive things about your gear, go to the audio magazines. They rarely write anything negative. Or you can hire some yes men that do nothing but agree with you.

I just got into hirez downloads and 192/24 is good for me. Plus I have vinyl, SACD, DVD-Audio and regular CD's, so that's plenty for me. Sorry if you're not into a little give and take. Like I said, just trying to liven up this board.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Ok gotcha...the board is dead because of no infighting and we should trash each others gear from time to time... Ok.

Ok gotcha...the board is dead because of no infighting. Ok.
    You think this is infighting? OMG. This is exchanging opinions about gear without insulting the other persons gear. If you take it as more than that, I think you might be a little too thin skinned for this hobby. Why do you think this board is dying? No posts, that's why. On other boards we have a friendly back and forth banter and nobody gets their panties in a bunch. Sorry if you did. Try joining a vintage car club and you'll see what sensitive is. Those guys are really protective.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Frenchmon, I am leaning to the Marantz NA-11s1 as it sounds like it has the warmer sound that I covet. It also has all the connectivity that I am looking for. It will take usb sticks which is a nice feature. I am considering waiting till after Axpona.
    Ravin....that's a very nice option! I've listened to that DAC several times...even this weekend with Peabody...there was Also that very expensive Cary DAC and the Bracasti DAC. I find the NA-11s1 a very musical DAC. Has a nice warm sound signature Marantz is known for. It's more of a Network server/streamer. That will be a very nice sounding option for you. Did you know their HD-1 has the reference parts in it? I've read it's sound is reference sounding like the 11s1, so if you wanted to save a few bucks, it comes in at $800. I was so close to coming to Expona with Peabody but I really need to spend the cash on that tread mill...it's now or never.

I like the reviews on the Cary 100t tube DAC but it does not do DSD, the 200t does but it is out of my price range. I would love to hear a Lampi as well. I have ruled out the Vega as a few guys that own one say that it can be on the bright side of neutral.
    The Cary DAC we heard was really a nice option. It was the top of the line DAC. It had an switch to go from tubes to SS and also had a built in CDP. In my opinion, it was over kill. I really don't want a tube DAC as my preamp and amp have tubes already. I don't want a classic tube sound from the 50's. That's one reason why I use NOS Valvo and NOS Telefunken tubes in my gear alone with NOS Telefunkin and NOS TEN KOBE. Has a very nice tube presence without being overly warm and a very nice dynamic sound...notes just linger in the air! As much as I love the sound of the Lampizator DAC, I've noticed that many of them are having repair issues. I've also seen quite a bit of them on Audiogon for resale. I would hate to purchase one and it craps out on me.

What ever I buy will be used and $2500 is my limit. The Comet is an awesome DAC but it is not a great match for my Magnepans in my highly reflective room. I tried the Comet with my Monitor Audio S1's and PSB B6's and it was a perfect match for both of those speakers and it had a dead neutral sound as opposed to the Maggies which sounded bright on some recordings. You have got to hear the Comet to appreciate the 3D sound and sound stage. The sound stage is not only wide but it is tall and deep.
    I would love to hear a Comet....perhaps I will one day. Have you thought about sound panels?

Too bad you won't be at Axpona. It would be nice to meet people from the forum. I am going to try and meet with Mr. P.
    Yeah I wish I could, but the money is spent now...I'd love to meet you as well. Any one else from the forum going? Yeah..Peabody is really a cool guy....he loves his music as we all do.

Here's a very nice place to visit in your spare time...it's about computer auddio The Well-Tempered Computer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information