Forum Regular

CD PLAYER: ROTEL or DENON

Hello All,

I want to treat myself to a 5-disc CD changer with a coaxial out. Either the Rotel 1055 or the Denon 380.
    I'm a 75% movie person & 25% music person. Rotel-$700 / Denon-$300. Money isn't the problem, I just want a good sounding CD player. I now own a Yamaha CD player with only an optical out.

So which one???? I'll let you make the decission.

june

If you're using the coaxial out, it won't matter which one you get. A $50 player and a $5000 player will sound identical since you're using the digital output.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It might be a bit of a stretch to say that the two players will sound identical, but N. Abstentia is right in suggesting they will sound pretty darn close. Then again they might sound identical.
    To be honest, I have a $200 something Yamaha and a $900 or so Arcam that sound pretty darn similar to me...are you sure there isn't something else in your system that could use upgrading first? What don't you like about the Yamaha?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by juneaudrey
    Hello All,

I want to treat myself to a 5-disc CD changer with a coaxial out. Either the Rotel 1055 or the Denon 380.
    I'm a 75% movie person & 25% music person. Rotel-$700 / Denon-$300. Money isn't the problem, I just want a good sounding CD player. I now own a Yamaha CD player with only an optical out.

So which one???? I'll let you make the decission.

june
    I'm with the other guys. You could spend $700 and not hear any difference. I'd put $700 bucks towards a nice Rosewood Hsu sub myself

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfuzion
    I'm with the other guys. You could spend $700 and not hear any difference. I'd put $700 bucks towards a nice Rosewood Hsu sub myself
    This brings up the eternal question about things digital . Unless a digital cable actually drops bits or introduces so much noise that extra edges are found in the decoder, all digital cables should sound absolutely identical. No one ever reports on the number of errors read by the decoder when comparing CD players, transports or digital cables. I know the error rate is fairly high and error recovery in redbook CD is extensive but fewer errors should be pretty much the only thing that would make one player/cable sound better than another.

The decoder chips do have error flags I would guess that measuring the number of errors is not that hard. It would sure help in the purchase decision.

In saying "all players should sound the same" I wasn't clear about them sounding the same, I meant when using the same external digital to analog decoder.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Why not get a $300 DVD player that plays everything?
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Why not get a $300 DVD player that plays everything?
    Because in that price range a dedicated CD player will (arguably) sound better than a DVD player.

Thread Information