AR Newbie Registered Member

CD Player Recommendation

My long lasting Sony CDP-C67ES player died and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing? If not, what CD manufactures and related models should I spend my time researching for a replacement? I'm interested in a multidisc player and spending no more than $500.

Thanks for your input.

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Check out the Marantz CD4001 5 disc CD changer. Good reviews and a solid machine for $330.00. Log on to their website and click on the link for Hi-Fi components. Scroll down to this unit. Can't go wrong with a Marantz component. 3 year warranty is excellent. I had to actually utilize that on a Marantz A-V receiver. Worked out well.

There's a pretty decent Denon that lists for about $400 and can be had for half that at dakmart.com.

Give serious consideration to a single disc player, you will get better sound.

Marantz 5003, Music Hall 25.2, Oppo 983 universal DVD, CD and SACDP.

Or consider a cheap Multi disc CDP like the onkyo and buy a DAC like the new CAmbridge Audio.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I have had several CD players.

I will second the recommendation by Blackraven, you will get much better sound from a single CD unit. The best I have owned is a Rega Apollo. It has a simple great top load design, truly fab wolfson DAC, and will intialize each cd and pick the correct beam for the cd. Better than Arcam, Sony, Cambridge Audio and others I tried.

If you have a computer with a decent HD, you can get a Squeezebox by Slim Devices, now owned by Logitech. You can rip all your CD's to a HD with EAC software or other software like Apple's itunes and have TREMENDOUS cd quaility sound wireless through the stand alone digital music server. About $300.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/

my two cents

CD 5003 ... am glad someone recommended it

Recently I bought a pair of Magnepan MMG + NAD C372 amp (that's all I can afford) and have been looking for a decent CD Player. The only one the shop near me has - is Marantz CD 5003.

I am glad that you have given me some courage and spend my hard earned money on it

Thank you VERY MUCH

Linear Guy

consider this...

Of course you probably cant go wrong with the 5003 but I had a recent experience that might help. I have a 5 year old Cambridge 640c Rev 1 player and although it excels with folk and small jazz combo, it has always been a problem in terms of resolution with orchestra music. Naturally I was hesitant to spend 1.5K plus for a new CD player. I say naturally because I have a hard time justifying that kind of outlay these days.

Anyway, I bought a Musical Fidelity V DAC for 299.00 and used the Cambridge as a transport. Blam. slightly wider soundstage but way deeper sound stage with the resolution going many instruments deep before fading. A noticeable improvement in the music I like to listen to. I have been re-playing all my Requiems and Masses to critically listen for improvement and I have not been dissapointed. My wife likes a changer for convenience so I hooked up the Denon from the bedroom and did not notice any sonic differences from the platter transport. So, the outboard DAC made sense to me and I am enjoying the purchase very much. There is an added bonus of portability and a USB connection. I have no doubt that players costing 1.5K and above are special in some way. I heard a Mcintosh SACD player recently and thought it was fairly incredible.
    Good luck. your speaker choice is superb and stats allow a bit wider range of source quality IMO. dk

Marantz CD5003

daviethek

Thank you very much for the detailed response. In the location that I am in, and with the budget constraints of these very challenging times, I went for the 5003, and am a happy man. The sales person offered me a 30% discount if I bought a Denon 1505 Tuner - and got a 40% discount on the tuner price too.

As of now I am not too happy with the way I have installed the tuner, I still need to errect a decent antenna, however there is too much happiness in the household with my wife actually ignoring everything other than the tuner!

Her baking lessons on her favourite FM station is actually pushing me towards changing my vocation.

Thanks again to all.
    hrp

Forum Regular
    "There's a pretty decent Denon that lists for about $400 and can be had for half that at dakmart.com."

If you're talking about the Denon DCM-370, I'm not so sure about it. The supposed mod everyone's been using of disconnecting the headphone jack internally I think might be bogus, or perhaps only works on people with defective ones. I just unpacked mine after quite a while in storage and it sounds better with it connected, and even then it's probably only on some HDCDs that it beats my Pioneer imported universal, my TDK cd recorder, and my HK receiver. Not a bad deck by any means, but I think the stunning bass we've been going on about all these years was the result of compression. The sibilance range becomes obviously less pristine on my unit with the mod. I don't want to bash it, but I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't notice it before. Stock, it's not the most transparent, liquid, or detailed deck around, but seems pretty warm. That could be a possible phase inaccuracy in the lower mids, though.

Take severe care with NAD C545BEE

I have just bought one of this, It has the very disagreable bug that produces gaps, randomly, during the transitions from one track to the other IN CONTINUOUS MUSIC places, spoiling the listening (so every other NAD CD player in the store). When claimed, dealer got from NAD Headquarters the instruction to wait for an interfase update to fix me the problem (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I returned the unit, got my money's refund and I am looking for a Rotel RCD06. I cannot almost believe what happend considering tha prestige of NAD, Greetings.

Suspended
    If you want a killer CD player for $399.00 USD you should pick up the Emotiva ERC-1. It performs like it costs several times it's price. www.emotiva.com

It would be a miracle Emotiva might have a representative here in Chile. We have to get happy with what we have arround. Currenlty I am being offered a compensation for the NAD failure and I hope I will get a good satisfaction. Many thanks. Regards

Suspended
    Emotiva sells direct to the customer via the internet. No representative for any one. They will answer your questions if you email them. You can find contact info on the website I gave you the link to.

Is Chilli 110v or 220v?

If you would like other suggestions on players give me an idea of what you would have access to.

Many thanks. The trouble is eventual technical support. Here in Chile we are 220.50 cylces. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Emotiva sells direct to the customer via the internet. No representative for any one. They will answer your questions if you email them. You can find contact info on the website I gave you the link to.

Is Chilli 110v or 220v?

If you would like other suggestions on players give me an idea of what you would have access to.

Thread Information