Forum Regular

CD Player Comparisons

Fresh meat here on the forum, so be gentle.
    I've been given a small window of opportunity to upgrade some components in my system. My first upgrade was to the Harman Kardon HK3480 and I love it. My next target is my Sony CD player I purchased in 1994 and never liked. I had an old El Cheapo Technics that sounded better, but R.I.P.
    Here's what I'm looking at: Cambridge 340C, 540C, and kinda' circling the 640C out of curiosity.
    OR
    NAD C521BEE
    OR
    Marantz CD-5001

Here's what I need. Someone who has listened to these machines to give me your comparison against each other. I have read the customer reviews of these products, but few people have actually reviewed them all together, so I have an understanding of how they stack up against each other.

You also need to know, I am only vaguely familiar with terminology. I know what I like to hear (and I do have a good ear in picking it out). I like systems to be a little somewhat treble-biased, but please don't hurt my ears! I am looking for as much revealing detail in the highs and mids as I can get away with in this price range, but as I said before, I'm not looking to hurt myself. I'll be running this with a set of JBL 4312B monitors. I chose this speaker for the snappy details in the highs and mids as well. However, my Sony CDP-C345 completely screws the experience up. It sounds like I have wet, fully packed coffee filters over my mid ranges and tweeters. Gee, much less detail than my old Technics had.

Understand also, I have no way of being able to audition these players, as I live in a very, very small southern town, where WalMart rules. Long story there. Now that you know what I'm looking for, how about a little help?

Thanks a lot!

MR Bubble

golden ear
    the cambridge audio 540C would be your best buy in that case. but best thing to do is to give each of them a listen using the same CD and set up if possible.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the tip, accastil. I've been circling around that one too, as Audio Advisor has them on sale. I wish I could listen to them all, but as I said before, Wal Mart ownes the town here, and I doubt if I'll make it to Houston any time soon. It's folks like you who give me tips. Thanks again.

Anyone else?

MR Bubble

golden ear
    if youd be considering other brands, you could also add rotel 1072, and rotel rcd02..they actually have newer models like rotel 1070 and rcd06. arcam is good as well but with higher price range.

Forum Regular
    I just completed my order through Audioadvisor.com for the Cambridge 540C. I hope I did good, but the more I think about it, I have to realize ANYTHING is better than what I've been listening to.

Thanks for the tips!

MR Bubble

golden ear
    sorry i forgot to mention...the azur540 and 640c has versions1 and 2...i hope you ordered the latest version. congratulations..hear the difference.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR Bubble
    I just completed my order through Audioadvisor.com for the Cambridge 540C. I hope I did good, but the more I think about it, I have to realize ANYTHING is better than what I've been listening to.

Thanks for the tips!

MR Bubble
    Congrats on your new cd player. The nice thing about AudioAdvisor is their 30 day return if it is not what is best for your system. I have the Marantz CD 5001 and it is a detailed and smooth player. AudioAdvisor also carries the Marantz. Of course at the price for the 540 it would be tough to beat.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    JohnMichael, I was circling around the Marantz for a while too. I'm still curious about it and was hoping for detailed comparisons between the two. Really what would have been perfect are some folks who had listened to the two of them and decided on purchasing one. That way they could tell me why they chose one over the other, and for what reasons. That way I could compare stories and look for a "trend." Sounds anal, I know.

Accastil, I remember now about two versions. Thanks for jarring my memory. So, how does one identify said version 2? If it has been on the market long enough, I'd assume (Custer assumed, I assume) that's all you could purchase new. But, then again, why else are they going for $199? Oh, you made it sound like version 1 would be an awful buy... Do I need to worry?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    How did compare Marantz SA1 vs SA11s1? Now I see on my location shop this double, SA1 used (90% new) priced 2000usd and SA11s1 brand new 2150usd. Which choose? PlPlease any one give me oppion.

Thanks.

Hien

Forum Regular
    Hey all, my Cambridge 540C shipped out last night from Audio Adviser. I emailed them asking if it's the version 1 or 2. They just emailed me and said it is the version 1. I am only assuming it has got to sound better than what I'm already listening to, but should I be worried? I'm about to email them and let them know I'm not too happy about it. Just how much worse is the 1 than the 2?

golden ear
    sound-wise, they do not actually have any difference at all. what is new about the 2nd version is that they have introduced a dimmer for the display and have managed to elimiate the clicking sound for skipping tracks. if you do not mind the dimmer and the clicking sound for skipping tracks, you do not have anything to worry about...coz for me, what matters most is the sound ....i too bought the version 1.

golden ear
    and regarding choosing components, whether it be a player or a preamp, receiver, power amp, speaker...the most important thing of all is system matching or synergy. your buy has to integrate well with your existing set up. otherwise, its gonna be a ruin rather than an upgrade or improvement. it is most important to listen before buying at a condition very similar to your existing set up

Forum Regular
    anyone using or knows Sony SCD-XB780 cd player?
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)

Forum Regular
    accistal,
    I understand what you're driving at here. Normally, I would audition components, but as I said before, I live in an area where there are ZERO stereo merchants. If you want a new component, you had better get a "system in a box" from the likes of Wal Mart. Appreciation has gone down so much for quality stereo listening to the "Bang for the Buck" crowd, as you all know.
    Anyway, the machine arrived today and I plugged it all up. I like it a lot, but it seems a little "weird." Maybe I just need to run it more. Seems the mids are pumped up a little higher than what I'm used to. If I adjusted my EQ to get the same forward mids from my old Sony, it would really be hurting my ears, but this one seems smoother on the ears with the more pronounced mids, even with my EQ almost at a nominal setting. It seems a little too forward, with the highs a bit recessed. I sure hope the highs come out a bit more after it runs longer. But actually, at first play, it sounded terrible. Then before my very ears (about 10 minutes later) things started opening up. Wow! That was a cool experience. It still would be better if the mids weren't so "bright" and the highs were a little more open. Gee, seems like I just said this a minute ago.

All-in-all, I think I did good. Now, I just wonder how the Marantz would sound? We'll just see how it sounds next week about this time.

Forum Regular
    accistal,
    I understand what you're driving at here. Normally, I would audition components, but as I said before, I live in an area where there are ZERO stereo merchants. If you want a new component, you had better get a "system in a box" from the likes of Wal Mart. Appreciation has gone down so much for quality stereo listening to the "Bang for the Buck" crowd, as you all know.
    Anyway, the machine arrived today and I plugged it all up. I like it a lot, but it seems a little "weird." Maybe I just need to run it more. Seems the mids are pumped up a little higher than what I'm used to. If I adjusted my EQ to get the same forward mids from my old Sony, it would really be hurting my ears, but this one seems smoother on the ears with the more pronounced mids, even with my EQ almost at a nominal setting. It seems a little too forward, with the highs a bit recessed. I sure hope the highs come out a bit more after it runs longer. But actually, at first play, it sounded terrible. Then before my very ears (about 10 minutes later) things started opening up. Wow! That was a cool experience. It still would be better if the mids weren't so "bright" and the highs were a little more open. Gee, seems like I just said this a minute ago.

All-in-all, I think I did good. Now, I just wonder how the Marantz would sound? We'll just see how it sounds next week about this time.
    Mr Bubble I just went through the same growing pains with an Arcam 73T CDP. I wasn't that impressed with it right out of the box. After about a week it already sounds better. My audio dealer said that even non-tube components need to burn in. I also tend to be very over-critical with anything I buy initially then start to enjoy it more in time. Enjoy your new player.

golden ear
    accistal,

while it is true that the azur is a little on the bright side, the marantz cd5001 is much brighter. you will need a very dull amp and speakers to compensate for its brightness...finally, the rcd02 and 06 produces a very very balanced and clean sound.

Quote Originally Posted by accastil
    while it is true that the azur is a little on the bright side, the marantz cd5001 is much brighter. you will need a very dull amp and speakers to compensate for its brightness...finally, the rcd02 and 06 produces a very very balanced and clean sound.

My experience with the Marantz CD5001 is the opposite of your I must say. I find the player to be smooth and balanced.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    My experience with the Marantz CD5001 is the opposite of your I must say. I find the player to be smooth and balanced.
    that is very good john michael. your pre amp, amp and speakers must have done the compensation for the player's sonic character. that is the most important of all...system synergy. if you will be pairing the marantz CD5001 with a bright sounding pre-amp, amp or speakers, you might well be buying another brand.

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    the mrantz CD5001 is ideal to pair with a laid back system if you want it to have the sweetness of the mid and the mid highs. it sounds very good with my harman kardon and MS speakers but is sounds so overbright with my marantz preamp and paradigm 20's.

golden ear
    marantz CD5001 - tends to be overbright when paired with the wrong components and speakers
    NAD C542 - a little bit on the dull side but the sound is still dynamic. this has to be paired with a little bit bright sounding components and speakers.
    rotel RCD02 and 06 - very clean and balanced sound. this one would just follow the sound character of all the other components. good point is clarity and clean sound.
    HK hd970 - dull sounding. it has to be paired with over bright components and speakers.

all these players are good only if they are paired with the correct system.

Forum Regular

Browse Reviews Here I was Totally Disspointed in Rotel RCD 1072

I find the review here on the Review Page are very helpful especially if there are more then 5 of them I tried the Rotel RCD 1072 & on my system it was terrible A total dry sterile analytic sound with no balls

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    I find the review here on the Review Page are very helpful especially if there are more then 5 of them I tried the Rotel RCD 1072 & on my system it was terrible A total dry sterile analytic sound with no balls
    rcd1072 sounds very good actually when paired with BnW and other rotel electronics. you that is how important synergy is.

Forum Regular
    i've ordered MArantz CD5001 guys

and have 2 solid state amps
    Marantzz and Denon,which one u suggest using with this new Cd player
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)

Quote Originally Posted by abulgan
    i've ordered MArantz CD5001 guys

and have 2 solid state amps
    Marantzz and Denon,which one u suggest using with this new Cd player

abulgan I hope you enjoy your CD5001 as much as I do mine. I am sure it will work well with the Marantz but also try it with the Denon. Part of the fun of the hobby is trying different combinations to find the most musical pairing.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information