Forum Regular

Smile Cambridge Audio CD Players

Can anyone tell me the main differences between the 540c & the 640c models, is the 640c worth the extra $200? Audioadvisor.com has sreaming deals on these players.
    Another question, would I be better off just to get their 540D DVD Player because of the versatility of doing both formats DVD & CD, would CD'S sound just as good with the DVD player?

Many thanks.

Some comments

Quote Originally Posted by HT BUFF
    Can anyone tell me the main differences between the 540c & the 640c models, is the 640c worth the extra $200? Audioadvisor.com has sreaming deals on these players.
    Another question, would I be better off just to get their 540D DVD Player because of the versatility of doing both formats DVD & CD, would CD'S sound just as good with the DVD player?

Many thanks.
    Among the three players my guess would be that the differences are small. However I have only heard the 640C which I compared with my current Sony SACD player: I preferred the latter which I feel is perhaps a little less smooth sound but has better resolution.

If I were looking for the best CDP under US$1000 I would check out the Alesis Masterlink ...It is a recorder as well as player, and in fact, records at up to 24 bit, 96 Hz resolution. It is the lowest cost Stereophile Class 'A' digital source; the MSRP is $1500, but I have seen it for sale online at multiple sites for $800.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cambridge Audio CD Players-alesis_ml9600.jpg  

Those are really good prices. The new V2's really knocked the prices down, eh?

I don't really think the question is whether or not the 640 is $200 better so much as will it provide a 85% improvement in sound? That's the difference in cost. IOW, is the 640 nearly twice as good as the 540c?

Feanor,
    I've never even heard of Alesis. That looks like a commercial cdp, is it?

Forum Regular

Wink Amazing deal

What I was looking @ was the 540c @ $200, crazy, the prior version.

Forum Regular
    I am wondering the exact same thing, would love advice on if the 640 is worth the extra $!
    Thanks

it's about the music
    for 200 bucks i'd say its a no brainer. that's about the price i got it for, and its an excellent machine. the word around is that the 640c offers "marginal" or "significant" improvements depending on who's talking. No one ever said "there's virtually no difference".
    for 200, u can't go wrong.
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Forum Regular
    I recently purchased an Arcam 73T CDP for $620 and have found it to be incredible for the money.I did replace a 14 year old Rotel so of course the Arcam should easily outperform it due to newer technology. That being said I paid about the same price for the Rotel way back when and the 73T has made my existing B&W 703's sound incredible where before I found them much too bright.I know this stuff is so subjective but I did audition the 73T and also did a lot of research regarding professional reviews. The general consensus seemed to be the Arcam might be the best(or one of the best) CDP under a $1000. It is also upgradable to an upsampling player with hardware changes if the upgrade bug bites which is fairly unique. Just thought I'd pass on my own experience. I have read that the 640C is a worthy improvement over the 540C but I didn't personally listen to both machines. Good luck with your choice as I know component upgrades can be nerve-wracking.

Thread Information