AR Newbie Registered Member

Cambridge 640C V2 vs. Rotel RCD-1072

Hello everyone! My good old Rotel RCD 855 quit on me a week ago and i' m looking to replace it. I compared the RCD-1072 to the Arcam CD73 and although the Arcam sounded better with smooth music (Norah Jones) with a more natural sound and very detailled, it was somewhat confused when a more rock CD was playing (System of a Down). The Rotel was also pretty nice with Norah Jones but lacked the "precision" of the Arcam but it was more able to deal with the messyness of System of a Down. Because of that and because 75% of the time i listen to rock, alternative, electronic music, I preferred the Rotel and also because my Rotel components have been very reliable over the years. I have yet to sample the Cambridge 640C v2, I've heard a lot of good review about this one and it is 250$ cdn. cheaper than the Rotel. So anyone compared the 2?? Thanks
    My system: Amp. Rotel RA-820ax, Speakers: B&W DM602

Well it is a tough call they are both pretty decent amps, the biggest question is.. considering you listen to more rock/alternative and the rotel is the better amp for that, is it worth the 250 extra... personally i would say it is.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Forum Regular
    Hi,
    I had about half an hour comparing the Rotel with the Cambridge 640c v2. The Rotel had less sparkle at the top than CA, the CA was more punchy in the bass as well and a slightly more upfront sound and seems well suited to rock. I actually preferred the CA over the Rotel it seemed more musically involving. However if you have overbright sounding electronics the CA may be to upfront. See my review at the audioreview at the reviews section dated 25/1/07 on the CA v2. Let me know how you go. I was interested in the Arcam cd73t compared to the CA v2. Happy listening.
    Steve.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Bbr,

Just a couple of thoughts:

Rotel and B&W are owned by the same parent company and are "voiced" to be paired together. I have heard many decent Rotel/B&W combos.In this price range this is definetely a grouping worth checking out.

That said, if I had one recommendation it would be to find a dealer that allows home auditions. I am a believer in room/system synergy. What sounds great in my room and on my system (and to my ears) may be unlistenable to you. My audio pimp let's me take whatever I want for a few days or a weekend, and consequently, he takes a lot of my money. But, I don't spend any time trying to unload components I've bought because they were disappointing at home.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks to you all!! I'll probably make a decision soon, I first have to know if my beloved RCD-855 is dead or not (doesn't look good). For now I think I'll go with the Rotel based on the review I have read and on my passed experience with other Rotel components. One thing's for shure I like the Rotel better than the Arcam, and some reviews comparing the Arcam and the Cambridge, seem to prefer the Arcam. I have to sample the Cambridge anyway, even though I don't like the 2 hi-fi stores who sells Cambridge products in my area. Thanks also for the advice on trying to get the store to loan me a player so I can hear it in my room, but the thing is, the store listening room is somewhat similar to mine, and I've listened to both the Rotel and Arcam (and Marantz...urk!) on pretty much the same equipement has mine. By the way, a Playstation 2 is not a good replacement CD players, loll, that's what him stuck with for now. Thank you and I'll keep you posted

Forum Regular

Rotel vs Cambridge

Just wanted to add that I had the Arcam 73T and liked it quite a bit.I upgraded it to the 192T simply because I was ready for an upgrade not because of any disappointments with the player.I spent a lot of time listening to the Rotel1072.Arcam 73T, and Cambridge 640C(Version 1).I liked the Arcam best with the Rotel a close second.

They were both the exact same price so that was truly apples to apples.I love Rotel products though and I think you're looking at the right players for your price point.To me the Rotel had slightly better High end resolution,while the Arcam 73T was a warmer more laid back sound which I prefer.Very subjective stuff of course.

The Cambridge version 2 wasn't out yet so I can't make a fair assessment on that player.I'm intrigued by it's 2 DAC's especially since it's slightly less expensive than both the Rotel and Arcam if you shop it online.I've heard very conflicting reviews on the Cambridge.Some say it's amazing while many others say it isn't very musical and the original V1 may even be better.Sorting through reviews can be brutal.

Arcam and Rotel(not %100 on Rotel)aren't available on line so of course the Cambridge will be more competetively priced.If you can get a dealer to let you borrow a player to plug into your very system that of course is the most accurate review you can do.Anyway enjoy your hunt as you're looking at some very good units.

I totally agree with you BillyB concerning the Rotel vs. Arcam, but subjectively speaking, the sound of the Rotel is more suited to my musical taste. I remember when I first bought my sound system, I was saying that there was no point of having a good sound system for rock/metal music, so I justed brought Jazz and classical music to my listening sessions. Boy was i wrong!! 15 years ago I would've bought the Arcam, but I learned that we have to be honest with ourselves and choose a sound that is good for what you listend the most.

So I went to listen to the Cambridge 640c v2. First of all it was on a better amp and speakers than mine. I found it to be very clear and detailled. But I found it to be a little pale on the bass side and even though the equipement was better than mine, again it seem a little confused with System of a Down, like the Arcam. So I finally decided to stick with the Rotel and bought a RCD-1072 and so far I am very happy with it...better than my RDC-855, especially with a HDCD. One thing I always found that was missing was the bass, I always had good low bass tone, but the punchy bass of a drum for exemple, was somewhat tame. It is now much better, and the salesperson tells me that it should get better with time after the break-in. And one that strikes me, it how silent it is, I mean no background "humm" at all. I'll say this though, I would take the Arcam over the Rotel for Jazz/vocal music, it has a more natural sound with nothing being more upfront than the other. But for someone like me who listen to all types of music, the Rotel is perfect, a little more punchy. I would place the Cambridge a not so distant 3rd, thing is with the Cambridge is that the Arcam's better in about everyway (their quite similar), but it cost a little more, so it is a draw if we put the price in the equation. So thanks to all of you who gave me some perspective.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats on the new toy! Glad to read that it fits your system and musical tastes.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennyboyracer
    So I went to listen to the Cambridge 640c v2. First of all it was on a better amp and speakers than mine. I found it to be very clear and detailled. But I found it to be a little pale on the bass side and even though the equipement was better than mine, again it seem a little confused with System of a Down, like the Arcam. So I finally decided to stick with the Rotel and bought a RCD-1072 and so far I am very happy with it...better than my RDC-855, especially with a HDCD. One thing I always found that was missing was the bass, I always had good low bass tone, but the punchy bass of a drum for exemple, was somewhat tame. It is now much better, and the salesperson tells me that it should get better with time after the break-in. And one that strikes me, it how silent it is, I mean no background "humm" at all. I'll say this though, I would take the Arcam over the Rotel for Jazz/vocal music, it has a more natural sound with nothing being more upfront than the other. But for someone like me who listen to all types of music, the Rotel is perfect, a little more punchy. I would place the Cambridge a not so distant 3rd, thing is with the Cambridge is that the Arcam's better in about everyway (their quite similar), but it cost a little more, so it is a draw if we put the price in the equation. So thanks to all of you who gave me some perspective.
    Great choice as I forgot the Rotel adds HDCD compatibility which doesn't hurt any.I meant to also tell you that my Arcam 73T replaced a 14 year old Rotel(not sure what model off-hand). While it was certainly an upgrade I was amazed that my old Rotel actually held it's own as opposed to being completely blown away by the newer player with the newer technology.I'm certainly biased as my amp and pre-amp are both Rotel but they are so good at their price point I truly consider them audiophile sound at a price that doesn't destroy you.Enjoy

Thread Information