Thread: DVD/VCR Combo

DVD/VCR Combo

My current Denon 1805 DVD changer is acting up and I would like to replace it. My setup is in the basement and consists of the following:

Denon 2803 (Reciever)
    Paradigm Mini Monitors (Front)
    Paradigm CC 370 (Center)
    Paradigm Titans (Rear)

I have several VHS tapes that i would like to watch without having to go upstairs and bother wife and kids. I was thing about a DVD/VCR combo unit. Are there any good units out there or should I just replace the DVD unit and get a separate VCR player???

Try to keep it under $300 guys & gals.

Thank You
    Randy

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by axelsrd
    My current Denon 1805 DVD changer is acting up and I would like to replace it. My setup is in the basement and consists of the following:

Denon 2803 (Reciever)
    Paradigm Mini Monitors (Front)
    Paradigm CC 370 (Center)
    Paradigm Titans (Rear)

I have several VHS tapes that i would like to watch without having to go upstairs and bother wife and kids. I was thing about a DVD/VCR combo unit. Are there any good units out there or should I just replace the DVD unit and get a separate VCR player???

Try to keep it under $300 guys & gals.

Thank You
    Randy
    Your second option is by FAR the best course for you to take. Many years of servicing experience has completely soured me on any and all "combo" units ... they are just not a smart way to do things IMO.

Both DVD players and VCRs have now migrated down the product scale to where they are now both considered what's known in the industry as "commodity products". Translated into plain English, this means that there is no longer any consideration in their design other than to make them as cheaply as possible. Fortunately for all concerned, this does not mean a big sacrifice in performance - only in "build quality". What this means for consumers is that they'd better not expect long term reliability from them. Expect to replace them after a few years of use ... in other words, consider them as "disposable" or "throw away" products.

You don't need to be concerned with "try to keep it under $300" ... you can buy good performing DVD players and VCRs for less than $100 each today. Buy one of each and enjoy.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Totally agree with Woodman. Combo units are generally a bad idea. Typically 1 part of the unit will go before the other. Your choice then is to replace the whole thing or get a separate vcr or dvd player, which brings you right back to your original question. Separate units will also keep you flexible for placement as well as for servicing and or upgrading. It's always the little things that get you. For example, you might not be able to fit a combo unit in an entertainment center or component rack. Or maybe you won't be able to program another remote to work it.

Thread Information