• 09-27-2009, 04:03 PM
    joshcloud9
    I am just wanting to check that the 2134 is a dual channel, therefore replacing two of them would require 4 of the expensive 627's -- is that correct?

Thanks
  • 09-28-2009, 03:03 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joshcloud9
    I am just wanting to check that the 2134 is a dual channel, therefore replacing two of them would require 4 of the expensive 627's -- is that correct?

Thanks

That's correct. You can order 2 627s mounted on a single socket here. This auction is for two dual mounted sockets.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Cheers
    LDB
  • 09-28-2009, 04:23 AM
    jrhymeammo
    HEY LDB,

Can you tell me what capacitors and resistors are used for the stock unit?
    I am pretty unsatisfied with my MF X-CAN V8, and it seem modification for the unit is not recommended due to its circuit board.

Thanks,
    JRA
  • 09-28-2009, 05:42 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    HEY LDB,

Can you tell me what capacitors and resistors are used for the stock unit?
    I am pretty unsatisfied with my MF X-CAN V8, and it seem modification for the unit is not recommended due to its circuit board.

Thanks,
    JRA

Hey J, I took a look when I had the cover off awhile back but I'll be damned if I can remember now. I have a day off today so I'll look in a while and let you know then.

Cheers,
    LDB
  • 09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    J, The MH uses Rubycon caps and metal oxide film resistors (1% tolerance).

FYI, the 6922 tube is used only on the SE outputs. I have both the balanced and SE connected and switch between them depending on the recording and source. I find although the tube sound is great for vocals it seems to collapse the sound-stage a bit too much for certain types of music.
    Any suggestions on what I should start with when I start to roll tubes?

LDB
  • 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
    LDB, I was surprised to hear that you were already wanting to change the MH DAC. If you remember, I returned mine not too soon after I auditioned it because it did not improve over the sound of the source. I was going to try a different tube, but decided to return it while I still could. But this got me thinking of maybe upgrading my player, then.

Anyhow, next time you open her up, can you take a picture of what the DAC looks like with the new op amps?
  • 09-29-2009, 04:01 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    LDB, I was surprised to hear that you were already wanting to change the MH DAC. If you remember, I returned mine not too soon after I auditioned it because it did not improve over the sound of the source. I was going to try a different tube, but decided to return it while I still could. But this got me thinking of maybe upgrading my player, then.

Anyhow, next time you open her up, can you take a picture of what the DAC looks like with the new op amps?

I was happy with the MH and I didn't have a deliberate plan in mind but after reading about the op-amp swap for $40 I had to try it, glad I did. I find the 6922 tube collapses the sound field when I use the SE cables so I was wondering if a tube swap could help this out.

My camera is FUBAR'd and since I don't take many pics it may be awhile before I replace it. I could take a pic with the cell phone but......

Here is the link to the op-amps

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and a pic of the innards are posted somewhere in this thread.

Cheers
    LDB
  • 09-29-2009, 09:06 AM
    Sorry to hear about the camera, but I'm glad you like the upgrade. The tube in the MH DAC has been the topic of quite a few discussions. Most of what I've read suggests that while it provides an improvement in one area, there will be a shortcoming in another.

The reason I was hoping to see a picture is because the op amps look pretty sizeable and could be a tight fit. Or maybe that's not the case?
  • 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    Sorry to hear about the camera, but I'm glad you like the upgrade. The tube in the MH DAC has been the topic of quite a few discussions. Most of what I've read suggests that while it provides an improvement in one area, there will be a shortcoming in another.

The reason I was hoping to see a picture is because the op amps look pretty sizeable and could be a tight fit. Or maybe that's not the case?

I seldom listen thru the tube due to the sound field collapse but may be inclined to use it more if I could find a suitable tube swap.

No need to worry about the size of the op-amps. They take up the same amount of space as the originals (although a bit higher) and there is plenty of space to spare.

Cheers
  • 09-29-2009, 11:15 AM
    Feanor
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I seldom listen thru the tube due to the sound field collapse but may be inclined to use it more if I could find a suitable tube swap.

No need to worry about the size of the op-amps. They take up the same amount of space as the originals (although a bit higher) and there is plenty of space to spare.

Cheers

The opamps are the three small, socketted ICs 1 o'clock of the tube and partially surrounded by small red capacitors. There's lots of room for swapping dual 627 modules.
  • 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM
    Wow, what is pretty easy. I was thinking he installed those big honking things in the video clip.

Maybe I should have kept the DAC. Aside from tube-rolling, it never occurred to me to do any upgrades on it.
  • 09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    [QUOTE=nightflier]Wow, what is pretty easy. I was thinking he installed those big honking things in the video clip.[QUOTE]

That was going to be my original plan but our fine Silmarillion friend pointed out the Burr-Brown's from Gigaworks.
  • 10-03-2009, 03:35 PM
    jrhymeammo
    Quote:

FYI, the 6922 tube is used only on the SE outputs. I have both the balanced and SE connected and switch between them depending on the recording and source. I find although the tube sound is great for vocals it seems to collapse the sound-stage a bit too much for certain types of music.

LDB

Thanks LDB,
    Rubycon caps for a unit under $600? That's pretty impressive.

There are plenty of cheap 6922/6DJ8/6H23 tubes out there. You don't neccesarily have to spend hundreds on NOS tubes to find the sound you love. I love the sound of cheap Sovtek compared to Electro-Harmonix. EH has more transparent but less involving sound to my ears.

Have Fun,
    JRA
  • 10-03-2009, 04:33 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

LDB

I tried half a dozen different 6922s in my Sonic Frontiers preamp. The SF is notoriously neutral, almost solid state sounding so I looked around from something that would make just bit more tube-like. The tubes I like best were these Amperex USA white label 'PQ'. Smooth, detailed sound with that great tube illusion of depth. I bought these used, not NOS, for US$86; (true NOS would have been about 4x that price).

http://ody.ca/~wbailey/AmperexPQ.jpg
  • 10-03-2009, 08:32 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    I tried half a dozen different 6922s in my Sonic Frontiers preamp. The SF is notoriously neutral, almost solid state sounding so I looked around from something that would make just bit more tube-like. The tubes I like best were these Amperex USA white label 'PQ'. Smooth, detailed sound with that great tube illusion of depth. I bought these used, not NOS, for US$86; (true NOS would have been about 4x that price).

http://ody.ca/~wbailey/AmperexPQ.jpg

I've heard that about the PQ whites. Sounds like what I want from a tube. Good to hear it from someone here on AR. A little pricey for a used tube but I only need one and that's a small price to pay for sonic bliss? Mucho Gracias Feanor