AR Newbie Registered Member

Audio from PC to Receiver..Digital or Analogue?

hi all,
    i want to connect my pc to my Yamaha RX-V795a receiver to watch movies that i have downloaded (Xvid or Divx with either mp3 or AC-3 surround sound). i do not want to watch DVD's via my pc. I also want to play my 15000 or so mp3's through the receiver. (i've set up the Video side of things just fine)

i have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card, an Optical digital input available on the receiver (the only coaxial digital in that it has is for a DVD player and I currently have my dvd recorder connected to the Optical DVD input) as well as connections for an 'External decoder' (6 RCA's - Main L/R, Surrond L/R, Centre and Sub Woofer)

Can i use an optical connection only for what i want? or will i need to setup an analogue connection as well/instead of?

i'm happy to get a new sound card if need be and have seen that this one the V http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:M...h+AV-710&hl=en
    seems a good price and has an optical out.

thanks in advance

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kotton
    hi all,
    i want to connect my pc to my Yamaha RX-V795a receiver to watch movies that i have downloaded (Xvid or Divx with either mp3 or AC-3 surround sound). i do not want to watch DVD's via my pc. I also want to play my 15000 or so mp3's through the receiver. (i've set up the Video side of things just fine)

i have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card, an Optical digital input available on the receiver (the only coaxial digital in that it has is for a DVD player and I currently have my dvd recorder connected to the Optical DVD input) as well as connections for an 'External decoder' (6 RCA's - Main L/R, Surrond L/R, Centre and Sub Woofer)

Can i use an optical connection only for what i want? or will i need to setup an analogue connection as well/instead of?

i'm happy to get a new sound card if need be and have seen that this one the V http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:M...h+AV-710&hl=en
    seems a good price and has an optical out.

thanks in advance

ok i'll answer my own post. i've connected from the S/PIDF out 3.5mm stereo of the sound card and gone into the coaxial of the receiver. i used standard 75ohm coax cable and everything works awesome. no need for analog at all.

Thread Information