How are Adcom CD players?

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a higher end CD player, an upgrade from the $150-ish Yamaha, Carver, Kenwood units I've had in the past and something that sounds better than the DVD/CD player I'm using now (a 300 disc Sony).

Something like an Arcam really looks nice, but I have to have at least a 5 disc changer. I just can't go back to a single disc player. The dealer near me (which closed it's doors after Best Buy and Tweeter moved in ) used to carry Adcom but I never got a chance to listen to them.

So, for around $300, would a used Adcom 5 disc be a better sounding player than the DVD/CD player I'm using now? Keep in mind I prefer the sound of the analog output over the digital output so I doubt I will use digital.

I've looked at new players from Onkyo, Denon, and Sony but I don't feel those players sound any better than the Yahama 5 disc player I already have (which I might end up just breaking out of storage instead!)

Forum Regular
    Im not sure, but I think you can ONLY hear out of analogue outputs.
    The digital out is for a DAC is it not?

I guess you could always bring current player and compare some other models of CD player against it. That would be the best.

No the digital out works just like on a DVD player, plug it into a digital in and you're good to go. It bypasses the internal DAC.

Taking my current players are not really an option for a few reasons, it's not easy to unload a 300 disc changer and move it around! Plus I would want to hear the player on my system, and on top of all that it wouldn't be a local purchase. There are no dealers for anything near me (my only option within 15 miles is Radio Shack or a Rex TV) and it's an hour drive to where Best Buy and Tweeter are. Not sure what Tweeter carries but nothing that Best Buy carries interests me at all

Forum Regular
    I cannot comment on the Adcom but I knew Rotel also used to make an HDCD 5-disc changer, the RC955 I believe. Usually goes for around $300 on the used market.

I would think that either Adcom or Rotel would be a clear upgrade over the Yamaha.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I'm kicking around the idea of getting a higher end CD player, an upgrade from the $150-ish Yamaha, Carver, Kenwood units I've had in the past and something that sounds better than the DVD/CD player I'm using now (a 300 disc Sony).

Something like an Arcam really looks nice, but I have to have at least a 5 disc changer. I just can't go back to a single disc player. The dealer near me (which closed it's doors after Best Buy and Tweeter moved in ) used to carry Adcom but I never got a chance to listen to them.

So, for around $300, would a used Adcom 5 disc be a better sounding player than the DVD/CD player I'm using now? Keep in mind I prefer the sound of the analog output over the digital output so I doubt I will use digital.

I've looked at new players from Onkyo, Denon, and Sony but I don't feel those players sound any better than the Yahama 5 disc player I already have (which I might end up just breaking out of storage instead!)
    Every once in a while stuff like Rega Planet, Rotel (several models), Arcam and even (gasp) Sony plus some other nice stuff pops up at reasonable enough prices on eBay.

I would go back on a single disk unit. They tend to be more reliable than multi disk units and if you go the second hand route that should be one of your primary concerns.

As for Adcom I only auditoned some of their amps.Sorry I could not help you here.

Peace!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

adcom cdps

some have an absolute phase reversal switch which astounded me. i made that switch at a dealer once and the difference was clearly audible. one way is better than the other and now i wish this feature were standard on all preamps and with remote controllability balance is another remote feature that would be useful as well as volume.
    ...regards...tr

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

This time nobody here can really help you

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia

It's sad but true. CD players are very "person specific" and although I've got my favorites, you might not think the difference is worth the price. ADCOM makes some pretty good stuff for the $$$ though, and I'm using an ADCOM preamp, now instead of my PS Audio just for a change. It's a damn good unit too, although I'm not too keen on powered pre's as they give me too much gain. I've just blown two tweeter fuses again! ARRH!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information