Y adapter for subwoofer?

Is there any noticeable benifits to having a Y adapter in a subwoofer cable setup? Only thing I have heard is that it will make the sub louder, but not necessarily improve the sound quality of the bass. Also multiple connections/adapters between the source and the speaker is usually not a good idea from my listening experience.

Opinions from anyone who has experience with this setup in their system appreciated.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I think the volume gain is the only benefit to using a y-adapter. I use it, I find my sub's auto on works better. But that's about it.

Forum Regular
    When my system is in a theater mode i use a splitter at the sub,mostly to get the auto-on to come on faster.In stereo mode i run two cables from the front channel pre-outs to the sub,with my front speakers set as large.

bill

Input and two questions.

a) Adding a "Y" connector will increase the input level slightly. You may be able to lower the input level control somewhat but, ultimately, the sub won't be able to play any "louder" than it would before.

2) MM99 - a) How do you get your sub to select which inputs to use? An external line level selector? I've found that works but with certain limitations. see next q.

b) how do you set and maintain the different level settings for HT and music w/o constant readjustment? This is something I've had problems with from day 1.

Forum Regular
    mark

I do have to change settings and cables.My sub has line in and 5.1 in.For stereo i run a pair of cables from my l & r preouts to the l&r line in,cross over set to about 40 on sub.For theater i run sub out to y cable to l & r line in,mains set to small.Cross over in reciever set to 80,on sub just above 80.Sub level on reciever set 4 notches above mains,seems to work for both.

bill

Thread Information