Thread: Anticables

Anticables

I was browsing the net and ran across anticable speaker cables. Does anyone know anything about them. www.anticables.com The guy the sells them, Paul Speltz live in the same town as me.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

That's a joke...right?

They look nothing better the #14AWG XLPE building wire with cheap Thomas & Betts fork Terminals.

You could put these together for about$3.00 a piece.

As far as the interconnects..looks like aircraft cable with the wire spiraled around it.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

those look so flimsy that they would snap just during the installation of them.

whats the hell with anti cables anyway

I like to have cables running to my speakers...sounds so much better that way;-)
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

They are 12g solid wire. The few reviews on the net are mixed.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I've heard nothing but good things about them over on audiokarma. I've been meaning to try them myself.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Linear Guy

Anti-Cables

[QUOTE=blackraven]I was browsing the net and ran across anticable speaker cables. Does anyone know anything about them. www.anticables.com The guy the sells them, Paul Speltz live in the same town as me.[/QUOTE]

I installed them about 6 months ago. They outperform my Audioquest Bedrock at about half the price, so I sold the Bedrock. If that is any help.

They look simple but sound very good to me. In my view, one of the secrets of good cabling seems to be in heat treatment for grain refinement. The mom and pop guys are figuring that out for themselves and offering cables that comptete with the exotics. Certainly not an insulting price at about a hunj per pair. Might be worth an audition.

I use them on my 3.6R's, and they sound great.

But it's just magwire. You can get it much cheaper than he sells it for, as long as you don't care about having connectors on the end. (You just have to scrape off the lacquer with a utility knife.)
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Anything has got to sound better than the Monster Z4 that I picked up on the net.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I will have to check my issues of the Absolute Sound because that is where I first learned of them. One of the reviewers was pleased with his cables. One of the new theories is that the least amount of insulation the better. That may be why I like the AlphaCore MI 1 cable so much. Mapleshade cables also have thin coatings over their cables. All are single conductors for the positive and the negative.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

nightflier
    Just considering the physics of these cables, I've always been partial to the idea that the cables need to be thick (to transfer the necessary information) and well built. There is nothing more infuriating that a cable that tears, breaks, or looses a plug. I've stopped using plugs of any sort (using bare wire instead), but the cables themselves do need to have some heft, if you ask me.

The Mapleshade cables are the only thin cables I have ever auditioned that sounded good to my ears. I don't understand how they did it, but they are the exception. No other thin cable has ever bettered a thicker cable in my system. Never tried anticables, so I can't comment on them, but if they arein your town, you should be able to get them to audition a set in your home.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Anything has got to sound better than the Monster Z4 that I picked up on the net.
    What makes you think your Monster cables sound bad? I advise caution before spending money on cables because 99.5% of the time it's the last thing that matters.

The Z4's have exaggerated bass just like the M1000i interconnects. The high frequency also seems to be not as crisp and seems to roll off. They use the time correct windings which has a undeniable effect on the sound IMHO. I've since changed my IC's to Audioquest Corals which sounds totally different to any one who has heard my system. I'm going to change my speaker cables to BlueJean cables simple 10guage belden wire or possibly try the anticables since the husband and wife who make them live in my town 5 minutes from me and I can buy them directly from them.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I agree 100%. I'm actually a fan of the cheapest Monster Cable Interconnects which are just plain, heavy gauge wire with a good insulating material. At $10.00 or so for a 1 meter pair, these are hard to beat for the same $.

But... All of their pricier cables with the "time correct" windings and multi-gauge wire networks and such sound absolutely horrible to me. They do have an undeniable and extremely undesirable effect on the sound IMO. Maybe they could make a very cheap system sound more "open" by somehow exaggerating the frequency extremes or changing timing. On a decent system, everything's smeared. My 12 gauge speaker cables don't have the Monster Cable style windings and I swear they even sound better than others that do. The difference seems more subtle with the speaker wires than with the interconnects though...

The Anti-Cable speaker cables look like something I'd try. The interconnects... I don't know...
    Last edited by royphil345; 03-31-2007 at 01:33 PM.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    The Z4's have exaggerated bass just like the M1000i interconnects. The high frequency also seems to be not as crisp and seems to roll off. They use the time correct windings which has a undeniable effect on the sound IMHO. I've since changed my IC's to Audioquest Corals which sounds totally different to any one who has heard my system. I'm going to change my speaker cables to BlueJean cables simple 10guage belden wire or possibly try the anticables since the husband and wife who make them live in my town 5 minutes from me and I can buy them directly from them.
    Undeniable to your ears, or to an electrical engineer? I'm just advising caution before spending money on cables. I'm no fan of Monster either, just make sure you can return what you buy if you notice no difference because 99% of cables are going to sound essentially identical unless one is less shielded and there's a source of interference or there is a lot of contact resistance due to corrosion or damage.

Usually,

New gears=New Wires

New enviornment=New Wires

People change their cables and hear difference in sound. I'm definetly one of them. But one thing most of us dont do is to compare sound with their newest cable with their first cable they played with.

I'm currently using a pair of 12AWG OFC approved by Toyota Motors. It's yellow and I like them.

JRA

Thread Information