AR Newbie Registered Member

What is the maximum length of an RCA cable before signal degradation?

I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade. I have a DVD player in one room, and I want to connect it to a TV from another room. Distance is considerable so I want to know limitations

Quote Originally Posted by hELWP View Post
    I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade. I have a DVD player in one room, and I want to connect it to a TV from another room. Distance is considerable so I want to know limitations.
    Signal attenuation will depend on quality of cable for that distance. I would recommend RCA cable constructed with RG-59 coax cable (Radioshack). They are small diameter cable, yet very good for longer runs.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hELWP View Post
    I want to know how long the RCA cables (video and audio) can be, before signal starts to degrade.[/IMG]
    In theory, it probably degrades with each additional millimeter of length.

In practice, it would have to be a hell of a long cable before the man in the street heard any difference.

I run 20' cables from my preamp to my electronic crossover. I've never noticed any degradation in the sound. Of course, I don't use bargain basement cables. I use a mix of DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 and Air Matrix.

My preamp is positioned directly to my right. The electronic crossover and digital parametric equalizer are on a small stand between my speakers (~10' away from my chair). My subwoofer amps are on separate stands next to each subwoofer and the amps for my main speakers are directly behind them on stands.

I prefer long IC's and short speaker cables.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Video won't be a problem. Audio really depends on the output impedance of your DVD player. The higher the output impedance, the sooner you would see degradation. If you are under 100 feet, I don't think I would worry.

Thread Information