AR Newbie Registered Member

Welders wire as high quality cable?

Help! I just don't get it… I'm Trying to buy hight quality wire for a stereo system, I am in Bangkok. and the cost of the wire is outrageous. I compared a Sonace wire that has about 60 copper strands of copper costing 10 times the amount of a similar looking wire. To make things worse, I can buy a high quality shielded welders wire that has almost 1000 ( yes, one thousand ) fine copper fine stands, (looks about a 1/4 inch round in copper) for only 3 USD per meter (about 3 feet). Whats the deal? Whats the real difference, Is this a scam, and even if not, can you really honestly tell or hear the difference, all other conditions being the same?

It all depends on the sound. If the welders wire is only $3 for 3ft, why not get some and try it. Give it a break in period and go from there. Let us know. You might be onto something.

-aA

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Welcome to AR!!

The welders wire is more than likely to be a more crude type of copper. Most audiophile approved cabling contains OFHC copper. That's Oxygen Free High Thermal Conductivity. It's processed in a much more controlled and careful manner, which unto itself drives the cost up. They make sure that nothing contaminates the copper, so that you get the full benefit of its conductivity.

That said, welders will use this type of wire also. So check that it's OFHC or not. Whether OFHC makes a difference in transmitting an audio signal is debatable, and should be left up to your own ears to decide. At the cost you are facing to buy proper audiophile cables, I would try the welders wire AS WELL AS the proper audio cable. Just buy a small run if possible, so you can run some tests and decide which has got the goods.

Good luck,,,

Forum Regular
    You'd be better off using heavy duty extension cords and cutting the ends off.

Thread Information