USB Cable Question

Is any one using a Wire World Starlight 7 USB cable or an AQ Cinnamon or Carbon cable? How would you rate them? I am leaning to the WW cable. I would prefer to keep the cost under $100 but I could spring for the AQ Carbon.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Is any one using a Wire World Starlight 7 USB cable or an AQ Cinnamon or Carbon cable? How would you rate them? I am leaning to the WW cable. I would prefer to keep the cost under $100 but I could spring for the AQ Carbon.
    I am using the WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable. Bought it from The Cable Company. I was just getting my hi-rez setup going and didn't want to spend too much on cables. I also bought a Starlight 7 AES/EBU cable at the same time.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I am using the WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable. Bought it from The Cable Company. I was just getting my hi-rez setup going and didn't want to spend too much on cables. I also bought a Starlight 7 AES/EBU cable at the same time.

Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti-Cable USB is great but it sells for over $200. My limit is about $100 and around $75. I have not found that cables make much of any difference in my system. The one cable that made a difference was an AQ Coral IC which tamed some sibilants. A guy on the forum sent me some Synergistic Research cables and they sounded about the same as BJC IC's.

I will probably by the Starlight 7 as people seem to like it and it is not too expensive.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

[QUOTE=blackraven;405107]Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti

I had a cheapo USB cable that I used when I was first trying out the whole hi-rez thing. Then when I started to find more material to download, I got more serious with my source and my cables. When you have your next DAC shootout, you should get your guests to bring any USB cables that they are using.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Suspended
    I haven't tried the WW USB but had a chance to play with some of their RCA's and they make a very good cable. Just in general I'd prefer the sound of WW over AQ. You might also see what an entry Analysis Plus USB runs.

Yes...I've used the starlight 7 before I got the Neutral cable. Nice rich tones....I still use a Wireworld Ultra Violet 7 from the computer to the iFI PSU and the Neutral from the PSU to the DAC. But whats really the star of the show is the WireWorld RCA cable I have coming from the DAC into the preamp. Its a Silver Eclipes 7 OCC Silver over OCC copper. But its $700,,,But an Excellent RCA!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Jack, have you compared it to other usb cables? I have a friend that bought a $600 cable and swears it makes a huge difference. I have heard that the Anti-Cable USB is great but it sells for over $200. My limit is about $100 and around $75. I have not found that cables make much of any difference in my system. The one cable that made a difference was an AQ Coral IC which tamed some sibilants. A guy on the forum sent me some Synergistic Research cables and they sounded about the same as BJC IC's.

I will probably by the Starlight 7 as people seem to like it and it is not too expensive.
    Shortly after I got a latest DAC, my Schiit Bifrost Uber, I got a Pangea USB that used silver plated signal wires and cost about $100. I had a 15' cable run which is the official limit for USB, so I thought it might make a difference. In fact it make no difference, that I that I was aware of vs. my $15 USB from TigerDirect; (I didn't do a lot of A-B'ing so I can't be completely sure).

Some time ago, as some might remember, I compared 5 or 6 interconnects, (which are analog, of course). I felt I could hear a difference and I ended up buying a Transparent 'The Link' from a fellow forum member. However I certainly felt too that the differences were very small -- nothing like swapping amps, DACs, or other active component.

When you're into $5000+ components, a couple of hundred bucks for a fancy cable isn't excessive for a slight improvement, but I suspect "huge differences" are delusional -- either that or the replaced cable was defective.

Of course, there are folks who will argue that if you hear not difference with the $200 cable then obviously you need to step up to a $1000 cable, but I'm skeptical.

Suspended
    Frenchmon, is Neutral a brand or who makes it? Would that be in Blackraven's budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Frenchmon, is Neutral a brand or who makes it? Would that be in Blackraven's budget?
    I looked at the Neutral Cable too, and it looks like a very nice product. The cheapest USB cable is 120 euros which converts to $131 US, so it would stretch Blackraven's budget. The Analysis Plus that you recommended runs $79 for the better of the two listed on The Cable Company website.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Peabody...Neutral cable is a brand and its made in Italy. The owner is Fabio Sorrentino. He makes great cables. Each is made to order. Their budget cable is a little out of Ravens range.....but he is welcome to send Fabio an email to specify what he wants in a cable and he may be able to get a better price than whats showing on his site.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: Neutral Cable FASCINO interconnect and Power Cable review

Neutral Cable - Fascimo Interconnects and Power Cables | Hifi Pig

Here is a great company that makes great cables and is in his price range.

USB - Forza AudioWorks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Thanks guys, I will probably go with the Starlight and then buy a Regen after speaking with my friend who bought the Regen and loves it.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

One of the guys on the Audio Shark forum recommended the new Straight Wire Level 3 USBF 2.0 wire for $150. It has filters on each end of the cable. The dealer says he uses one and it sounds better than the $2K cable he was using. I am concerned that the filtering wound be redundant if I get a Regen.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

IF your going to get a Regen...dont worry about spending great money on USB cables. The Regen is the dominate component and chances are 90% that the cable plays a great roll in your system. Users of the Regen are reporting the Regen pretty much only yields about 10% of a cables abilities.

Thread Information