Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar

Termination questions????

I just bought a pair of original Realistic Mach One Speakers that have spade screw posts in the back. My 12g wire is really flimsy on it so i would like to add spade terminations, which seems easy enough

now the issue here is i dont wanna use un-terminated on the other end, but my Int. amp has push pin posts.

can i used banana plugs in my push pins, they accept my 12g wire fine, unlike other push pins ive encountered.

any input would be great.

thanks

Banana plugs are generally too thick for push-in connectors. You might want to look for "pin connectors" at your local Radio Shack. Either that, or tin (twist and solder) the ends

But, in all honesty, the malleability of twisted bare wire allows it make a better connection with those "push and insert" type connectors.

Of course, most of this is dependent on the amp's speaker terminals being physically able to accept 12 gauge wire.
    Last edited by markw; 08-08-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Banana plugs are generally too thick for push-in connectors. You might want to look for "pin connectors" at your local Radio Shack. Either that, or tin (twist and solder) the ends

But, in all honesty, the malleability of twisted bare wire allows it make a better connection with those "push and insert" type connectors.

Of course, most of this is dependent on the amp's speaker terminals being physically able to accept 12 gauge wire.
    it fits in there fine, but it comes out easy, and is kind of annoying. the hole is large enough for 10g i rekin. are you sure a banana wont fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    it fits in there fine, but it comes out easy, and is kind of annoying. the hole is large enough for 10g i rekin. are you sure a banana wont fit?
    What comes out easy...the banana plug or the bare wire?

the bare wire, it seems like the wire is too heavy for the terminal. idk. all i wanna know is if i can use a banana in my push pin!

12 fits in fine, even when its mangled up, which prob makes it the size of a 10

all i wanna know is if i can use a banana in my push pin!
    You can use any connector that will go in, make contact and come out...including banana. However, Monster Cable makes a connector with a flexible tip that I suspect might be just right for your application. I've seen them at Fry's.

dont have a frys near me, just radio shack and bestbuy!

dont have a frys near me, just radio shack and bestbuy!
    I think those stores carry Monster Cable accessories, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I think those stores carry Monster Cable accessories, too.
    I shall take a look, thanks for the advice!

you're looking at the hole, not us.

the bare wire, it seems like the wire is too heavy for the terminal. idk. all i wanna know is if i can use a banana in my push pin!

12 fits in fine, even when its mangled up, which prob makes it the size of a 10
    Virtually all push-to-insert speaker terminals I've run into have been too small to accept big wires and banana plugs, and this goes back to the seventies when these first became popular, and well before.

But, I'm always open to learn new things. I have been for the forty five years I've been involved in this hobby. Now, since you don't even bother to mention what type of amp you're using, our answers could be only be based on our experience. Apparantly this isn't good enough for you. You demand an exact answer.

Like I said in the subject like, you're the only one who has any basis to make this call because you're the only one who can see the fargin' thing. Why not just go to your local Radio Shack, pick up some bananas, and stick a banana in your hole and answer the question for yourself. Or is that too much effort?

If they don't fit, return them. D'oh!
    Last edited by markw; 08-09-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Virtually all push-to-insert speaker terminals I've run into have been too small to accept big wires and banana plugs, and this goes back to the seventies when these first became popular, and well before.

But, I'm always open to learn new things. I have been for the forty five years I've been involved in this hobby. Now, since you don't even bother to mention what type of amp you're using, our answers could be only be based on our experience. Apparantly this isn't good enough for you. You demand an exact answer.

Like I said in the subject like, you're the only one who has any basis to make this call because you're the only one who can see the fargin' thing. Why not just go to your local Radio Shack, pick up some bananas, and stick a banana in your hole and answer the question for yourself. Or is that too much effort?

If they don't fit, return them. D'oh!
    sorry if i seem pushy, i dont drive so i try not to have to go places as much as possible.
    I didnt know that i didnt say what type of receiver i was using.

a pioneer sa-730 integrated amp.

I'm ordering a pair from bluejeans when i order my new speaker wire so we shall see what happends, if they done fit....keep um till i get my new amplifier.

easy as that!!

Its strange that it was able to take 12 so easy, evey other push pin ive encountered would fight at 14 if it was even a big mangled.

so thats why i figured that it might be possible to get a banana to fit in there.

After seeing your receiver and your short runs to the speakers, I think if I were in your shoes I'd probably just use 16-gauge speaker wire if it's cheaper at Radio Shack than the wire at Blue Jeans Cable. As you've stated in previous posts, your system isn't designed to be high end. Of course, Blue Jeans is still a decent option, since it's only a few bucks to get enough cable to run to your setup.

You mean this pioneer sa-730?

http://www.yes80.com/pioneeramp.html

You've never seen a banana plug in the flesh, have you?

yes ive seen one, just not in a long time.

i figured it was worth a try, its a large hole. doesnt monster make a pin size one?

Monster Cable connector

This is the one I was thinking of...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    This is the one I was thinking of...
    would that fit, it looks quite small?

Here is the Radio Shack part number for crimp on pin terminators for speaker cable. These are copies of the Monster Cable ones. the price is $8.99. Unfortunately they are web only.

Model: AGPRHMKII | Catalog #: 55030322

This is the Monster Cable these are $19.99 Web only
    Model: QL GFP-H | Catalog #: 278-2756
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

thanks, thats just what I wanted!

One reason that these push pin connectors fell out of favor was that regardless of wire or pin type, the spring just wasn't strong enough to maintain a gas tight connection seal.

No matter what you eventually end up with I propose a scheduled (yearly at least) clean up of the connection. If bare wire; strip off a short fresh piece, if a commercial connector, use a contact cleaner to refresh the contact surface.

Beware if you end up with a gold plated connector, often the gold plating is microscopically thin and even these weak springs will cut right through it. Examine the connector in a good light and clean as needed. No abrasives on gold, it doesn't need it and you may in fact remove the thin layer. On other surfaces the eraser on a pencil has just about the right amount of abrasive.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    What's the opinion here on gold plated cabling, being connected to "non-gold" connectors in the gear ?

Thread Information