Thread: Tara Labs IC's

Tara Labs IC's

I bought a pair of Tara Labs Axiom RSC cables off Audiogon for $46, it normally sold for $139pr. It's a very well made cable with locking RCA connectors. It has a nice detailed sound. Very good bass, deep and punchy with a smooth airy, slightly warmer midrange and extended highs, more so than my BJC's. My only problem with them is the extended highs cause some sibilance in my system which has been a problem with my Magnepans and my Parasound Amp. I tried a pair of Virtue Audio Nirvana's which lacked over all detail and high frequency extension. So far I am sticking with the BJC's. I will use the Tara's in another system.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I have lots of Tara cables but all older models. I only compared them to B&Rs, Monster, Audioquest, and Kimber PBJs and I liked the Taras over all. I have 1 pair of Gronebergs that cam with my Stratos which are interesting but none of the above compare to my Synergistic Kaleidoscope ICs.

I also have a set of Prism Bi Wire Speaker cables that are not in use, again because I am using Synergistic cables.

For Tara, I have several Quantum Models and a few pairs of the Original S, which are plain black but very good cabled.

I also have a set of Tara Vision A/V cables.
    Quantum 66
    Prism 22

You did not say where you placed the cable, between CDP and Pre or Pre and Amp? Did you try switching that placement? I find certain cables sound better between the CDP and Pre and others are better between the Pre and Amp.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    I bought a pair of Tara Labs Axiom RSC cables off Audiogon for $46, it normally sold for $139pr. It's a very well made cable with locking RCA connectors. It has a nice detailed sound. Very good bass, deep and punchy with a smooth airy, slightly warmer midrange and extended highs, more so than my BJC's. My only problem with them is the extended highs cause some sibilance in my system which has been a problem with my Magnepans and my Parasound Amp. I tried a pair of Virtue Audio Nirvana's which lacked over all detail and high frequency extension. So far I am sticking with the BJC's. I will use the Tara's in another system.
    Blackraven...why dont you try a A+ entry level interconnect? Peabody and I did a shoot out with one pair and BJC and the A+ beat them. They are under $100 a set and I have them on all my gear. I soon will be moving up to the The new MICRO Copper Oval-IN cables and these will go into a second system.

Also, for your tube preamps, you might want to try a Wireworld Electra 52. PC They are great for tubed preamps. I also told a buddy about it over at Audiokarma about the WW Electra 52 about a month ago, I got word back from him yesterday that he noticed a big improvement as well.

Some times over on Ebay I see nice deals every now and then with Analysis Plus interconnects and speaker wire....so keep checking for deals.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

HyFi, I tried them between my preamp and amp and DAC and pre. The soundwas the same. I really like the Tara's, they are the best sounding cables that I have except for the sibilance. It's not a good match for my Parasound and the Maggies which have a hot tweeter.

Frenchmon, I have bid on a couple of pairs of Analysis Plus oval's and lost out. As far as upgrading power cords, my AVA gear has wired power cords, only the newer AVA gear uses IEC cords. I have tried an after market AudioQuest power cord on my amp and CD player with out any change in sound. I may try different speaker cables.

My BJC IC's don't cause any sibilance with my current tube set up using vintage 1950's Syslvania and Raytheon 6CG7's Black Plates in my preamp and DAC. The Tara Labs IC's are an excellent sounding cable with a better sound than the BJC's but the last thing my Maggies and Parasound need are more high frequency energy.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you decide to sell the A+'s let me know.

By the way Frenchmon, have you been over to Mr. P's house to hear the tubes that I have sent him?
    Last edited by blackraven; 04-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    HyFi, I tried them between my preamp and amp and DAC and pre. The soundwas the same. I really like the Tara's, they are the best sounding cables that I have except for the sibilance. It's not a good match for my Parasound and the Maggies which have a hot tweeter.

Frenchmon, I have bid on a couple of pairs of Analysis Plus oval's and lost out. As far as upgrading power cords, my AVA gear has wired power cords, only the newer AVA gear uses IEC cords. I have tried an after market AudioQuest power cord on my amp and CD player with out any change in sound. I may try different speaker cables.

My BJC IC's don't cause any sibilance with my current tube set up using vintage 1950's Syslvania and Raytheon 6CG7's Black Plates in my preamp and DAC. The Tara Labs IC's are an excellent sounding cable with a better sound than the BJC's but the last thing my Maggies and Parasound need are more high frequency energy.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you decide to sell the A+'s let me know.

By the way Frenchmon, have you been over to Mr. P's house to hear the tubes that I have sent him?

Hi Raven...If I decide to sell I will let you know. A+ cables are good, lets the detail through and they are not a bright cable. No I have not been over there yet to hear the tubes. But he has told me how nice the tubes are. But I do need to get over there to take a listen. Are you selling them to him? Have you heard the Radiotechnique tubes? I am really leaning on getting a 12Au7.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Hi Raven...If I decide to sell I will let you know. A+ cables are good, lets the detail through and they are not a bright cable. No I have not been over there yet to hear the tubes. But he has told me how nice the tubes are. But I do need to get over there to take a listen. Are you selling them to him? Have you heard the Radiotechnique tubes? I am really leaning on getting a 12Au7.
    I sent Mr.P 5 sets of tube to try. The tubes that he like I only have 1 pair of, so I am not selling them. I will be sending him a few others to try later this week. Frenchmon, I don't know much about the 12Au7's but a friend of mine does.

Here is a list of IC's that I currently have-

Tara Axiom RSC-a very musical cable with excellent air and sound stage. Very good detail and deep bass. Good high frequency extension.

AudioQuest Corals- which has a very nice slightly warmer sound with good detail. Unfortunately, I gave the pair to my son.

AudioQuest Ruby's which sound ok but nothing special. It is a neutral sounding IC. Not very musical though.

BJC's- which does every thing well. Neutral sounding with good detail and HF sound. They have good air and deep bass. Not as musical or detailed as the Tara's. A great buy for $30pr.

Monster 1000i- these actually are a good cable but are not worth the $200 list price. I paid $30 for a used pair off Ebay. They have an even sound with good detail. They could be more musical though.

Virtue Audio Nirvana's- they have a warmer sound but lack detail. They tend to smooth things over. Definitely not worth their $75 price. ( I paid $40 for a used pair).
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP