Forum Regular

Suggestions please?

Have Denon 2803 that I bought last year and now have ordered SVS PB-10 sub and 2 SBS-01 's. The guy at SVS said to go to Home Depot and buy 12 gage wire and to connect up to the Denon. I, like some others on this site, do not want to spend a fortune on speaker wires. To complicate matters, I received a $50 gift card at Circuit City. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Go to Home Depot and buy wire. Use your $50 gift on good music.

I second the motion and would add good movies to the use of the CC card.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your suggestions. I went to Home Depot this afternoon and got some 12 gage speaker wire. My next question, is the wire just for the sub, or will it work well on the SBS-01's? Should I get banana clips for them if I use the 12 gage for the bookshelf speakers or should I just wrap the wire around the post and tighten the terminals? Sorry for such dumb questions.

Bare wire, banana plugs, spade lugs.. .Sound wise it doesn't matter.

Bare wires wrapped around the terminals are THEORETICALLY the best method because there is one less junction in the signal path. In the real world however, the sound differences are not to be heard. The down side to bare wires is the possibility of one single teeny weeny wire getting loose and shorting out the whole system, the odds of which are exponentially increased as the distance between the connectors decreases.

IMNSHO, I couldn't live without banana plugs, particularly when dealing with the back of a modern HT receiver where real estate is at a premium.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, Mark,
    Then my question is: the banana plugs that I have seen (Home Depot which were RCA brand and the Monster plugs at Circuit City) seemed too small for 12 gage wire. Will they fit and, more importantly, will they be secure without pulling out easily.
    Thanks,
    RickG

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Here's a bunch of banana plugs from Parts Express

Most list what size wire they accept.
    These are pretty cool at $3.45/pair. They give several connection options and take wire bigger than 12 gauge.

These are only $0.65 each and will do the job just fine. also RED

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply! You guys are great!

Forum Regular
    you definitely don't want to buy any wire or connectors at CC since it is so overpriced there and all you can get is Monster. Either get the 12 ga. from home cheapo or look for other alternatives online. One option I am considering is the 12 ga. Belden from bluejeans cable only $0.38 per foot.

use the gift card for something else.

Forum Regular
    Zepman,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to order from Blue Jeans and they made me custom cables and they were delivered very quickly. Thanks, again to this forum for putting me in touch with them. I used the CC gift card for a new paper shredder!

Thanks to all of you for educating me about CC and BB! I feel I am a more savy shopper. I am still waiting for the SVS speakers and am getting excited about hooking them up to the Denon.

Thread Information