Thread: Subwoofer & RG6

AR Newbie Registered Member

Subwoofer & RG6

Hello,
    This should not be complicated, but still, it just does not make sense to me......

We had the family room in our new house wired for 5.1 sound. The installer used 1 RG6 cable for the subwoofer location and standard 16-gauge, 2-wire, cable for the other speaker locations. The 2-wire cable is fine and makes sense. However, the RG6 does not.

The subwoofer wall plate that I bought has 2 each of RCA connectors - red & black. The main wall plate at the amplifier also has 2 each of RCA connectors, also red & black. The subwoofer itself has 2 each of RCA connectors for input - red & black. The problem is that I have one RG6 cable running from the wall at the amplifier to the subwoofer wall box. As we all know, one RG6 cable has one central conductor and one shield conductor.

My, probably dumb, question is: How do I wire 2 RCA connectors with 1 RG6 cable?

you get one of these adapters -

Amazon.com: StarTech RCACOAXMF RCA to F Type Coaxial Adapter M/F: Electronics

and then you get one of these RCA Y connectors 1 female to 2 male

Amazon.com: Mediabridge ULTRA Series RCA Y-Adapter (12 Inches) - 1-Female to 2-Male for Digital Audio or Subwoofer: Electronics

Or you can get one of these Coax Splitters-

6inch RCA Female to 2-RCA Male Digital Coaxial Splitter Adapter - Monoprice.com

There are all sorts of adapters that can be found here-

partsexpress.com

monoprice.com

ramelectronics.net

bluejeanscable.com
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the information. But, I just can't quite let this go yet.

We have 1 RG6 cable in the wall. That cable has 2 conductors, the outer shield and the center wire.

This RG6 cable will connect to 1 RCA plug. The central wire of the RG6 will tie to the central pin of the RCA plug. The shield of the RG6 will tie with the outer conductor of the RCA plug.

The RCA plug will mate with the female receptacle of a coax splitter. The splitter will have 2 RCA plugs on its output end, 1 red RCA plug and 1 black RCA plug.

The center pin of the red RCA plug will be tied to the center wire of the RG6 cable. Presumably, the outer conductor of the red RCA plug will be tied to the shield of the RG6 cable.

I am guessing that the center pin of the black RCA plug will be tied to the shield of the RG6 cable. And, the outer conductor of the black RCA plug will also be tied to the shield of the RG6 cable.

The red RCA plug from the splitter will plug into the red RCA female receptacle in the subwoofer. The black RCA plug from the splitter will plug into the black RCA receptacle in the subwoofer.

If what I just wrote is correct, then I have a simple question: Could we not have accomplished the exact same thing with a single RCA receptacle in the subwoofer without the need for the splitter?

Many powered subs only need one of their two RCA connectors. This is because most AV receivers have only one LFE (sub woofer) connection. Check the manual for your particular sub.

A Y connector places two output connectors in parallel. They are both connected to the signal cable the exact same way.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information