Talking "When my wife heard new cables.." episode now coming from a magazine editor.

I am sure you all are familiar with "How my wife noticed the new cable.." scenario coming from some of cables reviewer out there. But such a statement coming from an editor in chief of reputable magazine such as High Fidelity is really disheartening (an he is a PhD).

Here are the excerpts from article where he is reviewing a silver speaker cable:

"I turned on the hi-fi system one evening after putting in the Slinkylinks speaker cables (that was the only change), put on some classical music, and began some listening while my wife was reading next to me. This was the first time she had heard the system since I put in the Slinkylinks (I do listening tests during the day by myself for the most part). She did not know I had added anything, but immediately pointed out the increased detail and asked what I had changed in the system." John E. Johnson, Jr.

Given that his wife probably didn't do any critical listening with his old cables, and probably heard the system while working around the house or kitchen, it is amazing how she (which probably wasn't sitting in the sweet spot) notice higher details with new cables. She should be a national treasure in audio circles.

It just make one wonder why there are so much confusion, bafflement, disillusionment, and argument over higher end cables. The above article might provide some clues

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...es-7-2004.html
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Montana
    I am sure you all are familiar with "How my wife noticed the new cable.." scenario coming from some of cables reviewer out there. But such a statement coming from an editor in chief of reputable magazine such as High Fidelity is really disheartening (an he is a PhD).

Here are the excerpts from article where he is reviewing a silver speaker cable:

"I turned on the hi-fi system one evening after putting in the Slinkylinks speaker cables (that was the only change), put on some classical music, and began some listening while my wife was reading next to me. This was the first time she had heard the system since I put in the Slinkylinks (I do listening tests during the day by myself for the most part). She did not know I had added anything, but immediately pointed out the increased detail and asked what I had changed in the system." John E. Johnson, Jr.

Given that his wife probably didn't do any critical listening with his old cables, and probably heard the system while working around the house or kitchen, it is amazing how she (which probably wasn't sitting in the sweet spot) notice higher details with new cables. She should be a national treasure in audio circles.

It just make one wonder why there are so much confusion, bafflement, disillusionment, and argument over higher end cables. The above article might provide some clues

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...es-7-2004.html
    Well, with a resistance of 1 ohm, the smallish cables might well make some audible difference. If that's it, then he probably could have achieved very similar results with a resistor.

But then his audibility data is totally anecdotal, no controlled DBT. But at least he is measuring the cables, which is more than most reviewers seem to do, though I can't find the data, and intends to keep a record of such data for different cables. It would be nice if he measured the overall levels and FR, too.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Hi Pat

I wasn't criticizing his measurements or his reviewing. I was criticizing his use of "wife" routine in his review. It just sounded so funny.

I compared his measurements of Slinkylinks speaker cables with measurements of other speaker cable done by Audioholics..

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...e_table_lg.gif

...and as you said, Slinkylinks speaker have extremely excessive resistance. As matter of fact, it have 10 time resistance [per/foot] of ordinary 12 gauge zip cord cable. Although the inductance of Slinkylinks is almost 1/10th of 12 gauge cable, but as it was noted, it have 10 times the DC resistance.

I wonder what cable design they use to lower inductance to such a low level

Forum Regular
    What's his PHD in, Crap-ology?

Isn't it nice to know that we don't have to take his word for it, his wife will tell us all we need to know. Mabye she should be writing the reviews and he should do the housework.

As I said to those who feel that somehow a DBT test between two cables is the end-all, be-all for evaluating wire, it is entirely possible for the infinitely inventive mind of man to devise audio cables that will make a sound system sound different. DIFFERENT does not necessarily equal BETTER. And as I pointed out in another thread; CLEARER does not necessarily equal MORE ACCURATE. For an ABX test to be of any value, the test should compare the wire to a shunt. Any perceptable difference from the shunt is an error whether you like the difference or not. When clearer is caused by a peak in one area of the spectrum or a dip in another, it is the result of a design or manufacturing flaw, not an improvement. Mr. Johnson should stick to floorwax or bandaids or something he does understand.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    As I said to those who feel that somehow a DBT test between two cables is the end-all, be-all for evaluating wire, it is entirely possible for the infinitely inventive mind of man to devise audio cables that will make a sound system sound different. .

All you have to do is use 24 ga cable to compare with 16ga or 12 ga. No design is necessary and audibly different under DBT. Greenhill demonstrated this a long time ago
    mtrycrafts

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    Isn't it nice to know that we don't have to take his word for it, his wife will tell us all we need to know. Mabye she should be writing the reviews and he should do the housework.
    By including his wife in the review, IMO, it made it less credible.

For an ABX test to be of any value, the test should compare the wire to a shunt. Any perceptable difference from the shunt is an error whether you like the difference or not.
    Would that really work? For example, if we shunt pre/pro with an amp (R&L channels), and compare it with same brand of equipment with a cable strung between them, then wouldn't the variability of equipment's sonic signature (same brand and model number) might influence the decision?

Forum Regular
    "By including his wife in the review, IMO, it made it less credible."

It wasn't credible to begin with.

"Would that really work? For example, if we shunt pre/pro with an amp (R&L channels), and compare it with same brand of equipment with a cable strung between them, then wouldn't the variability of equipment's sonic signature (same brand and model number) might influence the decision?"

I'm talking about nothing but a shunt, no other active devices. Yes, adding active devices could have an influence. A shunt is a purely passive device which is so short that it is regarded as having a completely negligable effect.

Forum Regular

His wife...

Maybe his wife is the President of Slinkylinks speaker cables.

Thread Information