Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Thanks so so much.. I will buy the wire tomorrow.. Just one more question before i but them.. My new apartment is in a funny shape, and therefore the furniture and room layout require me to place the speakers such where the right speaker has to be placed around 4-5 meters from the amplifier, but the left speaker is close to the amplifier (all in a straight line). Now i would ideally need around 4.5m for the right channel, and in keeping with the norm, i would need to keep the same length for the left channel also right? I would be able to do with 4m but it would be a bit tight, 4.5m would be ideal, will that extra 0.5m make a difference? Thanks all..

AR Member
    Yes.
    IMHO, the length should be the same for both channels. Most listeners will agree and its not because of the speed of electricity traveling in wire but for the ohms resistance, amp load matching and speaker load behaviour, etc, all effected. IME from a shorter wire you will slightly notice; louder volume and different tone control; brighter, deeper or livelier.
    A lot of high current signal is lost in long speaker wires. Best setups have amps near speakers; 1.5 - 3.0 meters (5-10ft). The 4.5 meter (15ft) you're suggesting with 13awg 4vs will bring you some additional signal loss and sensitive listeners like yourself who notice tone differences in wire will discover. If you're interested in speaker performance, consider moving your amp closer to the far speaker or moving or changing your furniture setup to better fit? Speakers moved closer together will have better imaging also and you save a bundle on extra wire costs.

Another idea you should consider since you're in an apartment, is to forget the new speaker wires for now and keep the existing for background music use only but focus your money into the best Sennheiser or similar headphones possible and a better cd-amp interconnects to setup a near musical paradise that would blow your mind, if you haven't done so already. ha ha. IMHO, this setup achieves a far better cost/performance ratio for one listener than a long speaker wire upgrade.

Good Luck.

Forum Regular
    My opinion is that you will hear NO difference with one speaker cable being only 0.5 meter longer than the other. That is an insignificant difference in length, given the level of system in which it will be used. I am NOT disparaging your equipment, but it would take a very high resolution system to reveal the difference....if any....of an additional 0.5m of cable.

Forum Regular
    Hi fellows, i did buy the cables, hooked them up two days ago, they sound very good BUT....
    I feel the volume level may have decreased.. What i mean is that with the former cables, i could listen to say Phil Collins LIVE at the 9oclock position and the volume would be pretty sufficient but after the cable change, i feel the volume is lacking at the same level.. Could this be a mistake made in the wiring? Or do the cables need a break in period? I have hardly played it for more than 7hrs.. Please help.. Thanks

AR Member

Burn-in required.

1st check all connections, be sure they are finger tight. Be patient, new Kimber wires will IMHO significantly improve within 48 hrs use and then fully settles down after 200+ hrs for critical listening. For a proper burn-in, it’s important to play lots of different music or use a burn-in/test CD on repeat and occasionally raise the volume loud, maybe warn your neighbours first.

After everything is working well again, interesting tests you could try and perhaps share your results with the forum since some will debate wire phenomenon such as these do not exist;
    A-B test the old and new wires, do they sound better or just different?
    If wires are moved around i.e. A-B testing or cleaning, is (30 min) more burn-in required?
    If the braid is expanded (diameter size enlarged from pressing together) by an inch, do they sound better or just shorter in length?
    If wires are raised off the floor, do they sound better?

Forum Regular
    The connections are solid absolutely tight.. Everything is solid.. I tried what u said and the Van den hul with the cheap QED IC sound louder, i thought i was hearing things, but even my brother noticed it.. Of course i have not played it for more than 48hrs, in fact only around 10 hrs so maybe thats the cause..

AR Member
    How are the new wires performing for you?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information