Forum Regular

Speaker Cable, Suggestions on a $50 budget

My setup is
    Flac (uncompressed music)
    Laptop - XFI Expresscard - Optical out / Toslink
    Onkyo 797
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100s

I currently use 33c Home Depot 12g Copper wire. It has oxidized (turned green), I read that it shouldn't effect sound quality, but it looks like sewage.

Any suggestions on new speaker cable 12g & <$50 (10ft runs)
    (Notice I said $50, as in total not per foot )

Quote Originally Posted by mademperor
    My setup is
    Flac (uncompressed music)
    Laptop - XFI Expresscard - Optical out / Toslink
    Onkyo 797
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100s

I currently use 33c Home Depot 12g Copper wire. It has oxidized (turned green), I read that it shouldn't effect sound quality, but it looks like sewage.

Any suggestions on new speaker cable 12g & <$50 (10ft runs)
    (Notice I said $50, as in total not per foot )
    Unless you spent $10k+ on your system, this will work just fine. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you want to put in inside a wall, this is double insulated. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    I'll 2nd GM's suggestion... But I'd also suggest adding some cheap gold banana plugs or spades on the ends of the cables to avoid the green sewage effect happening again..

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    I'll 2nd GM's suggestion... But I'd also suggest adding some cheap gold banana plugs or spades on the ends of the cables to avoid the green sewage effect happening again..
    1. I have some banana plugs, but I never figured out how to get them to work (wire would come out of them). Apparently you are supposed to sauter them in. I'm kind of curious how they stop the wire from turning green (unless you're referring to the tips, my Home Depot wire has a clear plastic casing, so you can see the whole wire turn green.)

2. Also, that cable looks pretty nice, and the price is nice. Think there will be any benefits over my current cable other then looks?

-Btw, would the "in the wall" cable be any better then the reg cable due to extra insulation?

1. I have some banana plugs, but I never figured out how to get them to work (wire would come out of them). Apparently you are supposed to sauter them in. I'm kind of curious how they stop the wire from turning green (unless you're referring to the tips, my Home Depot wire has a clear plastic casing, so you can see the whole wire turn green.)

2. Also, that cable looks pretty nice, and the price is nice. Think there will be any benefits over my current cable other then looks?

-Btw, would the "in the wall" cable be any better then the reg cable due to extra insulation?
    Some people do like to solder the connectors on. Can't fault that. Not all connectors are created equal though. I have some that are overkill and some that aren't worth their weight in spit. I haven't bought any from Monoprice so I can't speak for their quality.

The in wall cables have that insulation so that it passes building inspection regulations. Not sure if it helps with sound quality or not. They are pretty ugly though. They are also solid core instead of stranded. Some people feel that makes a difference. If it does, I can't hear it to give any advice that way.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    They are pretty ugly though. They are also solid core instead of stranded.
    They are stranded, and I kind of think a solid white cable would look better then clear/copper cable.

Btw, this is what I have now (left side )

I read that it shouldn't effect sound quality
    My experience suggests otherwise. Some years ago, I replaced some similarly oxidized cables in an electrostat's power supply and the differences were readily apparent. The oxidized cables were thin, bright, and edgy sounding.

rw

Forum Regular
    I just bought the 12g (in wall) cable 50ft spool & a new 12ft Toslink cable

For $30 shipped it would be hard to go wrong, esp since my current cable is oxidized to hell home depot 12g cable. Worst case, I just paid $20 for nicer looking cable.

They should work out fine. Let us know how you like them when they come in.

Thread Information