AR Newbie Registered Member

speaker cable question

Hello all out there! This is my first post and I'll thank those in advance for any help provided. Just recently purchased a pair of bookshelf speakers - Destination Audio (RBH offshoot) model f300r. Curious what guage cable would be best for something that size. I would welcome any other suggestions involving installation/hookup. I've never bi-wired before - is that something I should consider? For the time being I'll be using them only for music. Thanks again! ps...I'm not an audiophile if that isn't already painfully clear.

AR Newbie Registered Member

cable question

Greetings all! This is technically my second post- my first was moments ago in the "how-to" forum before I found this one. I recently purchased a pr. of Destination Audio F300R bookshelf speakers and I'm curious what gauge cable I should be using. Any other suggestions regarding installation/hookup are welcome. I've never bi-wired before - is that something I should consider? For now I'll be using for music only. BTW, I'm not an audiophile. Clearly. Thanks in advance for any help!

How long are your wires going to be? What kind of connections do you have on your amp and your speakers?

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Welcome to AR dvan! I have merged your posts according to AR Forum rules. Double posting is not allowed.

Now that we have that sticky matter behind us, into cabling...

This is a hot button topic among enthusiasts with opinions ranging dramatically. Some will tell you that cabling makes no difference, while others will have specific cable preferences.

Personally, I would recommend a guage no higher than 16. 16 can be suitable for a short run. I think alot of audiophiles prefer 12/14 awg. I use 12 myself. Start with just a single run of 12 awg cabling and get accustomed to the sound. After a few weeks, perhaps add another run for bi-wiring.

I was bi-wired for quite sometime. I had Audioquest Hyper Litz and DIY 14 awg solid core bi-wired into a pair of Mission 707. It was a great set up.

Hope to see you around and I am sure more of the guys will chime in. Do a search in the Cable forum and you'll get a ton of results on the subject.

Thread Information