Power Cords are no joke

So I just had lunch with a friend who brought over the Granite Audio 560 10AWG Power Cord which got plugged into the Jeff Rowland M102 Amp which is pre-amped by the KingRex HQ-1, Granite Audio #470 Silver ICs between pre and amp and BLC between phono and pre, playing the turntable and WOW WOW WOW what a difference.

I switched from the standard power cord that came with something and put on the Granite Audio and WOW. We played Tracy Chapman as the test record and it was a hell of a difference.

The bass was cleaner, tighter, and had more punch. The drums more snap. Her breath and voice more power. More depth to the music and cleaner sound guitar.

In fact, I'm out of here to go listen to more music! Later ya'll and if you get a chance to try an aftermarket power cord with your gear - DO IT!!

Grin.

Yep. I was a cynic until I won a Virtual Dynamics Power 1 on Christmas 07. I really wasn't expecting much but was really impressed. Amps really benefit from them.

Now the price of these things are another matter. I wouldn't have paid $600 for one.
    d HC b

Forum Regular

Another skeptic converted

In Sams Space(Stereophile April) ,an interview with Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio,Sanders said that cords from China, etc. are much worse than US made cords,even though he dislikes the whole cable thing. I checked my Jolida 202 tube amp ,and found a China 18awg cable. Bought a 12awg cable,with quality connectors, from a seller on ebay,for $26. Instantly better sound,maybe 20% better, mostly in the midrange. Now I bought some 14 awg cables from Monoprice to upgrade the subwoofers on my brother's Boston VR 965 speakers. Haven't hooked it up yet,but the bass on these $800 speakers always sounded muddy . The consensus seems to be that ferrite rf filters are good only on amplifiers cords. Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    So I just had lunch with a friend who brought over the Granite Audio 560 10AWG Power Cord which got plugged into the Jeff Rowland M102 Amp which is pre-amped by the KingRex HQ-1, Granite Audio #470 Silver ICs between pre and amp and BLC between phono and pre, playing the turntable and WOW WOW WOW what a difference.

I switched from the standard power cord that came with something and put on the Granite Audio and WOW. We played Tracy Chapman as the test record and it was a hell of a difference.

The bass was cleaner, tighter, and had more punch. The drums more snap. Her breath and voice more power. More depth to the music and cleaner sound guitar.

In fact, I'm out of here to go listen to more music! Later ya'll and if you get a chance to try an aftermarket power cord with your gear - DO IT!!

Thank you very much sir ....you just gave me reasons to spend more money ...bummer....not really

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    $26 ain't much for a big improvement. The ebay seller has a small cable business going,and has all good feedback. And no I'm not his brother.

Forum Regular

Obvious

I was running my Realistic STA 84 receiver,to Norman 8 speakers with a Dual 503-1 turntable,and Cambridge 540p preamp. Thought it was ok,but I was using cheap extension cords. Got a Panamax cord and Monoprice surge suppressor, and the difference is huge. From pretty good to audiophile. Getting power to the amplifier is crucial,but I expect everybody here already knew this.

Thread Information