Thread: power cable

Forum Regular

power cable

so recently ive decided to upgrade my power cord on my amp (rotel 1062), i have two options to choose from:
    #1. make a power cord myself so i can mix and match to what i want it to be

or

#2. buy one offline somewhere

my budget it only 75 dollars total i know its not alot but im sure i can get a lot for that, now what choice to do i have no idea cause i dont have tons of knowledge about power cords and such but im hoping you guys will lead me in the right direction or say what u would do,looking forward to see your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanianmckinnon
    so recently ive decided to upgrade my power cord on my amp (rotel 1062), i have two options to choose from:
    #1. make a power cord myself so i can mix and match to what i want it to be.
    Since your power amp has modest current needs, I would recommend making a Belden 19364 based cord. It is large enough gauge, shielded and inexpensive. You can buy them assembled for your budget or make them for half that. I use them with two different amplifiers. Here is a link that talks about making one if you are DIY inclined and have a VOM or continuity checker.

rw

Suspended
    Or you can get the appropriate Pangea cable from Audio Adviser in your price range. They have different cables for different components to choose from in several price points. I have heard lots of good reviews and then again some said it didn't help any.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Right now I am using a PSAudio "XStream" Power Punch. Excellent cable for only $99 on most sites. No reason you can't get something quality for a few bucks more Ryan.

Forum Regular
    where would i find that belden 19346 cable ? i can find belden 83803 cable on parts express but i dont know if i should use that. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...#windowcontent

this is not a bad pangea cable
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...C5&variation=1
    but i also like this one from ps audio
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PSJEPC

a while back i bought a ps audio xtreme statment 8 i think or something like that it was of 8 gauge construction, it was a really nice cord and im sure it would of sounded great but it wasn't flexible like i wanted it to be thats why im trying to find something thats either 10 gauge or 12 gauge.

i also dont need it to be extremely long like .5 metre would be good enough as my equipment is close together as u can see in the photo below. but 75 dollars is my max budget my gf is already getting mad at me for spending so much money on my stereo, i told her i wouldnt buy anything else till after christmas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power cable-dscn0347.jpg  

Suspended
    I'll be interested in what it does for your Rotel. I recently picked up an older one.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Nice pic Ryan...lookin good! It's nice to see your system developing so well.

IMO, that PSA cable looks to be a great value. They say that it's the follow up to the Power Punch, which I suggested for you. At $60 you really can't go wrong. Keep in mind that 0.5M is a VERY short distance, while it may serve you well for now, down the road you may regret not having at least 1.0M.

I always try to make my purchases with versatility in mind. Especially with a girlfriend hangin around dude!

Keep us posted...

Forum Regular
    Thanks its slowly getting better.

Yeah im thinking im gonna go with the PSA cable in the future, and im thinking it would be best if i got 1.0m just incase or if i ever want to move my equipment. Nope u cant go wrong for that the 1.0m is only 70 but thats not bad but its hard because its that plus shipping and since im in canada its a fair bit which sucks, i also just keep checking out audiogon and see whats on there.

Yeah i try to but it doesnt always work, especially when there around hahah.

The next thing besides a budget wise power cord is a Cd player im hoping, id like to get a matching rotel player but it depends on how much i can find one. If i cant find one im thinking about going NAD, or im not sure what else.

where would i find that belden 19346 cable ? i can find belden 83803 cable on parts express...
    It's 19364. 83803 would also work (I have one DIY flavor using that, too) and it has two shields, but it would be triple the price and it is very stiff cord. The 14 gauge 19364 cordage would work fine. Google "Belden 19364" and you'll find a number of sources. You can dress it up with Techflex if you like. Use heat shrink at either end for a professional look.

rw

Forum Regular
    yeah i dont want something that is gonna be too stiff, 14 gauge would be good enough i dont need anything crazy, i found some and its like $3.50 a foot which isnt bad and yeah i want it to look pretty professional.

One question i have is when i get the end connectors is it better to just screw the wire in or solider it in ?

One question i have is when i get the end connectors is it better to just screw the wire in or solider it in ?
    Not necessary, but desirable. Definitely verify proper polarity before doing so!

rw

Forum Regular
    yeah i might do that it depends on if i have this stuff at home, if not i could talk to my uncle as he is a electrician he should have all the necessary items

Forum Regular
    The Quail power cords in the link below will perform as well as high end cords at a fraction of the cost. Plus they look very cool in person.

Another forum did group buys on these cords as they are available in lots of 10. Some guy on the net renamed them "Iron Lung Jellyfish" and sells them for a lot more $$.

http://www.quail.com/catPage.cfm?catID=2

Audio Hobbyist Since 1969 Glen B's Avatar
    IMO using the terminal screws alone should be good enough. I have installed dozens power connectors in my lifetime and never had a problem with failure of a screwed termination. There are a couple of rare instances where I've thought it best to screw then solder the connection, but these were exceptions based on the connector design. If you decide to solder, be careful that you don't apply too much heat and damage the connectors. Also, whatever you do, please do not tin the ends of the wire with solder before screwing them in. You will end up with a poor, high resistance, unsafe connection.
    Last edited by Glen B; 11-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Regular
    those seem like pretty nice power cords.

and yeah i kinda figured screws would be good enough cause i dont want to mess anything up by soldering it. so screws should do the job for what i need

Thread Information