Ajani

Ordered a pair of 6' anti-cable speaker cables

So I was drunk (ok, just bored) and decided to order some speaker cables... So I figured why not try the much talked about anti-cables...

So hopefully my order should reach me sometime next week... I only have on hand some generic speaker cable to compare them to, but that should be enough to show if they make a difference..

http://www.anticables.com/home.html
    Last edited by Ajani; 10-28-2010 at 10:26 AM.

I hope they make you smile. Enjoy.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Charm Thai™
    Huh...just looked at their website, yeah should be fun seeing how they compare to basic stranded 12ga wire. Interested to find out what you think once you got em hooked up.

Suspended
    I'm not familiar with them but hopefully they'd be an upgrade from zip cord. If not, don't give up the search because some cables are better. Are you still using the Technics speakers?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I'm not familiar with them but hopefully they'd be an upgrade from zip cord. If not, don't give up the search because some cables are better. Are you still using the Technics speakers?
    They've been raved about by the absolute sound: making their editor's choice list for the last 5 years... But there is some debate about them as they use a very different approach to cables (solid core with minimal shielding - some persons claim they are basically just magnet wire)...

I still have the Technics, but they will be replaced shortly....

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am anxious to hear the DNM Reson speaker cable since I am in awe of their IC. I look forward to reading your review of the Anti-cables.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Anti Cables

This company stole my mojo! Ajani you should have talked to your boy, the Chubby one for anti cabling. I have been making shielded/unshielded solid core for some time now. Once you get them settled in let me know, I would love to see how some strands of my own cabling would hold up. I can send it to you free of charge, as long as you give it a favourable review in Stereophile and send a limo to pick me up from the airport.

Forum Regular

Hey Ajani

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    So I was drunk (ok, just bored) and decided to order some speaker cables... So I figured why not try the much talked about anti-cables...

So hopefully my order should reach me sometime next week... I only have on hand some generic speaker cable to compare them to, but that should be enough to show if they make a difference..

http://www.anticables.com/home.html
    Have you got the anticables in yet?

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy
    Have you got the anticables in yet?
    Nope... I should have asked them to ship Fedex or UPS... USPS is a joke. 10 -14 business for delivery (so anytime now I should expect the package)... Allegedly track-able, but the status has not changed from the first notification 2 weeks ago to say that the request for pickup was sent to USPS from anti-cables...

Jamaican post corruption? lol

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Jamaican post corruption? lol
    I can deal with the incompetence at the Jamaican post office... But What I don't get is why USPS is so crappy when it comes to tracking... I should have seen a clear trail up to the point where the package left the states... After that it becomes an issue with the Jamaican postal service...

Ajani
    So I collected the cables this morning... Looks like they were in Jamaica for over a week... USPS never updated their site, so I had no idea to expect them early... And my local Post Office doesn't deliver mail to my door... I'd have to go to the PO to collect mail...

Anyway I have them "burning in" now... Which really just means that I'm using them...

So first impressions... WTF??? I'm officially in the cable madman audiophile category now... Straight out of the box they made my generic speaker cable sound like rubbish... Everything just seems clearer and more dynamic... I will eventually test to see whether the cables or my DAC make a bigger difference to sound the quality... I'm very impressed so far... And most importantly they didn't cost very much...

Congratulations on joining those of us that hear differences in cables. Oh and once you go solid you will not want to go back. Glad you are enjoying the cables.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Congratulations on joining those of us that hear differences in cables. Oh and once you go solid you will not want to go back. Glad you are enjoying the cables.
    Thanks... nothing like joining the looney bin

One immediate advantage of solid core is that it is much more convenient to use without terminations, than stranded...

As a side note, the cables are beautiful, in addition to being very thin (because of the minimal shielding) and unobtrusive, high WAF IMO...

Suspended
    Yes, Ajani, welcome to the collective of the convinced. I thought shielding was a good thing..

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Yes, Ajani, welcome to the collective of the convinced. I thought shielding was a good thing..
    I thought so too, but apparently shielding is very useful for RCA ICs, but not for speaker cables... The thick shielding on most cables actually makes them sound worse...

Also, unshielded RCAs will sound better than shielded, if you don't have much interference in your environment... If you do then the unshielded should sound awful...

Forum Regular

There is always more room for one more loon..

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Thanks... nothing like joining the looney bin

One immediate advantage of solid core is that it is much more convenient to use without terminations, than stranded...

As a side note, the cables are beautiful, in addition to being very thin (because of the minimal shielding) and unobtrusive, high WAF IMO...
    Good to know you finally got em in and are actually enjoying them. Good thing they are making a positive difference in your audio system after having to endure all that waiting time.
    Stay thirsty my friend.

LeRoy

Ajani
    Good to know you finally got em in and are actually enjoying them. Good thing they are making a positive difference in your audio system after having to endure all that waiting time.
    Thanks... I never would have imagined that $60 could make a real difference in the quality of my setup... Especially considering my prior experiences with cables have not revealed any notable differences...

Clearly (in my system anyway) Anti-Cables lives up to the hype...

Stay thirsty my friend.

LeRoy
    lol... I love those commercials...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    So first impressions... WTF??? I'm officially in the cable madman audiophile category now... Straight out of the box they made my generic speaker cable sound like rubbish... Everything just seems clearer and more dynamic... I will eventually test to see whether the cables or my DAC make a bigger difference to sound the quality... I'm very impressed so far... And most importantly they didn't cost very much...

Ya what he said. I am enjoying my Anti-cables.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    I thought so too, but apparently shielding is very useful for RCA ICs, but not for speaker cables... The thick shielding on most cables actually makes them sound worse...

Also, unshielded RCAs will sound better than shielded, if you don't have much interference in your environment... If you do then the unshielded should sound awful...

My DNM Reson IC's are not shielded. The AlphaCore TQ2 are not shielded but are purled to reject interference. When I use the DNM's from phono preamp to int. amp I pick up country music from the local radio station. They work great from the SA8001 to int. amp and the TQ2 are able to reject the radio frequencies so they are used between phono preamp and int. amp. They both sound very good. Solid core, shield free and minimal insulation.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information