New Mogami cables

Current mood: excited

Well I never thought that higher quality cables made any real difference I always thought it was a bunch of hype, but boy was I wrong...
    I was using the Radio Shack Fusion cables which are good but when I replaced my EQ the other day one of the wires developed a short so I decided to replace them.

After doing some online research I stumbled across the Mogami and every where I read stated that these were the best there is or very good at best

I was not going to pay $100.00+ a meter as do most of the audiophile grade cables cost these days but did not want to suffer quality either.

I have been using them for 2 days now and, wow what a difference these cables made!

I am hearing stuff on my vinyl records that I never knew was in the recording before...like stuff going on in the studio or on the stage the vocals and instrumentation sound real it's as if a vale has been lifted of my system, its like...3D to your ears.

And these don't cost a a lot of money either. They will make them to your exact measurements if you want or they also have them pre-maid in specific lengths, they sell them by the foot not by the meter like all the high dollar cable manufactures do I really like that!

Link to the people that made mine:
    http://www.thecablefactory.net/index.php?cPath=107
    and they also do international orders and if you want custom lengths just go to the contact page and tell them what you require they reply pretty fast.

MOGAMI CABLES

Below is what they look like and some details about them.

Mogami gold plated RCA interconnect cable provides the high signal quality and flat frequency response needed in recording applications, and is also an excellent option for home hi-fi listening applications.

This cable features a layer of conductive PVC between the shield and the conductor insulation, which minimizes microphonics (noise induced when handling a cable which has 48v phantom power running through it) and provides even greater EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference) resistance for when it is placed next to cables with high voltages running through them.

The Science of the Signal Chain

In a music studio, the equipment used to create, process, and record sound makes up a signal path. Each component of the signal path affects the sound passing through it.

The cables that interconnect audio equipment in a signal path are just as much a component of the chain as the equipment itself.
    Many home studio and project studio owners carefully select the best pieces of audio equipment they can afford, such as microphones, preamps, EQ..'s, and tape/hard disk recorders. However, often overlooked is a detail that professional studios take careful note of: the cables.

A signal chain is only as good as its weakest link. One can have high-end microphones, perfectly clear preamps, and an expensive mixer, but if low-quality cables are used to connect the three, the recorded sound will sound low-quality. High-quality cables must be used to maintain a high-quality signal path.

Our Manufacturing Methods

To provide you with completely transparent cables, we use only high-quality Mogami OFC (Oxygen-Free Copper) cable and Neutrik connectors, and we carefully prepare, solder, and assemble each cable by hand. We use only lead-free, 98% tin/2% silver solder.

We employ a technique in the manufacturing of our cables that is not commonly used among cable manufacturers. When the joint between the wire and the connector is made, and the soldering iron has been lifted from the connector, we let the cable sit perfectly still for 10 seconds.

Because the solder we use is silver-bearing, this creates a molecular "silver bridge" in the solder. This molecular silver bridge enhances the conductance of the connection between the wire and the connector, therefore helping make the cable more sonically transparent and a strong link in your signal chain.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Because this was posted elsewhere I have responded to this post on the www.vinylfantics.com site. That's where I first saw it.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Well I never thought that higher quality cables made any real difference I always thought it was a bunch of hype, but boy was I wrong...
    I dont really agree with you on that.

I think the most important part is to find a proper cables in your system. Of course I've never played with $5000 reference IC, but I dont think there is a pair of ICs that'll be magical in every system. Have you introduced any new components in your system besides your Mogomi? Or maybe your previous IC was just terribly mismatched no matter the price.

I enjoyed reading your experience. Thanks.

-JRA

cables can do magic, before the previous cd player died, we used a cheap monster cable (yuck) now we use middle priced MIT cables and they do wonders, the monsters sounded so dry, so 'unclear' the new cables have made a big difference...
    but then again, they better make a difference, after paying 150$, that's the least you'd expect...

Peace,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I dont really agree with you on that.

I think the most important part is to find a proper cables in your system. Of course I've never played with $5000 reference IC, but I dont think there is a pair of ICs that'll be magical in every system. Have you introduced any new components in your system besides your Mogomi? Or maybe your previous IC was just terribly mismatched no matter the price.

I enjoyed reading your experience. Thanks.

-JRA
    Disagree you may and I welcome it you have every right to that what these forms are for.

Note that most of my components are professional grade, the Amps, EQ, Turntable, Speakers now the interconnects, bare in mind also that the Mogami Cables are still mostly used in the professional market i.e. recording studios, mastering, even on the stage but are working their way into the audiophile market.

And I wont go out on a limb and say the Mogami's or any cable for that matter are for every system, or that they are "the best" cable.

Although I did find during my quest (for the holy grail...sorry had to say that),
    For an affordable high quality cable the many people who use them are claiming them to be "The Best in the professional world". now I wont go that far but, I can say without reservation is that they are "Very Good" at best.

It's true, finding a properly matched cable for any system is of great importance,
    I know that now.
    And would guess it would be an ongoing challenge for anyone looking to properly match a cable to their particular system, since no two situations are identical..room acoustics, components, etcetera, etcetera.

Incidentally if anyone here knows where one or how one would go about finding that
    "properly matched cable"?
    Please chime in...

Maybe from the equipment manufactures recommendations?

Today there is such a overwhelming amount of information and recourses available to us now that we have the internet at our finger tips.
    So how do we sort through all the hype?
    I think thats the main reason why I was such a skeptic before about higher quality cables I just thought a cable was just a cable...right?

But which information source is "the one", who should we trust, the people selling it, or the people who have tried it.

Whoa now thats a bit deep, my eyes crossed just thinking about it, its like that movie "Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy" looking for the the ultimate answer.. OK back reality now,

As an example of what I called hype, just read this months Stereophile review on those $15,000.00 for 1, 2 & 3 meter cables (sorry I cant remember the manufacturer) all I know is that I will never be able to afford them and yes it was an interesting read but 15,000.00 dollars..really??

One Magical cable for every system?...
    True it is Impossible!

Have I added any new components lately?
    Well yes as mentioned in my humble review, I recently replaced my EQ, Added New EQ and it was then I when discovered one of the IC's (right channel) was shorting out, it did work but if moved around it it would cutout, so quickly replaced it with a spare (same brand).

I had been very pleased with the way the system sounded using the previous Radio Shack cables along with my new EQ, but my curiosity starting getting the best of me, so after doing some research.
    I thought...what the heck, just for grins and giggles give the Mogami's a try. I mean what could it hurt? Especially since they did not cost more than my car so I gave them a try.
    The Mogami's were not too expensive and were specially made to the specific lengths I required.

As far as the previous cables being mismatched?
    Well the previous interconnects were all the the same brand,
    Radio Shack's best quality (at the time) "Fusion", I don't think they sell them anymore.
    So no mismatched cables were in the IC chain before the swap.

Have a great day everyone.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Cool man I wasnt making any attacks on you, and you understood. I appreciate it.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

JRA
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 11-17-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Cool man I wasnt making any attacks on you, and you understood. I appreciate it.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

JRA
    Hey its all good man.

I kinda thought this thread would have sparked as much interest as it did on the Steve Hoffman site.

I did not mention this in my first post that other that their affordable price, the Mogami cables come with a lifetime guarantee, not even those 1000.00 + cables do not offer a lifetime guarantee.

Now that I have had about a week with them another thing about these cables is,
    I can not get enough music!

I have always enjoyed playing at least one vinyl record everyday, but since the cable swap I find myself listening deeper, my concentration is more focused on whats recorded on the vinyl and it has made listing more interesting and realistic.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Thread Information