Forum Regular

Question on Digital cable

I read somewhere that your digital cable from your DAC to your CD player or HD Converter box to A/V receiver should be at least 1 meter. Whats the logic behind that if any? Any truth to it? If we should not use half meter digital cables, then why do some cable companys make them in that length?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioAlleyCat
    I read somewhere that your digital cable from your DAC to your CD player or HD Converter box to A/V receiver should be at least 1 meter. Whats the logic behind that if any? Any truth to it? If we should not use half meter digital cables, then why do some cable companys make them in that length?
    Just another

http://chixlinx.homestead.com/files/...ightzone02.wav
    mtrycrafts

I read somewhere that your digital cable from your DAC to your CD player or HD Converter box to A/V receiver should be at least 1 meter.
    Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. There are alot of misinformation about cable on the net that is mind boggling. Having digital cable at a specific length for optimum performance is one of them.

Just buy a quality [made] cable at the length you need and you are there. Theoretically, shorter the cable, it is better. But for typical [short] length of IC, that theory does not enter the picture
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Yes, theoretically, shorter is better, but don't forget to factor in unanticipated/or anticipated changes in equipment placement and make sure to buy a cable long enough for that. I don't mean go out and buy a 10 foot cable, but consider a 1m instead of .5 or 1.5m instead of 1m., etc.

There's no logic behind it nor is there any scientific reason either that I am aware of.

However, these sorts of tidbits of information may actually affect how we perceive sound. If you think (and truly believe for whatever reason) that a one meter cable is needed then perhaps listening to a half meter cable will cause you to perceive the sound as "short" or "lacking" and replacing it with a one meter cable will "open the soundstage" and give more "depth". So some will say that perception is truth rather than reality.

People can and do play these games because science and logic cannot explain it. That's why sighted listening and having a fore knowledge of what you are assessing can play mind games with you. Some people refuse to believe that but that is a fact that can be demonstrated scientifically and logically. The need to use a one meter cable cannot be.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

Thread Information