AR Newbie Registered Member

need help on speaker cables

i want to buy speakers cables for my home theater system. i am considering qed silver anniversary biwire. when i went to a shop, the seller recommended some DIYspeaker cables at cheaper price. he recommended solid core oxygen free copper type 4 speakers cables, and they will perform better than qed cables. which cables should i buy? and what is type 4 speakers cables? thanks

Jason Monette
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboen
    i want to buy speakers cables for my home theater system. i am considering qed silver anniversary biwire. when i went to a shop, the seller recommended some DIYspeaker cables at cheaper price. he recommended solid core oxygen free copper type 4 speakers cables, and they will perform better than qed cables. which cables should i buy? and what is type 4 speakers cables? thanks
    The best Speaker Cables are comprised of 16 strands of Teflon insulated 22 awg solid 99.99% pure silver. It should have a complex braided geometry that is designed such that each of the 16 strands contribute to a balanced, round woven braid with signal and return strands traveling in opposite rotational directions throughout the braid. The end result will be an amazingly open, articulate, and full range cable free of external shielding requirements that impede the performance of typical speaker cable designs.

Why silver?

Pure silver has the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of all metals, and possesses the lowest contact resistance. And when you are moving electrons from one point to another, that is what it is all about.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Thought i read the the difference between siler and copper was so small that price was the only difference you would see{hear}.
    Look & Listen

Jason Monette
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Thought i read the the difference between siler and copper was so small that price was the only difference you would see{hear}.
    This would depend on quite a vew varibles. I would not get silver cables unless you have a high end system that would able to benifit from such high quality cables. There is no sense spending more your cables than you did on your system, know what I mean. I don't want to start up the great cable debate once again but I will say this. On my system I was able to hear a definate improvement in sound and my amp produced less heat when I switched to high quality Silver cables.

thanks for your explanation. from your explanation, i get that if i can afford it, i should get the qed silver anniversary cable. please correct me if i am wrong. because the price difference between them are not much. just couples bucks per metre. thanks

Jason Monette
    thanks for your explanation. from your explanation, i get that if i can afford it, i should get the qed silver anniversary cable. please correct me if i am wrong. because the price difference between them are not much. just couples bucks per metre. thanks

Make sure the silver cable you are buying is greater than 99.99% pure silver and also make sure that they are terminating the cables with silver connectors if they are terminated. It makes no sense to buy a silver cable with copper or gold connectors. If you would like, post a link to the cable so i can take a look at it and i will give some input on it.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Think i saw that impact acoustics has cables at 50% off.
    Look & Listen

Jason Monette
    It is my experience to stay away to from Plated cables. The cable you gave me the link for has a silver plated copper core. I would go the copper cable over the silver plated one. Reason being, you have a more conductive material surrounding a less conductive material. If it were me, and I had my choice between the silver plated copper core, or just the copper core, i would go with copper core.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

While I'll not argue the point on sounding better

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAudio.com
    I don't want to start up the great cable debate once again but I will say this. On my system I was able to hear a definate improvement in sound and my amp produced less heat when I switched to high quality Silver cables.
    I also use pure silver (5n) cables in my system. I wouldn't have kept them if there wasn't a difference to me ears. But, your amp producing less heat is patently absurd. Are you trying to say that a .02 percent change in the cable resistance between a quality copper, and a pure silver cable caused your amp to "heat up"?! .
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

It's my experience that plated cables can be good.

It is my experience to stay away to from Plated cables. .
    I use D.H. Labs SILVER SONIC silverplated OFC cable for my jumpers on my Magnepan 3.6r. The improvment was marked, and lasting.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Jason Monette
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I also use pure silver (5n) cables in my system. I wouldn't have kept them if there wasn't a difference to me ears. But, your amp producing less heat is patently absurd. Are you trying to say that a .02 percent change in the cable resistance between a quality copper, and a pure silver cable caused your amp to "heat up"?! .
    I didn't say anything like that. I just made observations on differences I noticed when I made the switch. I switched from zip code to my silver cables, so I really didn't have QUALITY copper cables.

Talking You were using zip cord?

I didn't say anything like that. I just made observations on differences I noticed when I made the switch. I switched from zip code to my silver cables, so I really didn't have QUALITY copper cables.
    For shame!!

A friend of my uses the blindingly expensive Nordost Valhalla which I belive are silver plated. He switched from the less expensive copper Red Dawn, but we didn't notice any change in his amps heat. He's using a Class A Krell, so it's always a wienie roast over there....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Jason Monette
    For shame!!

A friend of my uses the blindingly expensive Nordost Valhalla which I belive are silver plated. He switched from the less expensive copper Red Dawn, but we didn't notice any change in his amps heat. He's using a Class A Krell, so it's always a wienie roast over there....
    Yeah a buddy of mine uses that same amp, it produces some serious heat!!! But he doesn't help it out any, he has inclosed in a space that is just big enough to fit the amp I keep telling him to get some air movement going in there, but he doesn't care. I guess when his house goes up in smoke it will have all the air it needs

That's funny, but he better get it vented

Yeah a buddy of mine uses that same amp, it produces some serious heat!!! But he doesn't help it out any, he has inclosed in a space that is just big enough to fit the amp I keep telling him to get some air movement going in there, but he doesn't care. I guess when his house goes up in smoke it will have all the air it needs
    Even if he doesn't fry it right away, the heat will scorch the electronics and it will loose quality too. Stereophile just tested the new Krell 400ix and when it was smoking hot the THD was abysmal. (They almost fried the thing)!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Jason Monette
    Even if he doesn't fry it right away, the heat will scorch the electronics and it will loose quality too. Stereophile just tested the new Krell 400ix and when it was smoking hot the THD was abysmal. (They almost fried the thing)!
    I told him that, but he doesn't think so. I keep telling him that HEAT and ELECTRONICS don't get a long, but it is his money....

Thread Information