Thread: Monster Cables

AR Newbie Registered Member

Monster Cables

What are your guys thoughts on Monster Cables?

If we forget about the price....Given that they are a digital signal sent in binary, so its either a 1 or a 0, are they any better than standard cables over SHORT distances?

Would be interested to get your thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy
    Having owned some before, they are a low to medium quality product. By no means do they represent anything approaching the best.

Given that they are a digital signal sent in binary, so its either a 1 or a 0, are they any better than standard cables over SHORT distances?
    There are other aspects to data transmission that affect the results such as capacitance, shielding, quality of connectors, etc. I replaced Monster Digital coax with a very cost effective Blue Jeans Cable model that was demonstrably better. Look here. Warning: it will be intolerably bright until broken in. I left the transport playing a CD on repeat connected to the DAC for a couple of days to expedite the procedure. Once settled in, they are very nice. And cost effective.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    There are other aspects to data transmission that affect the results such as capacitance, shielding, quality of connectors, etc.
    I agree. Since the o'clock timing is embedded in the signal and timing is what keep the signal synchronize, it is crucial to keep timing and its instantaneous value change precise. Which mean cable with very low capacitance/high bandwidth. Also the signal is half strength of regular analog A/V signal, so good shielding is a must.

Warning: it will be intolerably bright until broken in.
    You're on your own there

Smokey, you don't believe in cable burn in!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

You are not starting another argument, are you?
    Last edited by Smokey; 09-05-2009 at 09:39 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Monster Cables

If we forget about the price....Given that they are a digital signal sent in binary, so its either a 1 or a 0, are they any better than standard cables over SHORT distances?

Would be interested to get your thoughts on this.
    Does a lifetime guarantee really matter when they charge you 10 times(or more) than it should cost? Like I said, I've built superior cables for 5$ at longer lengths, and they charge 35$ a meter.

What digital format (cable) are you using, coax, optical, usb, firewire, I2S?
    d HC b

Aging Smartass
    I have to chime in here with my own opinion. While it's customary here at AR to badmouth Monster Cable, my own experience with anything I've ever purchased from them has been nothing but entirely satisfactory and pleasant. In particular, the M-1000 series of cables have provided noticeable sonic improvements in my system and not for the customary "arm and a leg" pricing either.

The M-1000 digital/coax cable in particuar substantially out-performed several other, far costlier cables I had from Audioquest and whoever it is who currently sells the "Illuminati D-60" cable. Replacing a set of very costly Kimber solid silver interconnects with M-1000's (again, at a greatly reduced price) resulted in very satisfactory sonic improvements.

I'm sure there are better cables out there, but for my money, I"ve always been satisfied with Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    You are not starting another argument, are you?

That's the last thing I want.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I have sold Monster cable in the past and I have no problem with them. If you stay at the higher end of their cable's then they good cables for the money.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    I expected the feedback given on Monster cable on this thread so far.

Unfortunately in my local area, I simply have no other brands to compare which are $300 or higher.

However I can definitely advise that the monster cables are a substantial upgrade over the cables that come out of the factory box of most components (like the rca ones). If anyone goes on this thread and state the cheapie RCA ones that come free are better, then they are full of cr@p.

When there's only 3 brands available, you get to find out just how limited of choice one ends up having

However... I have purchased the higher models of the monster cables, I have to date been satisfied with the performance.

If you don't try the double-blind test with various brands of cables, you're doomed to be somebody's stooge. Forget the stats, whatever anyone else says. If it sounds right to you, Monster, Blue-Jeans, or $2 cables, there's a saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you can try before you buy, why not ? That is what a lot of people do with cars, other hi fi components, so why not with cables ?

My HDMI cable has a permanent upgrade policy. Meaning if I want to upgrade to the next model up, I can exchange it for the new upgraded version for just the price difference. They should do that with cars and other hi fi components

Hey if somebody sends me a cable of a different brand of the similar price range, and it's substantially better, I'll eventually swap to them when I save up. But I won't throw anything in the bin just because somebody states they are not good quality.
    Current System :

Xindak XA8800MNE Mono Block Power Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840E Pre Amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD Player and DAC
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MK-II
    Pioneer DVR-640H (250 GB HDD)
    Foxtel Digital
    Samsung LCD 40in LA40M81BDX
    Sony PS 3 (source - CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray)
    XLO Interconnects & speaker cables
    Sonos Wireless Music System

Upgrade Path :

1. Power regulation system

Suspended
    The Cable Company offers in home testing of high end cables and used.
    http://www.thecableco.com/

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I have to chime in here with my own opinion. While it's customary here at AR to badmouth Monster Cable, my own experience with anything I've ever purchased from them has been nothing but entirely satisfactory and pleasant. In particular, the M-1000 series of cables have provided noticeable sonic improvements in my system and not for the customary "arm and a leg" pricing either.

The M-1000 digital/coax cable in particuar substantially out-performed several other, far costlier cables I had from Audioquest and whoever it is who currently sells the "Illuminati D-60" cable. Replacing a set of very costly Kimber solid silver interconnects with M-1000's (again, at a greatly reduced price) resulted in very satisfactory sonic improvements.

I'm sure there are better cables out there, but for my money, I"ve always been satisfied with Monster.
    ...agreed. I think there are 2 kinds of audio enthusiast when it comes to Monster.

The first group painstakingly research and test connections and have a detailed understanding of inter-connection, to make a legitimate claim that Monster suck.

The second group don't want to be in any club which might include "Johnny Average". Since Monster are so popular, they discredit the brand without any real research.

I think you can do better with the lower end Monster products, but that could be said for several other brands. They do offer some competetive products in the higher end. A friend gave me an extra Monster optical cable which I think runs great and is a solid product.

Thread Information